Venezuelan Arepas [General]

2011 Oct 15
Hello, this is my first post! Just reading about Venezuelan arepas - a little bun with interesting fillings. To make the bun, you need something called Harina PAN, a very fine corn flour. Do you know where this can be bought in Ottawa? Thanks!

2011 Oct 16
I know you can get Masa Harina at La Tiendita on Merivale, but not sure if they have the PAN variety. They also sell decent commercially made arepas in the freezer section.

2011 Oct 16
Yes, the above or here: Mercado Latino
Harina PAN is the brand name. Grace Ottawa on Bank Street may have this (or another brand) as well.
Good luck.

2011 Oct 17
Not quite what you are after, but Alex's Bread and Deli (owned by a Venezualan woman) on Bank Street near Fifth, serves a very tasty arepa. I don't know if it is authentic (I assume so) but it is definitely yummy.

2011 Oct 18
As I understand it masa harina is not the corn flour used in arepas - they are made with a precooked corn flour not treated with lime as masa harina is. They can also be made without corn flour, using mashed cooked plantain. I thonk I did see the PAN flour at La Tiendita but don't remember if they had the white or yellow or both.

2011 Oct 19
I believe PAN is available at La Tiendita/La Cabaņa on Merivale Rd. Arepas are magical!!! Another totally underrepresented food in Ottawa!

2011 Oct 22
And if you're still looking Patricia, you can get yellow and white PAN at the Mid-East Food Center at Belfast/St. Laurent, $2.79 for a little more than a kg.

2012 Jan 1
Hey all. I picked some of this up yesterday at the Metro in Leamington Ontario. Will be here for a few more days and can pick up more if anyone is having difficulty finding it in the Ottawa area. Send me a PM.

2012 Jan 1
I have never tried making these but have bought actual Arepas at Alex's bread and bakery on Bank st.
Usually they are on the menu every day and the one I tried it had a kind of chicken salad filling and some avocado.
It was quite filling.
I think they sell for around $5? not too sure.

I was there on Saturday and they did have them on the menu.
Usually I get the empanadas w chicken or vegetables if they have those!