Monster Road Trip [General]

2011 Aug 24
We're about to start our annual MONSTER ROAD TRIP. This year we're loosely following the Mississippi form New Orleans to Chicago over two weeks. We'll be blogging every day. Does anyone have any "can't miss" suggestions for places to eat?

More info in the post:
happymouth.ca

2011 Aug 25
I can offer suggestions at both ends.

New Orleans: Bon Ton cafe www.thebontoncafe.com/ - have a rum ramsey. Only one person alive knows how to make them. Great softshell crabs too.

Also Mothers which has great fried oyster poboys. www.mothersrestaurant.net/

If you are heading out to tour the plantations, just about any roadside shack with a lot of trucks parked outside is a safe bet.

Cafe du Monde is on everyone's list for cafe au lait and beignets, but a great place that is off the tourist track is Morning Call in Metairie www.morningcallcoffeestand.com

Chicago:
Burt's place - Morton Grove, north of the city
www.urbanspoon.com We saw this place on "No reservations" and definitely worth a trip. Burt is the guy who invented deep dish pizza, and has given it to all the places he worked in Chicago who now claim to have the best. But if you drive up to his place you won't be disappointed. He and his wife run it, and you need to make a reservation, because he can only cook two pizzas at a time. When we were there we saw people come in to order takeout and he'd tell them to come and pick it up in THREE HOURS, because he has such a limited capacity. I don't think it will be around much longer, so give it a try.

We also loved Jose Garces' Mercat la Planxa in the Blackstone Hotel. www.mercatchicago.com High energy tapas style place with amazing food and really interesting cocktails. Bonus is that because they are in a hotel they serve amazing breakfasts too.

Frontera Grill is well known but also worth the almost 2 hour wait. www.rickbayless.com
It's Rick Bayless' flagship restaurant and has an active bar scene. I think of his tamarind margaritas often and the food is really top notch. The sauces are so complex and unlike anything I've had anywhere else. Loved the duck and the various fish. Picture is of Cazuela of pork. If you don't want to wait, he serves the best food court fare anywhere at Frontera fresca in the food court at Macy's (formerly Marshall Fields).

You definitely need to get some Garrett's popcorn, chicago mix.
www.garrettpopcorn.com/
It's a mixture of cheese corn and nutty caramel corn and it needs to be eaten right away. They are all over town, and there's an outlet at O'Hare which makes it great for the flight back to Ottawa.

Chicago Curry House in the south loop has the best Indian food in town, and I love their cherry stuffed Kashmiri Naan.
www.curryhouseonline.com/

At Macy's on State Street there is an old wood panelled dining room called The Walnut Room www.visitmacyschicago.com Its menu is a throwback: meatloaf, chicken pot pie etc., but it's the kind of old fashioned dept. store dining room experience that doesn't exist any more.

If you were starting in Chicago and heading to NOLA, I'd also tell you to try Heaven on 7 www.heavenonseven.com
It's curiously located on the 7th floor of a high rise office tower, and their cajun specialties are quite good, but definitely not as good as what you'll find in NOLA.

I look forward to hearing about all the places you'll find in between.

2011 Aug 25
Great suggestions Blubarry. Mothers was already on the list. The Bonton Cafe sounds like a great idea. I've been to Cafe Du Monde so maybe we will change it up this time. Don't really know Chicago well so your suggestions are helpful. Rick Bayless is a fav of ours so we are gonna try and get into Frontera...thanks for a heads up on the wait. OH, and thanks for reminding me of Garretts. I read about it on another blog. Seems there are long lines there as well, but a must do.

Thanks again,
Maureen

2011 Aug 25
Have you checked out the second season of Alton Brown's "Feasting on Asphalt"?

"The journey began in Venice, Louisiana, with Brown and his crew tracing the Mississippi River north.Feasting on Asphalt 2 was filmed during April and May 2007, and consists of six episodes along the Great River Road. Brown deviates from the Great River Road, however, missing several of the cities that travel along the Mississippi River; rather than following the river through towns such as Grand Rapids, Minnesota, and Bemidji, Minnesota, Brown cuts straight over from Crosby, Minnesota to Itasca State Park in order to reach the source of the Mississippi River."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Check out the Wikipedia entry for each episode's places/establishments and coordinates with notes on them. en.wikipedia.org

2011 Aug 25
Live4food, you bet! It was the partial inspiration for this year's trip. We do diverge from the River Road so we can explore other parts of Mississippi and Tennessee, but we certainly are taking lots of clues from the show.

