bannock [General]

2007 Jun 17
Didn't I post a recipe for bannock here a while ago?

Search does not bring it up.

In any case I just made some and here is what it turned out like!

2007 Jun 17
Yes, it's here: ottawafoodies.com/forum/241

It didn't show up because of a little bug where forum topics (titles) aren't included in the search. Will note that... :-) In the meantime, filtering forum listings to show only Recipes still makes it pretty easy to find things.

I'll definitely be making soda bread in the near future, mostly because it's the too-die-for accompaniment for strawberry freezer jam, and strawberry season is nigh! Your whole wheat version is intriguing.

2007 Jun 17
Wow! That is the oddest picture of bannock that I've ever seen... everytime I had it it was more like a pancake... but mmmmm good it was! I once tried this dish that a friend of mine called seapie, although I still can't figure out why she called it that... it was almost a pot pie, except made with moosemeat and covered in bannock! Drool!

2007 Jun 17
Yeah, I'd think the "Soda Bread" name is more appropriate, even though soda bread and bannock have pretty similar ingredients. The soda bread I've made has no added fat, whereas bannock always does. This recipe has a little bit of added fat, so maybe it's a bannock-style soda bread. ;-)

Bannock is often cooked on the stovetop in a skillet. When done that way, it has to be much thinner to cook properly. That's probably the kind you've had, Kiwiw.

2007 Jun 18
I am going to Ireland in September with my mom and my sister and we will be staying on the farm with my Aunt who lives in Tubbercurry, County Sligo. My mother grew up on this farm but came to Canada with my dad when she was 25. My aunt has never left the farm.
Although my mom makes a mean Irish Soda Bread, there is nothing like sitting at the farm house table eating the soda bread that has just been baked in the old stove that is fueled by peat moss.....Can't wait!!!
I will take a picture for sure and post it here when I get back :)

2007 Jun 18
kiwiw: was your friend a Québecer? Because a traditional dish here is called "cipaille" (sounds exactly like seapie), and that might have been it. Cipaille as i've had it is basically a layers of meat interlaced with layers of dough.. and it's very good.

I think the origin of the seapie (cipaille) did include fish but evolved throughout the years, but i'm not sure.

I just browsed on the net and found this: www.northwestjournal.ca
and this: frenchfood.about.com
The intros gives a bit of a hint of where it comes from, but further research might provide us with the exact link between the "cipaille" and the sea :)

2007 Jun 18
Ah, yes she was! hehe... I knew that couldn't be the name! I never thought to translate... and yes, it was very, very good.