Indian Restaurants [General]

2011 Jul 19
This is in response to ilikerealfood's review of Pasage to India. He said that this experience confirmed his idea that there are no good indian restaurants in Ottawa. This got me thinking ... we love Indian food but haven't been our for Indian that much in the last few years since we had the children as they tend to be less child friendly (our kids are 2 years old). I have a few favourites, or at least ones I went to for various reasons, i.e., location, etc.

Just wondering what others think. Here's my list:

1. Not really Indian, actually Sri Lankan, but very good - Ceylonta - they now have 2 locations.
2. East India Company - unfortunately it's buffet, but food is quite good, one friend found it expensive but I don't necessarily agree.
3. Light of India on Bank in the Glebe - I find the service a bit too formal for me, but seems to be a perennial favourite.
4. Taj Mahal restaurant on Bank Street at Holmwood in the Glebe - have been there a few times, my in-laws seem to like this place.
5. So many others, New Nupur on Bank Street, Coconut Lagoon on St. Laurent (South Indian food!), the Sitar (oldest Indian restaurant in Ottawa?), Haveli's?

2011 Jul 19
Light of India used to be a frequently visited spot when I worked at Billings Bridge.

SHAAN on Merrivale was also great for takeout.

Since moving to the market, I'll generally go to Haveli's, it's just a few blocks away.

2011 Jul 19
I enjoy the Mukut on Rideau just east of Charlotte but it really seems to get mixed reviews. Agree on flexie's comments on Light of India and East India Company.

2011 Jul 19
Best one I've found so far is Little India Cafe across from the movie theatres on Carling.

2011 Jul 19
Was pleasantly surprised at Bombay Masala Indian Cuisine a few months back.

Shaan Curry House has good takeout as Francis mentioned but they do not have a tandoori oven.

2011 Jul 19
I second Little India Cafe, try their mushroom curry. Amazing. Also Host Indian on Montreal road is very good a la carte. The buffet is very toned down, but recently someone told me the food was the same according to a employee. Though I've had both and the a la carte was much better.

2011 Jul 19
Thirding Little India Cafe, seconding Host India.

I also had New Nupur deliver to me on the weekend was was very pleasantly surprised. Excellent lamb vindaloo, made my eyeballs vibrate a bit. Didn't appreciate the $4.80 delivery charge, not simply because there was a charge, ut because it wasn't mentioned to me on the phone, and wasn't on the menu I had. The menu they put in the box with my order simply had the 'FREE' part of 'FREE DELIVERY' blacked out with a Sharpie.

2011 Jul 19
After trying most Indian restaurants in Ottawa, I still feel that Taj Mahal on Bank (Holmwood) is the best I have tried in this city.

Their food is consistently good, the same staff have been there for years, AND they have Newcastle Brown Ale on tap! (which is all that matters to my husband)

My opinion was confirmed yet again after eating at Pearl of India (in Orleans) last week. The food had no flavour and the butter chicken was a bright flourescent pink color and tasted way too sweet like they had mixed some cotton candy into the sauce. Won't be trying them again.

2011 Jul 19
Having been to Light of India this past Saturday for the second time, the food is indeed quite good, and spice levels seemed to be accurate in mild, medium and hot dishes - none of us had the capacity to try the Very or Extremely hot dishes to see. Service was fine for me, I don't know about "formal" but I'd say "polite". Though for a not-overly-busy evening, water refill was scarce, and mains took a bit of time to arrive - but were delicious once there.

Next time, we should try the Taj Mahal, since it's not much further.

I've been to Mukut once years ago, I liked it enough, but now I know more about the cuisine and should re-try it.

The one I can mention to avoid is the Taj near Little India Cafe. Overpriced and not as flavourful, and service bordering on the overly grating side.

2011 Jul 19
Forgot to mention Rangoli Indian Cuisine. Have had a few very good meals there.

2011 Jul 19
I really enjoy Ceylonta, and Mukut has some nice dishes.

You folks have given me a nice list of places to try.
Moni Mahal, Passage to India and the Shafali in the market have tainted my Indian food experience in Ottawa.

2011 Jul 19
To summarize: There are a number of good Indian restaurants in Ottawa (see above). But there are no GREAT Indian restaurants in Ottawa...

2011 Jul 19
Well that's what some Indian friends tell me . . . there are no good Indian restaurants in Ottawa. But then why not open one?

Perhaps it would be too different and not do well, though I'm sure foodies would appreciate it, a restaurant has to cater to the general palette or it will soon go out of business.

Then again every village has a prettiest girl . . . so she's not the prettiest girl in the whole wide world. Who cares? "All politics is local." And it's the same with food.

Does Ottawa have a supermodel? Who cares? There are plenty of pretty girls in Ottawa; I see many of them in the Byward Market summertime from my office window - not that I notice of course.

2011 Jul 19
echo the comments naming Shaan on Merivale and Ceylonta as good options.

2011 Jul 19
Tourist, I have to agree with you. I absolutely love Rangoli Indian Cuisine.

2011 Jul 19
We were just at an Indian restaurant celebrating a new grandson.
THE HOST, I think it is on Montreal Road. My son's in laws are Indian and they go there (although I've tasted the mom's food and it is superb).
Our meal was very good, served in family style, where we all shared.
I love that idea because I probably would order butter chicken, and now chick pea curry is one of my favourites. Lamb curry was delicious.

2011 Jul 19
We make Indian food at home all the time, so it's not our first choice when eating out, but I do love the biryani at Ceylonta.