I wonder if that restaurant is serving those rib tips on pancakes? :-)

2011 Aug 25
Happy Mouth if you have a chance when going through Nashville
check out Martins BBQ Joint in Nolensville.

www.martinsbbqjoint.com

2011 Aug 26
Interstate bbq in Memphis for bbq and Corky's for bbq nachos. Would also suggest tamales in MS. and toasted ravioli in St. Louis (you can get in the Italian neighborhood called the Hill).

2011 Aug 26
Three for Chicago: the original Uno's and Due are that good. So is Geno's East.

2011 Aug 27
New Post: Day one of our 2011 Monster Road Trip - New Orleans! Po'boys, jambalaya and shrimp remoulade. Oh, my! happymouth.ca/?p=4032

2011 Aug 27
New Post: Road Trip Day 2 in New Orleans: Local Flavours.
happymouth.ca/?p=4104

2011 Aug 28
keep em coming. Its going to be a long time until the kids are old enough to leave before I'll get to do a trip like this. Love it! Chicago go to avec - don't miss it. If you are in Chicago on a Sunday go to Maxwell St market for the best mexican food north of the border. Outstanding regional mexican for ridiculously cheap.

2011 Aug 28
New Post: New Orleans Day 3: The mighty Muffaletta and elegance at the Rib Room.
happymouth.ca/?p=4205

2011 Aug 29
New Post: Road Trip Day 4, crossing into Mississippi. Roadside meats, Crawfish Mac 'n' Cheese, and killer BBQ in Natchez at the Pig Out Inn.
happymouth.ca/?p=4334

2011 Aug 30
New Post: Road Trip day 5 from Natchez to Jackson, MS - Pecan pie for breakfast, hot tamales, and saucy BBQ.
happymouth.ca/?p=4403

2011 Aug 30
I love road trips...some of my best new finds have been from asking at tourist information stands about awesome local resto's\bars. Have fun!

2011 Aug 31
New post: Mississippi swamps, Where the King was born, Rib Alley and sandwiches at Elvis' favourite table.
happymouth.ca/?p=4482

2011 Sep 1
also in Chicago, you might try an Italian beef sandwich. The better places are on the South Side but you can probably get one in the Loop easily.

2011 Sep 1
Happy Mouth while in Memphis don't forget to to visit Charles Vergos Great ribs second best I have tried.
www.hogsfly.com/VisitUs.php

2011 Sep 2
New Post: Completing the Natchez trace & tremendous BBQ sandwiches off the grid.
happymouth.ca/?p=4536

2011 Sep 3
New Post: Nashville - Boots, Red-eye Gravy, BBQ and Friends.
happymouth.ca/?p=4612

2011 Sep 4
New Post: Authentic Cajun food in the backwoods (really!) of Tennessee.
happymouth.ca/?p=4665

2011 Sep 4
New Post: Taking the day off: Rob & Maureen Go to White Castle! happymouth.ca/?p=4725

2011 Sep 5
New Post: Cornfields, Camels, blue Skies and "Snoots"!
happymouth.ca/?p=4756

2011 Sep 6
New post: Route 66 from St. Louis to Normal. Frozen Custard!
happymouth.ca/?p=4786

2011 Sep 7
New post: Into the Windy City: Deep-dish pizza and Iconic Mexican cuisine!
happymouth.ca/?p=4822

2011 Sep 8
Thanks Happy Mouth! I love Frontera, and seeing those pics brought back some great memories! Pic attached is of Frontera's Tamarind Margarita, which is both spicy and sweet, and something I wish I knew how to make at home. They are reason enough to return again and again.

2011 Sep 8
New post: Classic Chicago-style hot dogs and great Italian!
happymouth.ca/?p=4945

2011 Sep 9
New Post: Underwhelming response to a celebrated Chicago delicacy.
happymouth.ca/?p=5008

2011 Sep 15
New Post: The 2011 Monster Road Trip Wrap-up!
happymouth.ca/?p=5044

2011 Sep 15
Thanks so much for these

2011 Sep 16
Wow what a food trip! keep the pics coming!

2011 Sep 28
...and the memories are still inspiring us to recreate some dishes!

New Post: Easy Crab and Corn Chowder. An easy family recipe adapted and inspired by New Orleans.
happymouth.ca/?p=5191