Burger bun recommendations [General]

2011 Jul 25
I'm hosting a "burger cookoff/throwdown" this coming weekend, and I'm looking for your recommendations for burger buns. Recipes are welcome as well, but I'd prefer a solid recommendation from a local bakery.

I'm tempted to try to find a brioche bun...but my initial thought was a cheddar jalapeno bun...any ideas!!?!

TIA

2011 Jul 25
Art-is-in does hamburger buns. We've bought them before at the Bagel Shop and they are very good. I like good quality bread, but beyond that I prefer that a hamburger bun gets out the way from a taste perspective. Typically for day to day use, we buy the Dempster's ones at the Butchery - they just have to be large enough to comfortably fit the size of the burger that you're using.

2011 Jul 26
Thanks! I haven't seen the Art-is-in buns before, but everything I've tried from there has been amazing, so I think I'll check it out, assuming I am able to pick some up on a Friday...

2011 Jul 26
when we had our burger topping cookoff I read about how great pretzle buns were with burgers. We couldn't find any so I made some that were pretty good but too much work, then had a burger with pretzle bun at a roadhouse, and now I wouldn't bother with them.
You have the right idea, buy them.
BTW the toppings everyone seemed to like the most, caramelized onion, grilled pineapple and brie.

2011 Jul 26
solstice, they have pretzel buns at Farm Boy on Merivale. I like the buns at the Piggy Market (hot dog buns too) which may or may not be from Art-is-in. Does anyone know where to get kimmelweck buns or potato buns in Ottawa? They are my choice when I'm doing burgers stateside.

2011 Jul 26
i don't have a bun recommendation. i prefer the thinido style buns. i'm with inkling, i hate when the bun overwhelms the burger and toppings. i'd think a cheddar & jalapeno bun will be what you taste and not the burger. sometimes a burger is just an excuse to load on excellent toppings and eat delicious bread, but is the burger is what you want to showcase, have the bun take a back seat.

2011 Jul 26
I posted a recipe and video a while back - if you cannot find it with searching let me know. - it is always a big hit

2011 Jul 27
I love the Art-is-in buns. They aren't typically available at retail unless you special order them the day before but they are totally worth it.

2011 Jul 27
If you can't get the Art-is-In ones, I can strongly recommend Harvest Loaf for theirs, or alternatively the ones at the Piggy Market.

2011 Jul 27
Thanks! I was actually JUST down on Wellington at Saslove's and Ottawa Bagel, and Piggy Market. I didn't see any Art-Is-In burger type buns...I glanced at Harvest and wondered if they'd be a good option...thanks for confirming!

I was able to get some cheddar jalapeno bread though! yum.

2011 Jul 27
I LOVE the grain hamburger buns at Harvest Loaf. I can't remember if they are whole wheat, multi-grain or 9-grain . This dough makes particularly good buns, better buns than bread, really. I often use the remaining buns to make toast for breakfast. Something about the grainy texture of the bun which has just the right amount of crust when toasted proportioned with the soft middle part of the bun, it tastes great simply with butter ... yum! Not cheap but worth every penny!

2011 Jul 29
Alex's bakery on Bank st was making hamburger buns a few weeks ago- they were soft white ones,don't think they had sesame seeds on them.
But haven't seen them there in a few weeks.

I know they have some Italian style crusty buns and a few other kinds-I think they are .50 ea?
Farm Boy also has some buns that are decent in the bulk bins.

2011 Jul 29
We find the Rideau Bakery hamburg buns a good option. Not too big, nice texture. Might be worth a try.

2011 Jul 29
Well here is something called a "Donut Mcmuffin" that I had for breakfast this morning made with an Amish spice donut instead of a bun. Apparently this place (Mt. Wellington market, Springfield NY) also uses donuts for hamburger buns too, but they use glazed donuts, and since they don't easily slice, they use two of them, a la Paula Deen.

2011 Jul 29
blubarry - what it in that?

2011 Jul 29
That mcmuffin looks delicious. It seems to be similar to Tim's plain doughnut, those dense rich spiced ones. Great idea!

To the OP, try baking some Greek egg bread, more commonly known as tsoureki. Uusally they're in decorative braid-like shapes, but you can opt for a conventional loaf, with or without the almonds on the surface.

2011 Jul 29
The doughnut McMuffin looks tasty but the idea of using glazed doughnuts (two of them!) for a hamburger sounds vile.

2011 Jul 29
was at art-is-in bakery and they had lots of their buns. not hamburger style though. they had a wide variety. there were lots of them during the 1/2 sale, you could buy them and freeze. they are nice sliced in half, a little butter and then grilled on the bbq, before loading with burger/toppings.

2011 Jul 30
The donut mcmuffin is a spicy fried style Amish donut, scrambled eggs, "American" cheese and a sausage patty. The glazed donut burger may sound vile, but if you are a Paula Deen or DDD fan, you may already think it's a classic.