El Toucan - anyone been there lately? [General]

2011 Oct 20
Was driving on Montreal Road and passed El Toucan and it's bright sign. Just wondering if anyone has been there lately? Is it worth the drive (I live near La Cabana on Merivale).

2012 Sep 1
Was here about a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed. There is nothing fancy about this place, but the food was delicious, more than filling and incredibly well priced.

@Flexie: I haven't been to La Cabana in years because I don't like that the curtido is served in shared jars rather than being freshly plated for each order. Unfortunately, this meant that I had to pull a hair out of my pupusa one time and I could never go back after that. But, based on my recollection, the food at El Tucan is more flavourful and the meats more tender. I had a vegetarian pupusa, which I think had zucchini flower and cheese and was really tasty, and a chicken tamale, also very good. I also shared a side order of plantain and beans with my kids and it was excellent.

Based on the one visit, I'd say El Tucan is well worth the drive for a healthy, delicious and inexpensive meal. We plan to go back.