Pie Day [General]

2011 Sep 20
No, not march 14th

I guess I did not report a few months ago when I dragged a bunch of leaf lard home from work and rendered it down to make my own lard. I pressured canned it and have it stored in the basement. Been mainly using it for frying but finally got around to making pie crust out of it.

First thing I gotta say is that home made lard is worlds more flavorful than the bland stuff you buy in the store. Not even a comparison really. It is incredible.

And it makes really good pie crust. I started out and made an apple pie which was so good it prompted me to make a meat pie.

So, pie for supper, and pie for dessert. Oh, and both were made with filling i canned up quite some time ago. And meat pie needs to be served with home made mustard pickles, of course

Yum!

2011 Sep 21
i hate you.

2011 Sep 21
I love rendering my own leaf lard to use in pies.

Zymurgist, do you use a combination of butter/ lard in your crust. If not you should try it, it will produce a nice buttery flavour but flaky crust.. Heaven.

I have a jar of leaf lard I rendered a few weeks ago, that I'm waiting to make apple pie. Most likely for birthday coming up in the next couple weeks.

I have a lot of kitchen cooking projects on the list of the next couple of weeks

2011 Sep 21
today's globe & mail has an article on reviving taste and use of animal's 'odd bits' (wording from article). they recommend using leaf lard for pies and suggest using 40% butter for the flavour:

www.theglobeandmail.com

2011 Sep 21
No I used 100% lard but as already mentioned there was certainly no shortage of flavour. I am not sure I'd want it tasting buttery to be honest.

2011 Sep 21
Jeebus is it the writer or the editor responsible for this atrocity from that article : "Jennifer McLagan has been on a crusade to change people’s minds, palates and pantries when it comes to eating animals for years."

Is that the state of professional journalism these days? Or are they giving out journalism degrees in boxes of Cracker Jacks? Yeeesh.

2011 Sep 21
@zym, what are you referring to the 's in people's, the missing comma after palates ?

@hip re: odd animal bits . . . isn't that what shwarma and hot dogs are for?

2011 Sep 21
I don't know, I certainly want to eat animals for years, myself. :)

Every time I see "leaf lard" I keep wondering how tree matter contains so much fat...

2011 Sep 21
LOL @Niall!

In defence of the odd bits, though, I have eaten beef tongue, pig's ears, pig's head (eaten at Murray Street Restaurant), and pork belly and I can vouch for the fact they are all very tasty. Not sure I'd want to try brains or eyes though-;)

2011 Sep 21
Niall nailed it. Should be

"Jennifer McLagan has been on a crusade for years to change people’s minds, palates and pantries when it comes to eating animals."

2011 Sep 23
Although this seems to be accepted in Canada, Zym's correction is missing the oxford comma. That was a punishable offence in my grade school formal grammar classes (private, in the US). I know there are many references which support the lack of this comma, however, this one halted the debate for me.

Hopefully the link works. If not, google "oxford comma jfk".

pastthestorm.tumblr.com

Admittedly many of my posts are grammatically hypocritical. Please don't judge me :)

2011 Sep 23
brainzzzzz.....

2011 Sep 24
punctuation may be dying, but I'm glad to see that hog lard lives on.