What to get until Beau's is back [Booze]

2011 Oct 19
I'm really missing Beau's Lug Tread... www.beaus.ca

Anyone able to suggest a decent non-pasteurized (preferably organic) beer? I know there's Cremore Springs, but it's just not Beau's.

What else is out there?

2011 Oct 20
Have you tried Boris Organic? Mill St. Organic?

2011 Oct 20
Another local beer that is very good "Hogs Back" Apparently the boys at Beau's helped them create this Vintage Lager

2011 Oct 20
hog's back is my go-to local beer.. (not organic though)

2011 Oct 20
Hog's Back is brewed in Toronto so not sure it counts as "local"

You did not list what you are looking for. Must it be organic? That really limits your options.

IMO most Ontario Micros are worth trying. Start out with some of the True North line from Magnotta. Some really great beers there. Available in most Beer Stores.

2011 Oct 20
Hey Zym -called the number listed on the web page and they inicated that it is brewed here in Ottawa

www.hogsback.ca/

2011 Oct 20
While waiting for bottles of Beau's to come back, I drove to the brewery and bought growlers ;)

2011 Oct 20
whoops, sorry organicgirl, but you did say what you are looking for ;0 ADD much/

JDK, that's interesting because it was always brewed in Toronto. Did you ask where it was brewed? I never heard anything about the move.

2011 Oct 20
I'm still seeing the Beau's Night Marzen in stock at some of the LCBOs; it's been on the shelves at two LCBOs that I've visited within the past week.

Enjoying the seasonal Great Lakes Pumpkin Ale as well (from Toronto). Actually, almost anything from Great Lakes, Grand River, Mill St. and Muskoka Breweries (all Ontario) are very good in my experience (Beau's as well of course).

2011 Oct 20
JDK - there is currently only one brewery in Ottawa capable of bottling and that is Kichesippi Beer. In fact, to that point, there are actually only two breweries currently in Ottawa - Kichesippi and Clocktower.

May I suggest stopping by the Kichesippi Beer Co. and filling up a growler. The beer is non pasteurized.

Hogsback - the beer is brewed in Toronto at Cool. The 4 owners are from Ottawa and have plans on opening a brewery in Ottawa some day but my understanding is that is at least a year away.

2011 Oct 20
Interesting ... now i want to call that number myself

2011 Oct 20
muskoka Mad Tom IPA is absolutely delicious! hoppy though

2011 Oct 21
I thought Great Lakes Brewing Company was based out of Cleveland? Or are you referring to a different brewery? The one I'm familiar with makes Holy Moses Wit, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, etc...

2011 Oct 21
There are two breweries named "Great Lakes". Along with the one in Cleveland that you mention, there's also one in Toronto.

www.greatlakesbeer.com/

They're both great breweries.

2011 Oct 21
For a local option I heartily recommend Kichesippi! I prefer the blonde but the dark has its fans. I'm about to go open a growler right now...

2011 Oct 23
Wow! That's quite a few suggestions, thanks!

Which of the beers listed above are NOT pasteurized?

I guess I'd actually prefer unpasteurized to organic. I'm sure my system can handle some conventionally grown hops for a short while! ;-)

Local is nice too, but not essential. And for what it's worth, anything made in Canada or Ontario is fine with me. I like to keep money in the community, but next best thing for me is keeping it in the province or country.

I might do what momo suggested, I forgot about growlers. But, I think it's still nice to know what else in the LCBO can stand in for Beau's when it's not there.

2011 Oct 23
Huh? What's the connection between pasteurization and hops?

Even if they are not pasteurized (which I have to doubt most micros are) the filters used are fine enough to remove 100% of yeast, if that is what you are after

2011 Oct 24
There is actually a third microbrewery operating in Ottawa (four if you count the Ashton Pub, which technically is in Mississippi Mills I think). The latest addition is Broadhead Beer, they just opened on October 1st. They have six kinds of beer available: a standard ale, a hoppy pale ale, a white, a "citra", a red/amber ale and a dark oatmeal stout. Marketing and sales development is still ramping up (you'll notice the website is under development, but should be ready by weeks end) but beer is available by the pony keg or growler at the brewery, 27-81 Auriga Dr. They also have kegerators for rent. For more information or to get a taste you can contact their chief of sales Jamie: Jamie@broadheadbeer.com That is also the company website.