2011 Jul 20
Pearl in Orleans and Indian Palace on Albert are my stand-bys. I've had plenty of good Indian food in Ottawa. I find it's one of those cuisines where people's opinions are a bit tainted by nostalgia. Either they've gone to some hole in a place like London and think it's the best ever or there was a neighbourhood joint in their hometown that nothing will ever compare to. To each their own, I've been to plenty of Indian joints in North America and Europe and have no problem with the selection in Ottawa.

2011 Jul 20
I forgot to mention that they had this Cheetah beer that was a full flavoured beer but not a dark beer.
Coconut lagoon has a Tiger beer, but it doesn't taste as good.

2011 Jul 20
My fav is Host India. Great food imo.

2011 Jul 28
I was back in Brampton this weekend and I picked up this feast for - listen up - 7.50 after tax from this place called "Friends Food and Sweets". This would cost me 30 in Ottawa. The channa alone in Ottawa is usually over 10 dollars. Then add 2.50 naan, 12.95 for thali, another 2 for a samosa.

Pictured is a vegi thali ($4, naan, salad and rice included) with an extra order of medium channa masala ($3.50) Don't remember all the other curries I had but there was definitely mutter paneer, some other paneer dish, lentil curry and a weird, pungent yet amazing vegetable curry. The naan was super fresh and the channa masala was kick ass - not for spice wimps.

This place also sells incredible samosas, 3 for a dollar. Are you kidding me? It is because of my amazing and cheep indian food experiences in Brampton, that I am very disappointed with Ottawa's indian offerings. That being said, the demographics of Brampton can easily support tonnes of, cheep, authentic indian food considering the fact that over 40% of Brampton is South-East-Asian.

I'm going to check out the Shaan curry house tonight, which seems reasonable with prices - not to mention the rave reviews I found on Ottawa Foodies. I'll report back later.

2011 Jul 29
Indian Byryani House on Bank st was recommended by a friend and I got take-out there and the food is extremely greassy.
I found out that they do not make their own samosas and I think they refry them- the paper bag they came in was siaked in grease by the time I got home 5 minutes later.
Has to put my samosas on a ton of paper towels to make them edible.
The other dishes I tried there were very oily too-I do not remember what they were.

I can't handle eating very spiced foods,so do not have much "real" indian food.
I do like the chicken Naan wrap at Basmati...but that is really fake Indian food.
But they make the Naan fresh while you are there and use real chicken breast in the wrap-if I am getting a sandwich while out I would rather have that or the vegetarian wrap over Subway or whatever downtown!

I finally also tried one of the dishes at Basmati- Eggplant Torkari I think it was. The dish was not spicy and was a bit too sweet. And WTF! they put RAW green pepper in my dish...really weird.
I like green pepper and vegetables-but that made the dish kind of weird.

I also know someone on another forum that got a pizza there and said it was not that great as it has chick peas on it.
The pizza I have ordered many times has chicken and has never had chick peas..so maybe it depends who is making the food there.

2011 Jul 29
prettytasty - greasy paper bags filled with samosas is how they are supposed to be enjoyed :)

2011 Jul 29

I was at Rinag Foods on Jamie Street yesterday with several friends from India and they just loved the food there. 2 different rice dishes, 2 chicken, 1 beef and many veggy dishes. Food was excellent. Its kinda of a weird place since you are sitting in the Banquet hall and serve yourself in another room. But the food was amazing and I have been to many many Indian resturants in Ottawa, Toronto, the UK and all over Europe. Its not fancy and a weird setup, but an amazing great Indian food. There main business is catering and prepared foods for places like Farm Boy and other shops and supply the food with fresh hot food from the back kitchens

2011 Jul 29
OH yeah, JDK! I had forgotten about Rinag. They are a caterer first, but serve lunch buffet, and the food is delicious! You have to know about it because you'll never see it unless you are doing business in that area.

2011 Jul 29
Market Organics on York near Dalhousie has samosas and spherical things (I don't know what they are called), like samosas for $1 each. Three of them for lunch is very filling. Vegetarian too.

2011 Jul 30
I'll add yet another vote for Rangoli - Rangoli Indian Cuisine

A full course is amazing, but I also find their lunch specials for about $10 or so to be excellent for something quick. Two curries, rice, naan and raita. I quite often do not finish the rice as it's more than enough food and the naan is great to scoop it all up.

I've probably tried about 20 Indian restaurants in 3 major Canadian cities over the past 10 years. Im far from an expert, but Rangoli is certainly in my top 3.

2011 Jul 30
Well the samosas I had from Indian Byryani House were litterally swimming in this yellow oil.
Not just a little of it, but I had to use at least 10 paper towels to make the grease less obvoius and to "dry off" the oil.
Really, it was that much.
maybe they were not fried properly? or maybe the oil for frying was not hot enough?

I used to buy fried samosas a lot over the years and have never had any with so much oil...ever!

How is the Haveli buffet in the Byward market?
I used to go there,but not in the past year...can't really eat a huge meal at once and now just eat many smaller things throughout the day.

Just remembered I tried Indian Express and Sweets last year,
did not like the food or samosas- the ones I got had some kind of brown seasoning in them I did not like.
The sweets I did not really like,their fried "crunchy" snacks my stomach could not handle either (was actually puking a few hours after my food there and i did not eat anything else that day or morning....).

I now get samosas at Cedars grocery- they are ok-they have potatoes and peas I think and the baked ones are 2 for $2.50
I think they get them from the same place all the other stores get the baked ones (Rinag maybe?).

Herb and Spice has ok samosas- there is one there that is spinach and tofu I think-$1 might be the price.
Good for a cheap snack,but doubt I'd go halfway across the city for that.