Seaweed Salad [Food/Vendor]

2007 Jun 30
Market 168 (New 168 Market ) previously carried small bags of seaweed salad similar to what often accompanies sushi at restaurants or with sushi take-out. The bag contained the seaweed plus two tiny packets (to add or not) - one with sesame seeds and the other with a fiery mix of sesame oil, chile oil and spices (and that small quantity: WAhhhhh!! HOT!!!). It was delicious. I'm sure if I went searching in other shops on Somerset, I might have some luck...but I like 168 (or Lim Bangkok at 794 Somerset - super good and the owner is a delight).

Yesterday at 168 I picked up a 1lb bag of "Salted Knot of Kelp" (2 bucks). Beautiful long thin linguini-like strands of seaweed. In a good size bowl, I put it through a few soak/rinse cycles with water. It grew a bit and my kitchen took on the lovely aroma of the Bay of Fundy at low tide (kidding - kind of). The result: pretty freakin' fine. I added a bit of sugar, a splash of rice vinegar, sesame oil, and toasted black and brown sesame seeds.
Also picked up: a bag of edamame and calamari rings. I eyed the green tea ice cream in the freezers.
I highly recommend exploring at Market 168.