New Ottawa Specialty Food Association [General]

2011 Jul 27
Greetings Foodies,

My name is Andrew Craig, 'Chutney Guy', I own a small company here in Ottawa that makes chutney. Until last week I was the Only Savour Ottawa Certified Micro Processor... then Michael Dolche stepped up with his Fantastic Jams. When Michael and I bump into each other there's often questions about business and how something is done, who's doing what, events, where do you buy jars... what ever might be of concern... It occurred to me that the information is scattered or does not exist to help new producers create products, find local farm produce, retailers, distributors or access government funding or safety requirements. The U.S. has a massive association as does B.C. but there is little to go on here in Ontario.

Ottawa has really begun to show it's talent when it comes to producing specialty foods and it serves us all well to be proud of these little companies and help them to stay alive and thrive.

So, I am Posting this to invite the Foodie community to help guide the development of a New Association for Specialty food producers, retailers, distributors, suppliers, marketing resources, government at all levels and whom ever else has an interest in this Industry. The goal quite honestly is to promote Ottawa Based producers in and beyond Ottawa. If you are a producer, retailer, work for Government and can help, or if you are a Food Marketing Guru willing to share your wisdom... A supplier, Farmer or production expert... anyone that has an interest, please join the Facebook page and help shape this association. Your help, knowledge, opinion and enthusiasm are greatly appreciated.

At the moment there is no fee to join, just a loosely set up facebook page... I'm better at cooking than computer stuff so if you can make it better please held... what the future holds is up to you. www.facebook.com

2011 Jul 28
It is great to see this type of cooperation. I started up a similar group with micro coffee roasters, and we share all sorts of that sort of information. For us what works really well is a mailing list. Seems old fashioned, but email is something that everyone uses already so it is not an extra place you have to go check. Just be sure to set up mail filters so that everything from the list goes to its own folder. Google can provide free lists

2011 Jul 28
Sounds interesting.

But you should make it the Outaouais Speciality Food Association. There is a lot of interesting produce just across the River. Peppers and other locally grown produce you can't get on the Ottawa side (a Chinese friend buys them there in the fall every year to make an awesome hot Schezwan sauce), the smokehouse in Chelsea - Boucanerie (chelseasmokehouse.com/). Jean Chretien was a very big fan of that place, reportedly. Farms that grow capons, a very good trout farm (Domaine Arc-En-Ciel 336, ch Saint-Pierre, Val-des-Monts, QC J8N 7M1). Natural beef. And that's just what springs to mind . . . I'm sure the real list is ten fold that.

2011 Jul 28
I'm interested. I've been reading about your chutney, and I'm also interested in that. ;-)

I totally agree that there is so much to learn from others, and an association like this would be a good thing. Pooling resources, experience and knowledge is always a worthwhile thing.

I'd be interested in participating. Farming keeps me pretty busy, but I try to find time for special initiatives like this!

My husband and I raise what might be Ontario's only certified organic, heritage breed, pasture raised, milk-fed pork. And I think it's a specialty item!

2011 Jul 29
I know of two websites in Quebec that sell many fancy food products and are always looking for new things to add.

I can post the info on Facebook if you want.
I only shop at those two places,but have spoken on the phone many times with one of the companies to order products.

*I didn't realize there was so few people in Ontario raising organic pork.
I know there is supposed to be at least 2 farmers in Outaouais.

2011 Aug 3
Thanks for all the info.

Zymurgist, that is an interesting approach to the communication but I really want an open forum for discussion. If I'm not mistaken, you're and IT guy, can I set up the Facebook page a little better to allow for interactive discussions?
- The Key Idea to this at the moment is to initiate the discussion of what should go on. I don't want a whole lot of bureaucratic crap... I'm a little bit of a control freak because I just like to get things done... and it's the restaurant GM inside of me... that being said, I want to find motivated help, a wide scope of opinions and the right information to create the right association for future members.

Fransis, Thank you for the input. I truly hope that the Specialty Food producers can utilize this and much more information from you about produce and Products from the Quebec side. This is the kind of topic I would like to discuss in the open forum... There are fantastic farms and produce available, there are also several questions about doing business in Quebec as an Ontario Business... What tax rules apply etc... do you have to register with revenue Quebec...

