A cafe with good pastry [Food/Vendor]

2007 Jun 7
Can anyone recommend a good coffee place with decent pastry? I mean even Starbucks in China serve fabulous French pastries but I have yet to find a remotely OK place in Ottawa that serves good cakes.

Is it too much to ask for a cup of Illy or Lavazza with a small piece of decadent chocolate cake?

2007 Jun 7
I know what you mean.

My husband and I have been on the lookout for a place that does both good espresso AND good pastries/baked goods. It seems that all of them either do very good baked goods and only mediocre espresso, or ok espresso and not so great baked goods.

We thought we'd found the right spot when Cafe M opened. They had a Lavazza machine and we were slowly trying a variety of their baked goods to discover what was good and what was just ok. Unfortunately, Cafe M closed months ago.

Two places I do really enjoy, with some comments about their stuff:

Bridgehead (Bridgehead ) - Tasty baked goods including a variety of squares and cookies. They don't really do much in the way of cakes, though (only a chocolate praline cake that is just ok). I love their lemon bars, date squares, sticky buns, and cookies. Wonderful drip coffee, which is fair trade, organic, and shade-grown. Excellent lattes. Cappuccinos tend to be too milky but still tasty. Espresso is a bit on the bitter side with almost no crema, so it's better if you order it in a drink rather than alone.

Planet Coffee (Planet Coffee) - Awesome homemade style baked goods. I haven't had anything there I didn't like, although I did have a few items that were a tad on the dry side. They serve croissants from the French Baker (The French Baker). Good drip coffee, great espresso-based drinks. Same problem as Bridgehead on the espresso, though: a bit bitter with almost no crema.

2007 Jun 7
There is a cafe 2 doors down from Bridgehead on Wellington - the name eludes me at this moment - something like "2 bakers and a bike" or "bicycles and a baker" or something along those lines. Anyhoo - I've never actually eaten there, however I popped my head in today just to see what products they had available and they had a wide variety of cakes, cookies and pastries. Anybody ever tried there?

2007 Jun 7
It's "2 bakers and a bike" and I refuse to go in there just because it's such an idiotic name. We've got a good half dozen other bakeries along the strip so I feel I'm not really missing out by making such brash decisions ;-)

2007 Jun 7
There is an Italian café on Preston Street that has excellent coffee, gelato, and little cakes (though I don't recall seeing chocolate cake). I can't remember the name but maybe someone else can.
It is on the west side of Preston, you go up some stairs, and there is a long counter where you can order your food. There are small tables in front and a small patio on the side.

It has been there for a LONG time. They also serve really hot food. I think it is licensed too..(?)

2007 Jun 7
Pasticceria Gelateria Italiana (Pasticceria Gelateria Italiana) is probably where witchypoo means. I've not been in, but I know of the place. :)

www.ottawawedding.com

2007 Jun 7
Yes it sounds like Pasticceria. I have been in there and they do have a long counter with pastries, takeout (which you can also eat in) and gelato. It is in fact on the west side of the street about half way between Gladstone and Somerset. I'm not much of a dessert eater but I must admit they have lovely pastries. If you are looking for somewhere in the Westboro village area there is the 2 Bakers and a Bike place which has already been mentioned and 3 Tarts which is a couple of blocks west although I haven't tried either place. The Bagel Shop actually has a nice dessert counter as well as a decent collection of chocolate. The Harvest Loaf next door also has some nice pastries. If you are looking for somewhere downtown there are always the old standbys the Moulin de France and the French Baker - their florentines are a must try. And the Portuguese Bakery on Nelson near the Rideau st. Loblaws is also a good place to go.

2007 Jun 7
I was going to suggest the Pasticceria Gelateria as well. If you want good Italian coffee, you have to go to a place run by Italians, and this is it. They are also open late (well...late for Ottawa anyway) so you can go there for dessert and coffee after dinner. And their gelato is just like I remember from Italy (sigh...) and pasteries are also good. Lots of tables and lots of local Italians frequent too.

2007 Jun 8
Thank you folks, your suggestions are most appreciated.