Full disclosure: not trying to advertise on this site, but one of the owners is a friend of mine and this topic seemed relevant! Always nice to have some new local beer options on tap! Cheers!

2011 Oct 24
lol, zym! There is no connection between pasteurization and hops for you to get. ;-)

I like Beaus because:

1) It's organic (no conventionally grown hops or other ingredients)

2) it's not pasteurized (easier to digest, and generally indicates a better quality beer)

3) and the icing on this cake is it's local.

I like Beau's and I miss it, and the only other beer that I know for sure isn't pasteurized is Creemore. I know there's Mill Street for organic, but I wasn't overly happy with it either.

So, I was looking to see what other beers might be in our local LCBO that are not pasteurized. I was hoping I'd get lucky and discover another organic, local, unpasteurized beer.

No connection between pasteurization and hops, just a connection between me, and me not knowing nothin' about most of the beers that are out there. ;-)

2011 Oct 24
Oh, so we are allowed to talk about Broadhead now? Cool! I was out to the brewery about a month ago and really liked what I saw. Though they are technically "pico" and not "micro" - much smaller operation.

organicgirl, as I mentioned it is extremely rare for micros (or picos :-)) to be pasteurized. It is just way too expensive of a procedure for them to even think about. Though I don't get the connection to digestibility ...

2011 Oct 24
...local oatmeal stout?? I'm quite interested. :) (Says the man who made the mistake of going to BroueHaHa and is forced (forced!) to have another stout-tasting party...)

2011 Oct 26
Beau's is back fwiw (Lugtread that is). I've seen it at two LCBOs recently, including today at Richmond and Kirkwood.

2011 Oct 30
Hey organicgirl, is Beau's back in Kemptville now?
Something new-to-me I picked up there a couple weeks ago when there wasn't any and just now cracked (my dw put the 6-pack behind some wine in the cold room) and would be a decent beer when Beau's is out but will still leave you wanting the Beau's, is Amsterdam Brewing's Big Wheel Deluxe Amber Ale. Definitley not Beau's but an easy one to drink but it sure won't replace the Lug Tread. Maybe for next time they are out, eh? And it is unpasteurized, btw, but not organic, and from ...TO.

2011 Oct 31
Big Wheel is good, but I wouldn't exactly call it easy drinking.

2011 Oct 31
Well, tourist, what would you call it?

2011 Oct 31
I bought a keg of Long Shot White from Broadhead to a Halloween party on Saturday and it was a hit. These guys are definitely worth a trip to Nepean. Looks lke they'll be selling growlers soon.

2011 Nov 1
Beau's is back in Kemptville you say?? That's close enough for me to get to, what wonderful news! Thanks, Andy!

2011 Nov 1
It's come and gone again, organicgirl - none today.

2011 Nov 2
I'd call it hoppy... much more pronounced than beau's.

i am curious, why isn't beau's available these days anyway?

2011 Nov 2
tourist, read the very first post and it has the link to why it's not available right now.

2011 Nov 4
Oh, Yeah!! Beau's is back in Merrickville!

2011 Nov 4
Which beer stores have people found Kichessippi (sp..?) at? Haven't come across it in a store yet .. most recent visit was to the one on Parkdale

2011 Nov 5
As far as I know, Kichessipi still isn't bottling. I think at this point you can only get it in growlers at the brewery (866 Campbell Ave.) It's worth the trip, although sometimes I don't want to drink a whole growler...

2011 Nov 5
Beau's is still having supply problems with LCBO. Just got the last two cases in Ottawa I am told,hard to believe. They were hidden under some bags but the computer knew the store had some. One positive of the electronic age! Bank at Walkley says no Beaus until next Friday:(

2011 Dec 31
Thanks to all the recommendations of you Beau's lovers on OF, the beer drinkers in my family were thrilled to find that Santa left some Lug Tread under our Christmas tree this year. Cheers.

2012 Jan 1
I am surprised no one has mentioned Steam Whistle Pilsner. All natural, 4 ingredients, unpasteurised, and from Ontario.