The Big Apple [Food/Vendor]

2011 Jul 23
Everyone who has even driven on the 401 between Ottawa and Toronto have seen the Big Apple. Here is my advice: keep driving!!

We had guests drive up from Southern Ontario and picked up a couple pies that were "baked that same morning" according to staff. When we cut it up for eating the next day, the entire filling was covered in green mold and white fuzz. Later we found that the date of production was actually July 19, 3 days old at purchase. Guests are will be stopping by on the way home for a refund, even though the receipt says "no refund". I would love to be there to see how that goes.

I always thought the big apple was just a road side attraction and the their stuff sucked, but this is just ridiculous.

2011 Jul 23
I'm with you. Never had a mouldy one, but these pies are just average and way overpriced. Back when we didn't know better, my brother and I stopped there on the way back from a fishing trip and he picked up 6 pies I think. His then wife gave him an earful about how much pies normally cost in the grocery store. He and I were completely fooled, because we didn't normally shop pies.

Get a better pie, cheaper, at Costco, or better yet, make one from scratch.

2011 Jul 24
The big apple is to be avoided at all costs. When all they do is apple pies, they should be able to get it right, but the pastry is thick and too hard, and the fillings can be remarkably tasteless. I have given them a few chances on my way through, and the pies have always been way below average. Have never seen one in bloom like the photo above, however.
I don't understand the longevity of this space.

2011 Jul 24
on this bandwagon - we were brought one as a present last year, posssibly the worst apple pie ever.

2011 Jul 24
Curiosity got the better of us one time on the 401 and we stopped for pie. I don't remember it being particularly good or bad but what I found strange was that the cashier refused to let us take the pie without putting it in this over-sized clear plastic bag. It was a complete waste since we just had the one pie and could easily carry it out. Apparently this is their policy and she was incredibly adamant about it. It was all so bizarre.

2011 Jul 25
@ollie, I was fishing with my son this morning and I caught a large catfish, bigger than the one in your pic, on a crank bait. It put up a good fight too. It's the first time I caught a catfish on a crank bait (Big O - silver). I didn't think the went after those.