Where to buy lots of russet potatoes? [General]

2011 Aug 30
Hi there,

I'm co-hosting a baked potato bar this weekend and need to find lots of russet potatoes, approximately 100 potatoes. Anyone have some suggestions on where to buy this amount of baking potato? I'd prefer locally grown.

Thanks!

2011 Aug 30
If any russet will do it should be easy to get that many at a large grocery store, many Ontario grown around now as well.

Last year I was picking up local potatoes at the Cumberland market on sat mornings. They had cleaned potatoes ready to go and would bring in any amount of uncleaned for you on request as they store longer. I can't recall which stall now but there isn't many there so easy enough to find.

2011 Aug 30
Large local russets are hard to come by at the moment. Try the food wholesalers like Macartneys or Fresh Start. They maybe from the states though. Its the in between time...last years stock, new ones aren't big enough.
We get ours from a grower in Quebec, about 350km away.
How are you cooking the spuds?

2011 Aug 30
Costco has them in 20 pounds bags and they are good size. Product of canada as well.

2011 Aug 30
www.ottawavalleyfood.org

try them. i know they do lots of potatoes not sure about russets though. they might though.

2011 Aug 31
Thanks for the info, everyone. Until now I've only been able to find the 5 kg bags of russet potatoes at Loblaws for $3.79 or those two-in-a-pack wrapped in foil. I'm a little worried that the Costco and other options might be too large for one person (there's other food stuff there, specifically a whole roasted pig!)

Spud Guy: I'm going to poke them with a fork, coat them in olive oil sprinkled with sea salt and putting them on the oven rack for 2 hours. Truly baked, not steamed in foil.

Thanks again!

2011 Sep 1
FYI, I picked up a product-of-Canada 50 lb. box of russet potatoes at Produce Depot on Carling for $30.

Thanks for all the help!