Vegetarian Delights? [General]

2007 Jun 10
My vegetarian sister is coming to visit me this week and I'm trying to think of restaurants to take her to. Now I know there are vegetarian restaurants in the city (ie: The Table, Green Door etc.) however I have found the food at these establishments to be mediocre at best, the food temperature to be perpetually tepid, and the overall experience the same as what can be had in any other city (ie: boooorrrinnnggg). I'm not looking for strictly vegetarian restaurant ideas as I am familiar with those in the city, but mainly for regular restaurants that offer exciting vegetarian options. I'm already planning on taking her to Caribbean Flavours (Jerk Tofu or Tempeh with Fried Plantain anyone?) and am hoping for some other exciting ideas.

Thanks!

***Note: Just to avoid confusion, she is a vegetarian defined as that she does not eat meat or meat products of any kind, but does still eat dairy and eggs.

2007 Jun 10
I'm not a vegetarian but what I would do in your shoes is go somewhere that serves ethnic food from a country that has a lot of vegetarianism. India would be the most obvious choice... any Indian restaurant has loads of tasty vegetarian choices. Most of my favourite Indian dishes qualify as vegetarian.

For something a little less mainstream, you could try one of the Ethiopian places. I *think* they have quite a few vegan choices in addition to their usual goat and beef stuff.

2007 Jun 10
Oh, after reading vaalea's posting about Irene's Pub, I was reminded of how good the vegan Natureburgers are at Lick's. If you want to take sis out for fast food, head over to Lick's! The natureburgers are cooked on a separate grill from the beef burgers so they're veggie-kosher. The milkshakes are pretty awesome too so her non-veganity will come in handy there...

2007 Jun 10
Mmmmmmm milkshakes - great idea! I think Dick's also offers a homemade veggie burger...

2007 Jun 13
Is Ahora too obvious? Ditto Genji?

Seconding Indian and Ethiopian. Ottawa Ethiopian is unthrilling if she's from a larger city, but decent, and there's always some sort of vegetarian platter; pretty good and dirt-cheap.

I've never been to 'Groovy's Roti Hut' in person and understand the decor's not up to much, but the take-away vegetarian version of their roti, as found at Boushey's, is pretty addictive. (Stop at Fettucine's as well if getting take-away on Elgin...)

The Fourth Avenue Wine Bar would be the place to booze and snack at, I think.

2007 Jun 13
Awesome - thanks Kmennie!

I did a quick sweep on the internet of fine-dining restaurant menus as well and noticed that Les Fougeres has an entire vegetarian menu along with their regular dinner menu.

Maybe we'll check that out unless anyone has had a terrible experience there?

2007 Jun 13
I've heard nothing but great things about Les Fougeres. I went for Sunday brunch about 10 years ago and thought it was decent, but I've always wanted to try it for dinner. Being in semi-rural Quebec, it would also give you an excuse to show your sister something other than downtown Ottawa. ;-)

2007 Jun 13
I've been to Les Fougeres for brunch and lunch. Nothing but good things to say. Go for it!

2007 Jun 14
Try Sacred Thai on Bank near Billings Bridge. Great veggie Thai food, very creative and loads of fun for a vegan. But it's rather expensive, so one has to pay for the creativity. No meat there though, so if you are not a vegetarian, it would just be "interesting" that people can make so many meat-like dishes from vegetables. Think the main ingredient is soy.

Vegan food is expensive especially at the Green Door and places where they sell by weight!

I have also heard from vegans that So Good, a Chinese restaurant on Somerset near Cambridge has a good variety of veg stuff. You can eat meat while your friend sticks with the veggies.

These two choices are also less spicy than the others, for those not fond of excessive spices in their foods, like Indian or African spices, but just want to taste the veggies or imitation meats.

2007 Jun 14
There's an entry on this site for "Sacred Garden" Thai Restaurant Sacred Garden . Sacred Garden is the name in the phone directory, so it's probably the right one. Sounds like a very interesting place!

2007 Jun 15
you're correct, FF, I had missed the Garden part of the name. It's Sacred Garden. 733-8424.

I have also heard good things about Les Fougeres, but have only been there for business lunches many years ago (more like 20!). Heard dinner is quite nice, especially the ambiance. And perhaps the chefs are relatively newer.