Ribolator [General]

2011 Sep 14

2011 Sep 14
They lost me with their first sentence: "A rotisserie's use of indirect heat is the only way to make sure your grilled foods..."

* indirect heat does not produce grilled food
* rotisserie involves rotating the food around an axis to achieve self-basting and/or even grilling. This device accomplishes neither! The rotation seems to be nothing more than a temperature averaging technique.

As far as I can tell, this ferris wheel of metal pans would cook your meat no differently than using a skillet on a BBQ with decent control of temperature.

Buy one and let us know! ;-)

2011 Sep 14
FF agree with you assessment on the marketing claims. However the device would be useful for the exact reason you specify - temperature/smoke averaging. Most smokers have a range of temps, and when you are doing multiple items, you'd like them cooked evenly. I know on the bradley the bottom racks cook faster than the top and there is some variation front to back. I think a lot depends on your cooking implement. Big smokers often use rotating racks. I'd like something like this for my bradley - but it would have to handle pork shoulder/butt.

On a bbq this would probably work well for multiple racks - as you'd want indirect heat for ribs and would be hard pressed to find that much indirect space.

2011 Sep 14
Fresh Foodie - this would seem to me to work exactly like a commercial chicken rotisserie, no? The drippings from the tray on top will drip to the tray below it.

2011 Sep 14
zymurgist, well you'd lose half your drippings outright because half the trays have nobody below them at any given time. Also, the drippings would not be dispersed in a fine mist over the recipient, meaning they would not be as well distributed as in a rotating chicken rotisserie. I'm pretty sure a commercial chicken rotisserie has each chicken rotating, which is the key rotisserie thing the Ribolator lacks (all food seems to be maintained in an "upright" position just like with a ferris wheel).

sourdough makes a good comment about temperature variation in smokers. To that end, I can see this thing being useful in a smoker for slow-cooking ribs or chicken pieces. I can't see it being better for actual direct-heat grilling (steaks, burgers, vegetables, etc). And it's no good for big chunks of meat (roasts, whole birds, etc).

It looks like a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist! A wise man once told me, "Just because you can doesn't mean you should." Hahaha, sorry zym I shouldn't pick on you but it's so fun! ;-)

2011 Sep 14
Not really solving a problem Fresh Foodie, just offering another way to cook on the grill. Personally I think it has a lot of potential. So the quote does not apply :-)

EDIT: I think it would provide a really good 'hands off' way to cook a lot of food on the grill. I do a lot of top rack hands-off cooking but I think this would be faster and better than that.

2011 Sep 14
I kept waiting for the site to tell me that if i bought one in the next ten (9... 8... 7... ) minutes they would throw in a second one FREE! AND the rotator motor (usually sold separately)!!! AND a set of Flavourdome flavour thingies!!! AND a cookbook!!

AND a set of Ginsu (tm) knives!

Kidding aside, neat product at least in theory.

2011 Sep 14
The only advantage I can think of, if that it would allow you to fit more food in your bbq...

It would be a way to fit more ribs in a given bbq and still remain indirect (many never flip ribs...always boen side down)...but I'd be curious in temperature variation from the top rack and bottom during rotation. I suppose this would depend on the bbq and how well insulated/sealed it is.

2011 Sep 14
this isn't the first time i have heard the "this thing can't work that well" or "it's just another gimmick". so i instead of me trying to convince you that it will work far better than you imagine, i will offer you the same deal i have made other skeptics, and that is if you will pay the shipping i will send you a rib-o-lator free to try for 30 days and when i say free i mean free no credit card, first born nothin. if after 30 days it doesn't make the best BBQ you have ever ha, then send it back, you don't even have to wash it.

after 30 days you if you like it you buy it.

and of the dozen or so i have sent out in the past zero have come back and all have paid. i think that speaks for itself.

so until you try it i ask that you put aside all your theory's and guesses as to how this thing can't work.

I have won grand champion in BBQ contests and since then other professional comp teams across the country now use the rib-o-lator.

in fact, one team won 7 gran champions last year and he used the rib-o-lator in every one. (say this part with a homer Simpson voice) this crummy gizmo of mine can't possibly work!... OR CAN IT?

people have told me i am crazy to send the rib-o-lator with no collateral but i have found if you give people a chance to be honest, they will.
you can call or email me at
206-999-0962
info@ribolator.com

2011 Sep 15
Go for it Zym!! I'm pretty sure it won't fit in my BGE. ;-)

2011 Sep 15
I don't have a rotisserie unfortunately. But if he wants to send one to pass around in the Ottawa area, I'll be happy to ensure it makes the rounds.

