Making Liqeurs? [General]

2011 Oct 16
I noticed that Solstice posted about making galliano in the "bottles" thread. I have never tried to make liqueurs, but am starting to think about holiday gifts. Does anyone have any tips/advice/recipes for homemade liqueurs? Or should I just stick to making cherry vinegar?

2011 Oct 16
A bit of discussion on it here:
Forum - Home made liqueurs

I've been thinking of Limoncello...

2011 Oct 17
homedistiller.org has an excellent forum on such topics and it is surprisingly easy to end up with 90% abv for use at home by fermenting sugar and a few nutrients. of course since distilling is illegal in canada i have of course never tried this but read about it on the internet ;)

now if someone had a neighbor with a black walnut tree I could get my hands on some walnuts and finish my liqueur!

2011 Oct 17
Distilling is illegal in Canada? I find that really suprising... which law is it that covers distillation?

I'm sure selling homemade alcohol is illegal (you need permits, there are health safety regulations, taxes need to be collected...), but the actual production for personal use seems to be ok, or there wouldn't be "make your own wine" stores and kits everywhere. It seems strange if producing the alcohol is legal, but not concentrating it through distillation.

2011 Oct 17
Wine and beer are not distilled.

Home distilling is definitely illegal in Canada

Though I understand there is a guy in Bell's corners who sells stills. So that is not illegal.

EDIT: www.home-distilling.com/

2011 Oct 17
Try homemade-liqueurs.com - lots of recipes!! They need to age for at least a month, so now is a good time to start, if making for presents.

2011 Oct 17
My sister is the queen of making liqueurs. She mostly mixes fruits, herbs and/or spices with Vodka or Alcool (still available in Gatineau)and lets that sit for the prescibed time (there are a number of recipe books around for that). She has made Lemoncello, Apple liqueur, blueberry liqueur, cherry liqueur, etc ... I personally have made cherry liqueur with fresh pitted cherries, alcool and candied sugar. Let that sit for 2 or 3 months and add sugar every 2 weeks ... turned out excellent. I based my recipe on the one for 'Liqueure de vieux garcon' on the Super Toinette web site. There are also many recipes online for that sort of thing. Distilling is serious business, probably illegal, and a very complex process. This works well and produces amazing results.

2011 Oct 17
distilling something equivalent to vodka is super easy and safe. you really only have modest issues when you do a grain mash based distillation.

fermenting sugar and water with yeast nutrients does not product any (or marginal) methanol.

one could distill a keg of local microbrew and you would be surprised at the amount of nasty stuff from the heads and tails that you would toss, but would not mind in the pint glass.

it is hard to believe until you see it in action!

2011 Oct 19
Not a liqueur, but I've infused vodka with garlic with great success. A must-try for any garlic lover or for those who want a really neat base spirit for out-of-this world Caesars.