Worst restaurant ever? [Food/Vendor]

2007 Jun 13
Hey, i would love to know what you all think of this place called,'Plus Minus', in 'Mont Tremblant'. I came across the menu whilst walking past the place and forgot all about it. You got to read the menu descriptions, they had the kitchen staff here rolling on the floor, also look at the food pictures closely, what i can identify seems to be raw. This chef is a genius in some way i am sure.

www.plusminuscafe.com

2007 Jun 13
I dunno, the tofu "with Laurentian cannabis and almost magic mushrooms constructed upon organic vegetables of demonic colours in congress with a miso and star anise syrup and chlorophyl" kinda sounds interesting :-)

Could the funny descriptions simply be lost in translation?

The pictures don't look that bad to me - it's the prices that scare me.

2007 Jun 13
My husband is french... he said it seems like someone was just trying too hard to impress... the english traslation is pretty close to the french words.

A little silly...
A little pretensious...

Pictures do look nice... too bad.

2007 Jun 13
I didnt see the prices, but your right it is interesting and different enough to warrant a visit just for the salmon served on a bed of orchids and love!

2007 Jun 13
I seem to remember seeing that this restaurant was fairly busy when we were in Tremblant last August. Of course, *everything* was busy! The menu prices combined with the presence of our two-year-olds guaranteed that we didn't consider eating there. Actually, we've found the food at Tremblant to be overpriced and substandard in general. Of course this particular restaurant could be different...

P.S. Don't *ever* get the "Authentic Quebec Poutine" from the token chip wagon restaurant in Tremblant. It's hands down the worst poutine I've ever had, the most expensive I've ever had ($8), and the *smallest* I've ever had!! Three strikes! ;-)

The best deal in Tremblant is the SAQ store because prices are the same as every other SAQ in Quebec. Drink yourself silly and skip the food. LOL

2007 Jun 13
The beer at the brewpub was pretty good as I recall, but that was almost 10 years ago now (actually, just about exactly 10). I don't recall pricing.

2007 Jun 16
Well, seeing as the restaurant has a french menu, I'll be expressing my emotions, in, well, french :)

Check bin, le chef qui a ecrit ça là, y'essaie bin trop fort pour exprimer ses ptits idées de la bouffe "parfaite", pi serieusement, son vocabulaire pour décrire la nourriture est vraiment, mais vraiment inutile. J'men fou si son maudit de gratin de fromage de chevre y'est "chapeauté" pi "structuré" sur du tamarillo et des fruits de dragon . C'est une perte de temps pour un restaurant, voyons! Si y voulait écrire un roman philosphiquie avec ste vocabulaire la, ca serait tigidou lai lai, mais comme les Anglais y disent "simple is best". Y devrait garder son vocabulaire à la Voltaire pour lui même. Personne parle de même, on n'est pu au 18eme siecle.

And Travel to Eat is right, the translation is just about perfect. And you also have a point about it being pretensious. I find it's snobby and useless. Sure, words like drizzled, finished, topped, glazed and splashed are fine, but to rant on about "apocalyptic flavours" and a steak "embracing" a white truffle blue potato purée is just so stupid. Tell it like it is, jeez.

2007 Jun 16
Hey TJ, had alot of difficulty reading your french, very different from the french ovre here, good thing my girlfriend is from Laval. Nice response too! To be honest i wouldnt use any desciptive words, id just say what it is and let the food speak for itself let alone describe a meal as if i was Shakespeare's cook!

2007 Jun 16
Yeah, I guess it's my Montreal blood coming out to play ;)