Organic Girl, I'm flattered that you have read about my Chutney's :-) thank you. It sounds like your Heritage Pork is pretty special... Do you sell to Dave at the Piggy Market? He really cares about where his products come from, the care and growth of the animals, the people involved. Sounds like you'd be a good fit. Please feel free to join the discussion on Facebook until I get a direction for the association and create a webpage.

Prettytasty, YA! I just spent a whack of coin to properly translate my labels and I'm not afraid of the Language police anymore. I'd totally love to find more Quebec outlets to sell Major Craig's and any other Outauais Specialty Food Producers. Please post to the Facebook Page. Thanks.

If anyone has an opinion or information regarding the establishment of a Specialty Food Association please feel free to comment here or on the Facebook page listed at the beginning of this topic.

Thanks again.
p.s there's a few of us going to Perth Garlic Festival August 13-14. Stop in and try my Chutney :-)

2011 Aug 3
Chutney guy, you just proved why email is the best way to do this. Anything else you do requires someone to go out and make an effort to remember to check that other place. Everyone already checks their email regularly.

You made your original post a week ago, and I immediately replied. Your response came a week later. Why? My guess is because you are not in the habit of coming here and had to remember to do so. How many times have you checked your email in that week?

Email mailing lists can be just as interactive as anything save for a live chat. In my experience facebook groups never really get used in this manner. Even for someone like me who is on facebook many times a day, the various groups I'm in are no in my face so I forget about them. Email lists are in your face if you set them up properly, so you check them every time you check your email.

Sometimes the simple solutions are the best ones. In fact, I would argue that this is usually the case, not just sometimes.

2011 Aug 3
Zymurgist, point taken. I agree that group email is the future direction. please excuse my late reply, I travel across Ontario peddling my chutney and other products made by local Ottawa and Ontario specialty food producers... I do check in often, I don't post daily, although that seems to have picked up lately. I will look into the google lists. I don't know why but my FB page indicates when there is a new post on a page or group... There is also a new facebook email tool, maybe I'll look at that to.
My point, and it has worked here, is to get as much input as possible from open sources such as this post before making the association closed for members. You would not likely have been on my fb or email list and your input and enthusiasm for food is important, your adventure in Butchery was great to follow, it's too bad it came to an end.
Anyway, I'm not getting paid for this I just want to help small food businesses find information, make connections, and provide a means by which this small Ottawa area industry can have a voice. I actually don't even plan on making a business out of this for me to profit from, the intent is to be as accessible as possible for members... It's really frustrating in this business trying to get the correct information without having to pay thousands of dollars to Guelph Food Technology Centre... even Ontario Agriculture directs you to their services instead of providing the information.

I will work on an Email list as suggested and post the info here when it is ready... but that might take some time as I am on the road today and away this weekend :-)

Thanks again for your input and I do hope you will continue to contribute.

2011 Aug 3
@Zym, Email is so old school :-) 1 to 1 communication basically, based on a letter metaphor. My kids have no clue what a cc is (carbon copy) and prefer their facebook and IM ways. Blogs and forums are one to many, and many to many, respectively. It works better I think. Facebook is trying to build email's successor . . .

There is only one good thing about emails . . . they are unique.

@chutneyguy, in my comments about the Outaouais I wanted to make the point that Ottawa and the Outaouais are really a single region. There is a lot of back and forth, on a daily basis, and some really interesting products unique to each side.

2011 Aug 3
Francis, mailing lists provide exactly the same function as forums. It is just as one-to-many. The huge factor in its favour is exactly as noted above - everyone is already using it and uses it daily for the most part. There is nothing new to learn and no need to remember to go check some other place.

Newer does not equal better. When you get it right the first time there is no need for improvement.

2011 Aug 3
Or I can post here.

I buy foods from Chocodirect often enough and have spoken to the people who run the company quite a few times.
They were telling me they are always looking for new gourmet food products to sell.
They have a few Canadian items now, but not too many.

I know they do sell chutneys as I bought some there,they also sell jams,tea other items.

The other site is O gourmet- they sell a lot of Canadian and imported foods.
I have only bought stuff there for gifts and for myself,never spoken to them,but they seem to add new items to sell often.

