new ontario school food regulations [General]

2011 Aug 31
I don't agree with the milk . . .

2011 Sep 1
I don't believe chocolate milk should be an option, it has the same amount of sugar or more as pop.
But they are starting to go in the right track.

2011 Sep 1
yes i especially like that they thought to give 10 special days where the rules do not apply, so that schools can have a few pizza days or bake sales. that was a big criticism of similar policies in other districts

2011 Sep 1
I can see that kids with junk food lunches will have a lot of bargaining power. I have a friend who can't cook. She used to pack pizza pockets in her kids' lunches and the kids would trade every day with other kids whose moms had packed a delicious healthy lunch. That way, her kids ate very well with no preparation on her part for the price of a pizza pop. It worked for her.

2011 Sep 1
Yoni Freedhoff tears them a new one

www.weightymatters.ca

2011 Sep 1
We have been providing hot potatoes and salads (and hummus plates) in several schools hot lunch program for several years and welcome the change. Of course we already comply with the regulations. If your school wants something different and healthy for their hot lunch program, call us.

Blubarry: Thats funny...developing life skills early! Unfortunately the new rules don't apply to brought in food.

2011 Sep 1
While I'm in favor of removing pop machines and other junk food vending, the rest of the regulations are way to big brother. But that fits with Ontario regulations and politics and policies in general. I can't wait until they put a bubble around the schools, remove the playgounds and only allow them to bring in organic vegan (no nuts of course) lunches.