Sunday Brunch/Lunch in Montreal? [General]

2011 Aug 15
Heading to Montreal in a few weeks for the Gaultier show, and was wondering about suggestions for brunch or lunch within an easy commute of the Musee de Beaux Arts. Is there a great Montreal Brunch experience out there?

2011 Aug 15
It’s funny you bring this up, I have been debating this with friends recently. Considering brunch is such an institution in Montreal (“It’s not a weekend if you don’t go out for brunch”), I have never really found any place that rises above the rest. I find brunch menus around the city to be eerily similar – various waffles and pancakes, 5-10 types of eggs benedict and the typical sides of fruits and respectable potatoes and satisfactory beans. Solid, but certainly not inspirational. A B+ at best.

One argument that has been proposed to me is that people want predictable standards for their first meal of the day. I hold out hope that there are places I just haven’t been lucky enough to experience yet. For example, I'm still looking for a good plate of huevos rancheros…

2011 Aug 15
not super close to the musee de beaux arts, but my favourite brunch spot is byblos le petit cafe in mont royal. a truly unique dining experience - persian/iranian food. very delicious and well loved in montreal.

www.bybloslepetitcafe.ca/

2011 Aug 15
Similarly not really convenient for where you want to be, we like Olive & Gourmando (Old Montreal) for a breakfasty type brunch.

You could check out Chowhound for more options if you haven't already.

2011 Aug 15
The Brulerie St. Denis serves nice lunches. They are located in the Alcan building located near the museum: www.brulerie.com

I would skip the café in the museum IMO. I find the meals overpriced and not that good.

2011 Aug 15
Le Cartet, in old Montreal. Hands down. Delicious brunch plates that include orange juice, coffee and an amuse-bouche, ranging from sweet to savoury themes, and about $15 per person for all of it. You won't regret it.

2011 Aug 15
I don't think these are near by, but they got really good reviews on Chow Hound:
Brasserie Resevoir, The Sparrow.

When we were there in spring we went to Griffintown Cafe and really enjoyed it.

2011 Aug 16
Thanks Everybody will let you know how it goes. We are also heading to Gordon Ramsey's Laurier for dinner, so will report on that too. Partner's parents went to Laurier BBQ their first night in Canada in the 1950's, so we thought we'd check it out. Will post after labor day.

2011 Aug 17
I am also going to Montreal and was looking for a good place for breakfast/brunch – the hotels always seem to send us to Cora or Eggspectation, neither of which interest me since we have both of these here in Ottawa. I found this website which I found helpful montrealbreakfastreview.com

They list places under several categories: best new place, most unique, best buffet.....

Under best overall, these are listed: Mckiernan, L’avenue, Brigade Volante, Griffintown Café, Chez Levesque and Cartet and Madre.

Of course you would have to check the addresses to find one that was within an easy commute of the Musee de Beaux Arts.

2011 Sep 5
Thank you everyone. I tried to go to le cartet but they don't take reservations on weekend, so we had to go elsewhere. It did look great though. Ended up at "Les Filles du Roy" in old Montreal, which is in a great old building, very posh interior, and a beautiful garden court and solarium. They do a table d'hote brunch for $25. The menu is not so exciting, but there is a choice of spinach salad with goat cheese toasts or fruit salad for appetizer. Mains were eggs benedict, wild mushroom omelette, french toast, poached salmon. We chose the spinach salad and the salmon, both of which were quite good. Nice wine list and very good service, but the restaurant is really all about the elegant old Montreal atmosphere.

2011 Sep 5
sorry meant to include the link:
www.pierreducalvet.ca