Braised Goose Legs [General]

2011 Oct 8
A hunter friend of mine gave me 4 goose legs which I have to cook today. I want to braise them low and slow in the oven otherwise they'll be really tough.

Any recommendations on how to do this? What to braise them with, etc?

2011 Oct 8
I think the big challenge is taming their gaminess rather than making them tender--the usual approach should work (brown, mirepoix and other seasonings, wine, stock, stick in Dutch oven in 300 degree oven for a few hours, enjoy).

As for taking the gaminess down a notch...depends in part on whether you like that or not. Assuming you want to take it down a few notches, you could:

1) Serve it with a fruity sauce.
2) Include some tomatoes in the braising liquid (seems to work a bit).
3) Throw in some of the sweeter spices in the braise (cinnamon, clove, allspice).
4) Use some smoky bacon in the braise
5) Include some fruit in the braise...or use these as you finish the sauce before serving.

Let us all know how they turn out!

2011 Oct 8
No offence but I always chuckle when people want to "tame gaminess" in game. If someone does not like gaminess they should not eat game :-) I love it myself and see no reason to tame it.

Anyway, the deed is done. Onions, garlic, apples, a bit of oatmeal stout, some celery, salt, pepper and 3 hours at 325. Could have used another hour though as it was still a bit tough. Pretty damned yummy though - and it turned out to be 8 not 4, so we all had 2 each. And everyone loved them!

2011 Oct 9
Point well taken, Zym. I like gaminess, but there are times when it can a bit overpowering for my palate. I often have your reaction when people talk about how to tame the bitterness in rapini--I like rapini BECAUSE of the bitterness, not DESPITE the bitterness. Still, I am waiting for someone to post something tongue-in-cheek like "I always chuckle when people want to 'tame toughness' in meat. If someone does not like toughness in meat they should not eat tough cuts of meat."