Carribean restaurant at Bank and... errr... Walkley? [General]

2007 Jun 7
Back when I lived in Ottawa a few years ago, there was this great Carribean restaurant I used to hit up, which I believe was at the corner of Bank and Walkley. I can't remember the name for the life of me, though! Does anyone know what I'm talking about and if it's still around?

I also just wanted to say that I love this website. I'm living in Toronto now for school, and I find that the chow scene here is pretentious and trendy with really bad food. For example, I can't find any even remotely authentic Thai restaurants here! I miss my Sweet Basil. It's amazing that such a culturally diverse city totally missed the food mark.

I really miss Ottawa and its fantastic, reasonably priced food. I can't wait until I can come back and visit, or even better, live there again. This site lets me dream happily of those days...

2007 Jun 7
It sounds like you're describing the Island Jerk Island Jerk but I noticed that you're already listed as a fan of it. Is that the one?

My favourite food memory from Toronto was the Beef Bulgogi at Il Bunji (Korean) on Bloor. Don't know if it's still there, but it was an awesome feast! Totally unpretentious and great food.

2007 Jun 8
I second FF. We used to order take out ox tails EVERY Friday where I used to work. We'd send a guy all the way from Elgin to Walkley, it was crazy.

Vorpal, have you ever checked out the restaurants along Highway 7? There are tons of great restaurants, with very reasonable price too.

2007 Jun 9
Thanks, Fresh Foodie! That IS the one, and I recall being crazy about their dumplings and their plantain! I'm a little embarrassed now... I actually remembered the name a few minutes after making this post and in my scatterbrainedness, forgot to come back and edit that out (if that's possible... I've been a member here for awhile but haven't poked around too too much yet).

Il Bunji, eh? I'm MSG sensitive, so it's hard for me to find Korean I can eat, but I'll cross my fingers, give them a call, and ask!

sage007: Can't say I've been up that way! I'm without a car (grad student here), and from my understanding, trying to TTC up there requires a couple hours' time from my place minimum! Anything in particular you'd recommend? I'd consider making the trip for the right place!

I can't say that Toronto is *entirely* bereft of good food... I've found a few places here to love. MataHari Grill on Baldwin offers spectacular Malaysian food (at a bit of a high price). Tokyo Grill on Yonge near Wellesley has excellent home-style Japanese food that's so cheap that you couldn't hope to cook your own meal for the price they charge you (not to mention I think they use real wasabi, and their wasabi ice cream is like little scoops of heaven). Sadly enough, the only other places I'll go to regularly are a few okay Indian places (they're no New Nupur, though), a couple really mediocre Thai joints, and the Keg Mansion. Yes, I said it, and I'm ashamed ;-).

It just seems here that unless you're willing to spend $150+ per head, it's very, very hit or miss. Even then, from those that can pay $150+, I've heard that often restaurants are erratic and unpredictable in quality of food and service. I've really liked maybe one in ten restaurants here and found the experience repeatable. In Ottawa, I was less discerning and I liked at least half of what I tried! OH GOD... and how I miss good shawarma like from Really Lebanese!