Bear Sausage [General]

2011 Oct 27
I'll be in town this weekend and I'm looking for some pork butts to do up some sausage (15lbs of bear). I've been told to go 50/50 pork butt/bear. So I have two questions if I may.

Are there any butts on sale in town this weekend?

Any favourite recipies? I was thinking of doing Sweet Italian. I was thinking of stopping into Luciano's on Preston for some advice as well.

Thanks,

AH

2011 Oct 27
Pork butts at Lavergne Western Beef are probably regular priced the same as sale price just about anywhere else. Call and ask for a quote. Be sure to state how much you want because prices can vary by quantity.

2011 Oct 27
Thanks for tha zy.

I'll give them a call.

AH

2011 Oct 27
i picked up two butts last weekend to make bratwurst for our Oktoberfest party......you should call ahead, i've gone a couple of times and they didn't have any in stock.....the quality/freshness/price is very good....get butts there all the time for sausage and pulled pork....they have natural casings as well.

2011 Oct 27
Reminds me of summer work as a student in the bush. Had to shoot a bear, so I cut it up for winter meals. Hosted a bunch of fellow students for Thanksgiving where I cooked a roast for dinner.

Having served everyone and sat down at the table all I could muster up was "I'm so hungry I could eat a bear" when they all realized what we were having for dinner!

Make sure you season that up well as bear has a unique taste, this one was a berry fed bear and quite tasty. Check out Len Poli's sausage recipes on the net and adapt for bear. I would suggest to not use much of the bear fat and rely on the pork fat as much as possible.

My 0.02

2011 Oct 27
sorry....for clarification purposes....i was talking about Lavergne Western Beef

2011 Oct 27
They cut pigs Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and sometimes Thursday, so on those days it is rare for there to be no butts. But they can be out quickly the day after a cut.