Quick way to peel garlic [General]

2011 Sep 30
Cool!

2011 Sep 30
Gotta try that! I sure could have used this yesterday when I had a head of garlic to peel for a recipe....it was endless.

2011 Sep 30
I wonder if it works on fresh garlic - I find it way harder to peel, especially when you have a lot and need it peeled quick.

2011 Sep 30
Has anyone tried this? It seems too good to be true. :)

2011 Oct 1
Niiice! I will try this today. I hope it's that easy. Please be that easy.

2011 Oct 1
This is one of those things you learn in restaurant kitchens - old chef tricks. It works.

2011 Oct 1
I tried it this evening and it worked. It's not rocket science but it is genius.

Thanks for the link Zym!

2011 Oct 2
Hmmm... I tried it this evening. Red Russian from small bulbs. Not as easy as it looks in the video. Definitely loosened the skin on some cloves, but not all... and only one clove emerged naked.

Will have to work at this method a bit. Fortunately I was mincing anyway, so smashing with the heel of the knife finished the job quickly.

2011 Oct 2
That's what I was wondering hhh. You've probably got fresh garlic too; Russian Red is the main garlic I use, and it has a very thick and tough skin. I've yet to try this method though.

2011 Oct 3
In Soviet Russia, garlic peel YOU.

2011 Oct 6
Whoooooa. Awesome. Must. Try. Soon.

One speculatory question: would the size and/or material and/or shape of the bowl make a difference, do you think? (Guess I like physics more than cooking!)

Thanks for the link!

2011 Oct 6
I think the garlic and the bowls both make a difference. I used a pretty tight head of garlic so smashing it initially didn't help a lot to loosen the cloves from each other. I also used tupperware instead of metal bowls. Quite a bit of the garlic came out clean but some of them were still fully encased. I'll definitely try again when I need a lot of garlic though.

2011 Oct 6
I would think the older your garlic, the better this would work. I have very fresh garlic and it is difficult to get the skin off even with smashing it. Once it dried out more, it is easy to get skin off, so this method could be useful. I seldom need to get at all the cloves though!

2011 Oct 10
I work with a lot of fresh garlic and unfortunately this trick doesn't seem to work. The skins are too tight. Feh.

2011 Oct 10
I tried it in a 2L mason jar with 2 month old garlic and it had limited success.

2011 Oct 11
"One speculatory question: would the size and/or material and/or shape of the bowl make a difference, do you think?"

I don't have bowls like the guy in the video so I used 2 deep hard plastic bowls and like I said, that did the trick.

The garlic I used was the standard grocery store variety. Not too old, not too new.

2011 Oct 12
Just tried it. Mind. Blown. PHYSICS? I don't know. I used very similar "steel" bowls from the dollar store with some old garlic. Success!