dining between Kingston and Ottawa. [General]

2011 Sep 10
I'll be heading back to Ottawa from Kingston/Gananoque on Sunday afternoon. Would like to stop somewhere for dinner either place or anywhere between there and Ottawa. Willing to detour a bit if necessary. Any suggestions?

2011 Sep 10
We love The Athlone Inn in Gananoque
The menu is always great and very well done.
Call ahead as they get very busy at times
There is a very nice Italian restaurant in Kingston
I can't remember the name but it is down town across from the town square.
Very close to the marina.
Hope this helps you.

2011 Sep 10
The Italian restaurant is Olivea.

It depends on what you want... tbh, my favourite place to eat in Kingston is a Thai resto called Pat's restaurant on Division St.

2011 Sep 10
Do have dinner at Luke's in Kingston. It's on Princess Street across from Indigo. Tell them Adam sent you.

2011 Sep 11
Snoopy's got the goods, Pat's is a great place! Also, Saigon Delight is another good spot. Pan Chancho is a great place for lunch and great baked goods.

The other Italian place near town hall is Casa Domenico.

Woodenhead's is a great spot for wood fired pizza and other goodies out of a wood fired oven.

2011 Sep 11
If you go through Smiths Falls, My Place on Main st. across from the show has very good Bavarian? food.
They make this delicious Madras soup and their schnitzel is excellent.
I only wish they would make spaztla or a better dumpling.
We bring guests there and everyone loves the food.
The place has character along with the owners who are characters, nothing fancy, no liquor license, just good food.

2011 Sep 12
In Kingston Wok Inn (very small hole in the wall Cambodian/Thai). This was Pat's original spot until he sold to Chris 15 years ago. Chris and his wife do an amazing business there. I haven't lived there for over 10 years, and if I pop in they still remember me and fill my cooler :)

2011 Sep 12
Thanks everybody!

2011 Sep 12
Chez Piggy in Kingston remains legendary and fully worth your dollars.

Chien Noir is bistor-riffic.

Atomica and Wooden Head both do excellent things to hand-made wood over pizza.

In terms of stopping between K-town and O-town, Merrickville is one option, altho I have nowhere to reco for dinner other than Sam Jake's Inn by reputation only.

2012 Aug 7
I have to word-up a recent addition to the (fairly sparse) Gananoque food scene...

THE PURPLE HOUSE CAFE just opened last week (early Aug 2012), on Main street a block (and a parking lot) before the Marina. It's brand new... as in just opened like six days ago new.... family run, and everything is assembled or made in-house with mostly local ingredients.

If you're planning to go to Gananoque for the 1000 Island cruise or whatever, i seriously recommend this place. We were looking for somewhere to eat near the water and were turned off by what amounted to only deep-fried or 'gouge the tourist' options. Fleeing up Main street towards our car we spotted a big house, painted purple, with a cute but fairly large patio almost hidden in plain sight and a simple sign up that says 'CAFE'. The patio is 'hidden' behind some trees, bushes and a cute garden. The back wall is a nice touch - it's made entirely of old doors.

We had two awesome lattes (seriously i haven't had foam that perfect in ages), a Montreal bagel w scrambled eggs/prociuto/cheese/tomato and a home-made meatball/tomato sauce/cheese on a panini. Both sandwiches were big, tasty and completely worth the money. We couldn't manage one of the homemade choc cheesecake slices or brownies but managed to cram down a couple of 'cake pops'... basically home-made white cake on a popsicle stick dipped in chocolate (and/or crack cocaine because i immediately wanted three more).

If you're looking for a place to stop off the 401 this is totally worth the short detour. I think they're doing breakfast/lunch/coffee, not dinner at the moment.

2012 Aug 8
Used to like stopping at calamity Jane's on hwy 29 just north of brockvegas in Addison. We haven't been in a couple of years but drove by 2 weeks ago and it still looks open.