Kudos to him on finding this thread so quickly - I assume he's got a google alert set. Well done!

2011 Sep 15
i could be persuaded to send you one. how about sending me an email with your info. you just have to promise it won't site on the shelf once you get it. also, just so you know, Ontario gas and BBQ carries the rib-o-lator.

B-O-B
206-999-0962
info@ribolator.com

2011 Sep 15
is there a way to post more than one pic?

2011 Sep 15
Thanks rib-o-lator, I will email you and make sure it does get passed around amongst members of this site. I have done that in the past with other products.

Email on its way ... now for those of you reading this, let me know who wants to try it out.

2011 Sep 15
thanks zym, it's nice that the forum has a guy like you around. got the email and as soon as our shipment arrives next week i will send it out. (i can't keep these cheap crummy gizmos on the shelf) chicken anyone?

2011 Sep 15
Sounds great!

I already have 2 interested parties from my home brewers list (where I originally saw this).

2011 Sep 15
Hmm.. that would be interesting for the big green egg.. you should think about making an adapter for it.

So is this considered indirect cooking? It's definitely not grilling, I guess it's in-between. I've got my doubts about the claim that steak on it is great however.

2011 Sep 15
it would be tough to make one for an egg since the lid is attached but i have thought about it. and yes it is indirect cooking.

as far as steak this is how i do it. i cook the steak on the rib-o-lator at 300+ temp until it reaches 125 internal temp and then i through it on the hot grate to sear for a couple min on each side. as you already know this is called the reverse sear.

cooking steak with indirect heat has a couple of advantages.
1. your not boiling the juice out like you do with direct heat. so the steak is juicer and not as tough
2. when you cook meat indirectly your not killing all the enzymes which when the meat is brought up to temp evenly and at lower heat the enzymes actually will make the meat more tender. (even though you are cooking at 300 grill temp it is not the same heat as when you cook it directly)

like you i always liked my steak the old fashioned way, hot on the grill and i resisted cooking it on the rol for several years until one day i though i would try it since i was telling everyone to cook it on the rol.

i seasoned it with a heavy coat of sea salt and pepper, and no exaggeration it was one of the best steaks i have ever had and my wife agreed. and we have had steak in some pretty nice places.

i cooked some rib eys for a gathering the same way and everyone couldn't believe that they tasted that good.

the rol shouldn't be able to do a lot of things like i claim but it does.
it wouldn't tell you it does something if it doesn't.

it will make a believer out of you. and if i knew it wouldn't do the things i say it would, i would never have made the offer that i did, as that would be putting a nail in my coffin.

this is a pic after i seared it and notice that it isn't burnt to a crisp!

2011 Sep 15
It looks like a neat product.
Useful if you are cooking a lot of small items and do not want to move them around too much- like fish or chicken wings or....tofu :)

It is not an item for me though- we are not "allowed" any BBQ devices where I live, so no grilling for me.

If I want grilled items at home,I just go to the grocery store and ask them to cook stuff on their grill. It is almost as good and they don't charge me too much extra over the cost of meats!
(i was told pay for the meat and bright it to the grill counter....)

this seems like an item my cousin would like, he bbq every week almost!

2011 Sep 16
"it would be tough to make one for an egg since the lid is attached but i have thought about it."

You'd have to make it so it keeps the lid partially opened so that it leaves enough room for the rod. Basically, the same thing you made for the drum / kettle but with the top cut at an angle. Rest that on the top ring of the firebox and hopefully that leaves enough clearance for everything once the top lid is closed and rests on the "ring" (this might be a problem).

Remove the ribolator and it can simply be used as a rotisserie.. hmm..

2011 Sep 16
You could make it like a collar the same way home brewers convert deep freezers into kegerators.

e.g. (first hit from google)

www.mikebeer.net

2013 May 29
I believe they have a ring you can buy for all the drum smokers, eggs and other round smokers to make the ribolator work. my friend had a bday party this last weekend and I could not believe how easy the ribolator made bbqing. Instead of manning the bbq like a maniac for 2 hours my friend hung out, drank and was totally relaxed. The bbq was some of the best I have ever tasted. I am one of those if it works and makes life easy then I am in kind of guys. Just thought i would pass my info along

2013 May 29
Zym; did you get a chance to try it? What are your thoughts on it?

2013 May 29
I don't have a grill that I can use it on ... but I have it here for the sole purpose of lending it out to people to try ... so if anyone wants to try it just let me know.

2013 May 29
If it worked on a 22.5" Weber Kettle I'd give it a whirl, but I'm pretty sure the version he sent is only for gassers.