3/4 cup water
Mix cover and rest in a glass jar

Day 2
Add
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup water
mix together with rye from previous day

Day 3
I woke up and noticed the starter already doubled in volume.
After reading online I noticed this is a false raise, so I removed 1/2 the starter and added 1 cup all purpose flour to 1/2 cup water

Day 4
Starter became too liquid, bubbles but no raise
Removed 1/2 add 3/4 cup all purpose to 1/4 cup rye to 1/2 cup water.

Now I'm hoping it will work. Should I stay patient and wait or scrape it and start again? Does anyone have any tried and true recipes? What ratio combination of flours do you used (White vs Rye vs Whole Wheat??)

2011 Sep 26
Sounds about right - mix it up a bit, it won't keep rising forever and will separate. Mix it, scoop it and start baking. Add back some more flour water, store in fridge.

Good luck - haven't done sourdough for sometime now - maybe I should get back to it. BTW if you want to cheat a bit you can add a tiny bit of yeast - but you shouldn't really need to.

2011 Sep 26
I have to start over again.. I ended up cooking my starter. I placed it in the oven out of the way, and forgot about it the next morning, turned the oven on without checking if anything was inside, and 10 mins later I smelled bread and then I realized my starters in the oven..

Oopps.. going to try again this week.

2011 Sep 29
Bahaha! I've definitely had those "d'oh" moments. Good luck! I'm hoping to attempt my first starter in the next few weeks.

Edit: for realization of unintentional pun.

2011 Oct 3
i used to do mine with reg bread flour and organic grapes
mash the grapes and add the flour
put in large (20 l) pail and cover and store in the walkin
next day add 2 parts flour and 1 part water
took 7 days but i got a great batch of san francisco styled extra sour dough
i would use semolina flour to make the bread then save 1/4 of the batch
and use for the next batch
note: this method takes 2 days to proof the bread so the process is not for most home bakers

2012 Jan 29
I just picked up a starter from a friend and made my first bread with it today - worked really well for such a huge experiment! I used the no knead method which made most sense given the slow nature of sourdough.

My starter comes from a mennonite family and is supposed to be pretty old - goes back to Ukraine I'm told. I am pretty sure I can get the exact lineage so will have to pester a bit to get it.

So far it has been really easy to maintain.

Gotta try pancakes with it soon.

2012 Jan 29
"I am going on vacation. Can you check on my house, water my plants and feed my starter - the last is very important, as it has a more distinguished family tree than me"