Enroute Magazine - Canada's Best New Restaurants 2011 [General]

2011 Oct 27
For the list lovers out there, Enroute magazine has released its picks for "Canada's Best New Restaurants 2011".

No Ottawa restaurants this year.

They look at new openings that occur between June 2010 and July 2011. The 13 month window allows for another shot at July openings for the following year's list if they didn't get spotted in time. (Maybe Acadia in Toronto falls in that window. They are really getting buzz.)

You might be interested to read the section of the article titled: HOW WE CHOOSE CANADA'S BEST NEW RESTAURANTS

enroute.aircanada.com

It details the 30 panelists involved in making the choices. FYI, Ottawa Citizen's Food Editor, Ron Eade is on this panel.

2011 Oct 27
Yes, I have been on the enRoute recommendation panel a few years now. And I made two recommendations this (actually, last) year: town and Sidedoor. Sadly, I suspect town did not meet the time deadline (it opened before the official period cutoff for consideration) while Sidedoor, well, that was the author's considered opinion. And I respect her verdict. I plan to blog about this very soon on Omnivore's Ottawa but, of course, I was disappointed -- as I suspect you are. BTW, I am not paid one penny for my suggestions to enRoute.

2011 Oct 27
Wow, as the 4th most populous metropolitan area in Canada, Ottawa sure is under-represented! And I'm talking about the number of panelists not the quality, Ron! ;-)

Oh well, I guess these kinds of lists are really more about entertainment than accuracy anyway.

2011 Oct 29
Ron doesn't like subjective best-of lists, but is on the advisory panel for one?

2011 Oct 29
I suggest, I do not decide. Without my input, Ottawa would have no chance at representation.

2011 Oct 29
How noble for Ron to put forward Ottawa suggestions for a 'best list' that he does not like. Maybe someone else should volunteer or be selected for suggestions so Ron does not have to compromise his beliefs and Ottawa does not go unrepresented.

I wonder if Ron told Enroute he did not like 'best lists' but will put forward suggestions so Ottawa would not go unrepresented.

2011 Oct 29
I don't understand the hating in this thread...Seems to me that it was their choice to ask someone from Ottawa and they chose a prominent local food writer. I am a firm believer that being part of a process is a better opportunity to improve the process. Is he not allowed to have an opinion because he agreed to participate?

2011 Oct 29
Calgary also wasn't represented on the top 10 list, so we shouldn't feel too hard done by. No big deal if Ottawa doesn't appear every year.

Also should note that Pierre Jury of Le Droit was also on the panel, so Ron wasn't the only local representation.

2011 Oct 29
Pierre Jury is a good friend, and we contribute our suggestions to enRoute in the best interest of gastronomy and, of course, the Ottawa scene. We are selected because we, presumably, know something about the local food scene. Noble, Captain Caper? Not so much as Pierre and I wish to share with the country some of the best new entries this city has to offer. Do you, Captain Caper, whoever you are, sitting anonymously in a basement somewhere, suggest we just withdraw and sulk? We are better than that. I, first among them, will champion the talent this city has to offer, and any suggestion otherwise is, I submit, beneath us all. BTW, enRoute will not ask Captain Caper for his suggestion(s), and that's a big difference. That's where Pierre and I come in.

2011 Oct 30
To Ron Eade one modest man, alone, in the culinary wasteland of Ottawa...

2011 Oct 30
Every so often I start to warm up to Mr. Eade just a bit and then I read something like this:

"Do you, Captain Caper, whoever you are, sitting anonymously in a basement somewhere, suggest we just withdraw and sulk? We are better than that. I, first among them, will champion the talent this city has to offer, and any suggestion otherwise is, I submit, beneath us all. BTW, enRoute will not ask Captain Caper for his suggestion(s), and that's a big difference. "

You have made the point in the past that there is a big difference between bloggers and professional journalists like yourself. Seems to me you are quite willing to get down in the mud as you demonstrate here and this post is anything but professional. I am not saying I have never taking similar shots on discussion boards, but I am not claiming professional superiority over others.

It is nice that you participate on this board and I think it is a better board because you do. You have far easier access to food professionals than probably anyone on here and I have no doubt you are a lot more knowledgeable than many of us, certainly me, about food matters. But your ego and some of your responses are just a little too much to take at times.

In terms of the above post, I don't expect that Mark Bittman, who is a true professional and has a lot to be egotistical about in my opinion, would ever write anything like this or flaunt his ego as you have here. We can all do better in this forum but so can you.

2011 Oct 30
The pitchforks are out yet again. If this site is to regain/maintain any status as a place of thoughtful discussion on the topic of food in the city, contributors really have to start thinking twice before pressing `post reply`.

I really don`t understand the mean spirited personal attacks that have a habit of showing up all too often in the forums. Their is no contribution to the discussion at hand and by association every other contributor to the site looks like a similarly anonymous idiot with an axe to grind. Frankly, it`s embarassing.

Canada is a big country. It`s not surprising whatsoever that none of the recently opened restaurants in town didn`t make a top ten list comprising the entire country...so stop acting like somebody insulted your child. This provincial attitude only serves to hold Ottawa`s food culture back.

2011 Oct 31
Well said, Tracinho!

Personal attacks have no place on this site, but I'm reluctant to just delete them all because it can severely affect the delivery of forum content and conversation flow. I consider the forums to be more of a fleeting medium than the vendor/food review (buzz) section, so I rule with a lighter hand here.

This is the internet and to some extent conflict is inevitable. Ron's suggestion that anonymity can result in cowardly spite is spot on, although his comment about sitting in a basement made it clear that spite is not confined to the anonymous domain.

We are all here to share our love of good food and learn from each other. Let's try to get along! Or at the very least, remain silent at the appropriate time to give the impression that we do. If you don't have anything nice to say... ;-)

2011 Oct 31
For the record: in my post, 'their' should be 'there', and I regret the double negative in hindsight...

2011 Oct 31
Anything I say here (including: goo.gl/V7Q7t ), I'd be willing to say face-to-face ... after I crawl out of my basement.

Ron has showed his true colors here and in his blog before. I'll try and stop provoking him, even if his demeanor gets under my skin ... Besides, it's not really part of my true colors.

Now to count to 10 before I respond any further.

one ... two ... three ...............

2011 Oct 31
............ nine ... ten.

OK. I feel better now. Water under the bridge.

2011 Oct 31
I agree with Captain Caper. Let us move on ... because there's lotsa stuff out there to eat! Three, four, five ... Ahhhh, better.

2011 Nov 1
Has anyone been to any of the restaurants that made the list?
Opinions?

2011 Nov 2
I have been to the #4 resto: Les 400 Coups in Montreal. Just recently. Really enjoyed it. I wrote up a post on it.

ottawafood.blogspot.com

2011 Nov 2
I agree that Ottawa is entirely underrepresented. Pity. I guess I get to go to all the "hot food spots" in town without the direct competition of jetsetting loyal Enroute readers (?!)