So hopefully you can have some luck with those.
Chocodirect only ships in Canada and O gourmet I think ships everywhere.

2011 Aug 3
Zyg, I think you overestimate the number of young people "already using e-mail". My twenty-something sister and extended circle of friends exclusively communicate through Facebook and Twitter (and soon Google+, presumably). My sister said not to e-mail her as she never checks it.

True enough, as a professional, and a 30-something, I check e-mail often. But I think that is not the case in the service industry.

Why would you need to check "some other place" when a social site is used. Facebook and Google+ are aggregators... you can filter what sort of content you'd like from any publisher.

2011 Aug 3
Well, google groups would still be an ideal choice in that case HHH because it can be both a mailing list and a social networking spot. Basically it can be both things since it lets each user decide which way to interact with it.

2011 Aug 3
Thanks Everyone for the great input.

from what I am gathering from all forms of communication is that there are several effective means by which we can communicate the needs of the interested parties.

Again, it's just me putting it out there that it would be beneficial for Specialty Food Producers like myself, Retailers, Farmers and Foodies to have some input and information regarding this small industry. If anyone wants to help I'd be happy to have it, I swamped with everything I do as it is.

Initially I posted here because this is a forum used by consumers, retailers, farmers, producers etc. The response has been great, the information and discussions have been useful.

The second step was to set up a Facebook page to allow Producers, farmers and retailers to find each other, promote products, events and to further the endeavour of creating a functional association. I do feel that this page will continue even as the association formalizes. It is a great tool for sharing information and initiating discussion topics with out having a sit down meeting (if I can ever figure out how to set that part up... I have it on my Major Craig's Page but can't figure it out on the Ottawa Specialty Food Page) (HELP) This really needs cleaning up to function properly.. I'm working on it but I'm not finding how to get this page to function properly.

The NEXT Phase of this will be to create Mailing lists for potential directors of the association. Retailers, Producers, Farmers, Government Contacts etc... This would be a communication tool for specific points regarding the structure of the association, rules, participants, Board of Governors, legal and accounting stuff and what services the association would provide etc. I believe that this phase would be done more towards the later stages of information gathering and as the discussions on FB lead to a consensus that an association is indeed useful and sustainable.

The Final Phase would be to formally create the association, set up a BOG, memberships, websites and start providing services.

SO... All of these forms of communication are vital in getting the right structure, the right information and the right people involved... it's just a matter of when to employ the correct Means of Communication and whom is involved in each.

I thank you all for your input and interest in this project.

2011 Aug 3
@chutneyguy,

I believe I can help you a lot with this part:

"This would be a communication tool for specific points regarding the structure of the association, rules, participants, Board of Governors, legal and accounting stuff and what services the association would provide etc. I believe that this phase would be done more towards the later stages of information gathering and as the discussions on FB lead to a consensus that an association is indeed useful and sustainable."

I'm in the IT department of a local company and for the past few years we have been building a collaborative portal for creating online standards. The initial target was Greenhouse Gas Standards, in anticipation of a carbon trading market and all the standards that would require. But Carbon Trading collapsed when Obama lost the Senate. However the platform we built has so many other uses, such as getting a diverse group of participants and stakeholders to reach consensus on the structure of an association.

I think I might be able to talk the VP of sales into letting you guys do a free "pilot" on the portal . . . I'll leave a comment for you with my work email in it. Basically you can setup a working group, collaboratively create a draft document, invite and collect feedback from the public and stakeholders, put it to a vote, iterate through another draft etc., all online. It's browser based, nothing to install.

2011 Aug 3
WOW! Francis, thank-you I'm stunned by your offer.

The steps and stages of this process are working well to bring the right people together, I really appreciate it. I'm so excited, I'm speechless.

2011 Aug 3
Sounds like a sweet system Francis! Sort of like an Ueber-wiki

2012 May 7
I found out that there is a Bookface page for this group and that their next meeting is May 28th @ 8pm at Mill Street. I'm going to try to make it for this moot.

2012 Nov 19
I am a member of this group now. YAY! Just want to remind y'all aboot the Westboro Holiday Food Fair at the Masonic Hall on Churchill on December 9th. This is our first Christmas event and the list of local vendors is impressive. I was amazed at the people who were already involved in this organization.

osfa.ca/?page_id=4