Vegan-friendly Szechuan Restau? [General]

2011 Oct 24
Hey everyone,

We have dinner plans with friends on Friday, and it's up to us to find a Szechuan restaurant. We'd LOVE any recommendations for favourite places, and if there's good vegan selection, that would be fantastic.

Thanks so much,
Tina

2011 Oct 24
A few years ago I would have had lots to write here ... Szechan/Chinese has always been a good bet for vegetarian as well as vegan as there is not usually a lot of dairy and one can ask to hold the egg, etc.

I'm not so versed in the latest and greatest Chinese restaurants but I've always liked Ben Ben on Somerset Street a block West of Bronson on the North side of the street across from Yangtze. The place is not particularly fancy inside but it has a large fairly authentic menu.

Unfortunately, as far as I know Ottawa does not have much in terms of completely vegetarian Chinese restaurants the way other cities like Vancouver, Toronto and even Winnipeg do.

Looking forward to reading the input of other foodies, if there is one, they will post about it here!

2011 Oct 24
I asked some Chinese friends and one of them recommended "Beijing Legend" on Bank.

I wouldn't say Ben Ben is authentic Szechuan, but I'm no expert on authentic. I just eat what I like.

@flexie, it's hard to find vegetarian restaurants in China actually, despite the prevalence of Buddhism. We tried a really good one in Shanghai, but they still made all the vegetables look like meat dishes. One was like a whole steamed fish, one like sliced pork, one like a lobster. I don't see any point in making vegetables look like meat myself. If you're going to do that, just eat meat.

2011 Oct 25
Another response from my query to Chinese friends:

"There is one on Somerset street. Just east of Bronson Street. I think it's Chinese name is CuiLin. That's the most authentic one I found in Ottawa."