Dehydrator [General]

2011 Sep 25
I read up on the older dehydrator posts but could not find where to purchase an Excalibur in Ottawa. This one seemed to have the best reviews...
Comments, suggestions?
Thanks!

2011 Oct 1
You can get it through amazon.ca:

tinyurl.com/3zdeos3

Even cheaper here, from rawnutrition.ca (free shipping in Canada too):

Excalibur:
www.rawnutrition.ca

Other Dehydrators:
www.rawnutrition.ca

2011 Oct 3
Rainbow Foods carries the Good 4U dehydrator that they claim is faster and quieter than the Excalibur -

www.rainbowfoods.net

Great warranty and good price.

2011 Nov 4
Slate article on dehydrators:

www.slate.com

On the lookout for other, possibly more manageable, modern takes on dehydrated food, I called Chris Young, the co-author, with Nathan Myrhvold and Maxime Billet, of Modernist Cuisine, the six-volume epic devoted to contemporary avant-garde cooking. Young told me that almost, but not totally, dried food—say a piece of mostly dehydrated duck skin (or even more unexpectedly, watermelon)—can puff up exuberantly in the deep fryer. He mentioned the carrot tuiles he’d made when he directed the research kitchen at Fat Duck—you just whiz together juiced carrots and a stabilizer like gellan gum, and dry out the mixture until you get translucent wafers, which are pliable when warm but crisp when cooled off. But for a really simple recipe, at least by Modernist Cuisine standards, he sent along a technique for Watermelon Bulgogi: A vegan sweet-soy Korean “beef.” (Watermelon-as-meat is all over the food press these days; see Mark Bittman’s somewhat recent watermelon burgers in the New York Times Magazine).

I did not complete the full watermelon recipe, which calls for a kimchi of watermelon rind and some homemade Korean chili paste, but I did make the centerpiece. I brined watermelon in a vacuum bag, then dried it for several hours, then seared it in a pan and brushed it with a sweet ginger-soy glaze. After all the pressing and drying, the watermelon draped like a piece of raw meat, and the veining in the fruit actually mimicked a well marbled piece of flesh. (The recipe recommends leaving a thin sliver of the white rind to simulate a beefy fat cap.) Even more weirdly, the texture was juicy-slithery and chewy in a way that closely approximated a rare piece of meat. Of course, despite the punchy glaze, the meaty taste wasn’t quite there, and a distinctly familiar, not entirely appealing end-of-picnic smell of hot watermelon lingered in the air.

2012 Aug 16
I got the Excalibur 2900 this week and have been using it non-stop. I don't find it loud at all. There is a slight hum but that's it. In any case, much less noise than our old ceiling fan or an A/C unit that's for certain! Ummm... much less noise than a running tap... Anyway, noise is minimal and it's working great. I got mine from Raw Nutrition which is out in Otter Lake. There is free shipping when you buy it and I've already saved a chunk of money on the purchase this week alone. My goal is to pay the entire cost of the purchase this season through our garden and the neighbour's over-zealous green thumb!

2012 Aug 17
Have an excalibur also, use it regularly for jerky. They're not perfect and you have to rotate trays but work well.

Cheaper on us amazon.

2012 Aug 17
Yeah, it's my first time using a dehydrator and I was a little confused about that. Most definitely some things dried faster than others depending on where the tray was placed and proximity to the fan. I am keen to try jerky next weekend. I'd love you tips and suggestions Ravi!