LF : wood from fruit trees, oak, maple [General]

2007 Jun 6
Hey folks,

This is food related since I use it for my smoker :-)

If anyone has any fruit trees of any kind (cherry, apple, plum, pear, etc) that they trim, I'd be interested in getting the trimmings from you. Anything from the size of your finger or larger. Oak and sugar maple are great for smoking as well if you are doing any trimming of those.

Please let me know - I'll travel for a good trunkload. Just got back from Arnprior with a load of Plum, Apple and Pear!

cheers,
-Alan
p.s. already thought of calling local orchards - just haven't gotten around to it yet :-)

2007 Jun 6
You might have to wait till late July or August for the orchard trimmings, as that's when we did summer pruning on the apple trees at the orchard where I worked. Otherwise, winter pruning is the norm (fewer suckers). Best of luck either way!

2007 Jun 6
I figure they must have piles of trimmings around somewhere anyway that I could get into pretty much any time of year, no?

2007 Jun 7
We cut down an apple tree and still have most of it piled in the back yard. It's been dead for a good year before we cut it though so I'm not too sure how great it would be.

2007 Jun 7
I'll take it! I'll PM you for how to find you. I won't likely be able to make it til next week or next weekend though.

2007 Jun 7
If you still need wood you can try freecycle (www.freecycle.org). I have seen lots of firewood being offered lately so you never know. I haven't been paying attention to the type of wood being offered since I don't have a fireplace but if all else fails you can post a "wanted" message and see what happens. Good luck.

2007 Jun 7
I won't use freecycle because it's based on Yahoo, but thanks for the thought.