Strange convenience foods [General]

2011 Sep 23
I often take pics of strange convenience foods, and thought it would be fun to start a thread here.

2011 Sep 23
Even the picture on the can looks revolting. Since when are dumplings square and flat?

2011 Sep 23
This one I almost bought. almost. It's breakfast cereal, not dessert.

2011 Sep 23

2011 Sep 23
Worst. Product. Ever.

ihatemymessageboard.com

2011 Sep 23
Johnny I saw the video and that chicken looked really vile. Maybe I should have bought a can of chicken and dumplings just to post a video here.

2011 Sep 23
Ewww that is the most disguisting chicken I have ever seen. I can't even imagine stooping to that level of buying it. I am so glad I can cook...

2011 Sep 23
I don't know if anyone besides me followed the link further, there is another posting on Pork Brains in Milk Gravy - it contains a YouTube video of someone eating it from the can. It's funny as the backdrop is a poker table. Kind of if you loose, you have a "fear factor" type challenge to meet ...
ihatemymessageboard.com

Back to the topic of Chicken in a Can - my sister had a friend who was a immigrant or refugee from a Central American country. He tells the story of being sent to a Praire town somewhere in Saskatchewan. They were quite poor and relied on donations for their first Christmas dinner. He laughed about having to eat "chicken in a can" --- now I have a visual to add to his story ... Most of us are fortunate enough in Canada to be able to laugh at this!

2011 Sep 23
I thought the one in the first post was missing something; then I remembered.

2011 Sep 23
Drop by the Aylmer Videotron video store for your fix of communion wafers (hosties), right across from the M&M rack.

2011 Sep 23
the communion wafers cutouts can also be found at the independent grocer in orleans... i always thought it was weird when my school mates used to bring ot in their lunch in grade school!

2011 Sep 24
Flandroid, you win the pancakes and sausage on a stick prize. Bacon IV, I used to see the wafers sold in the bulk section of the metro at Lincoln Fields and wonder who pops in to buy bulk body of Christ by the pound, but a friend of mine showed me a kind of treat that she grew up with which was the same wafer stuff, puffed and filled with sugar.

2011 Sep 25
ready made mashed potatoes at the grocery store give me a chuckle

2011 Sep 25
@Peter: me too. ;)

Once, a few years ago, I was wandering around the Giant Tiger in Westboro and upstairs in the foods section in a freezer I found the Holy Grail of strangeness: McCain's Microwave Poutine.

I had to try THAT! My review? Not horrible. Have I had better poutine? Well, URRR! Yes! It was passable as poutine and I didn't mind finishing it. It was exactly what I expected for microwave-from-frozen potatoes with cheese and gravy.

2011 Sep 26
The hot dogs on that rolly thing always kind of scare me.

And now so do the chocolate chip pogos. and yet... and yet.... i find myself strangely wanting to try them...

2011 Sep 29
Bacon IV, your comment about the communion wafers reminded me of when I was a kid and my mom taught Sunday school... her priest gave her a big bag of wafers so the kids could practise before their first communion. There were plenty left over, so when she asked the priest what to do with them, he said "Well, I personally enjoy dipping them in peanut butter while watching hockey." He was right. It's delicious.

2011 Oct 4
The chocolate chip cereal looks really good!
Where can you buy that? it would be a good snack to carry around.

The sausage and pancake thing reminds me of a pogo. I don't think it could be that bad, people do eat bacon ice cream and chocolate bacon bars and those are prob worse?

Those communion wafers- I think bulk barn and Swiss pastries they sell large flat disks of the stuff for cake and pastry making?
have not checked lately.
I know you use rice paper in Candy making so they should have it.

For weird foods I'd say any of the Hungry Man meals.
The ones that largely advertise "over 1 pound of food per box" they look pretty bad.
I tried one of the regular hungry man meals years ago, it was ok did not finish it.

The other strange thing I will add is MM meatshop has is a microwave grill cheese sandwich. it gets crispy in the microwave.
it is ok, would have been better if they used real cheese and not the fake stuff. not sure if they still sell them?

There was also a PC frozen tempura shrimp rolls.
worst sushi ever. the sushi was soggy from the tempura being frozen and you had to put this in the microwave for 1 minute to defrost.
it made my kitchen really smell bad!
-not surprized it was discontinued!
bought this once out of curiosity...expensive too at almost $5 for 6 or 8 pieces of very BAD sushi.

2011 Oct 4
When I first saw this thread title, my first thought was aerosol cheese...haha. Has anyone ever tried it?

2011 Oct 4
Prettytasty sez: "The sausage and pancake thing reminds me of a pogo. I don't think it could be that bad..."

This is sort of like the part in the horror movie where the young guy says "I'll be right back.", or the suspense movie where someone says "It's a short trip in a cable car over a massive cliff... what could possibly happen?".