Best Farmer's Market? [General]

2011 Jul 15
We finally got a car (hooray hooray!) and we're dying to get to a "real" farmer's market (read: one where it's actually the farmers selling their food). I haven't seen anything yet that resembles the St. Jacob's Farmer's Market - any suggestions? We're willing to travel outside of the downtown core.
Thanks!!

2011 Jul 15
Congrats on the car.

I like the Carp Market. www.carpfarmersmarket.com/

My only complaint, they have several people selling baking esp. decorated sugar type cookies.

2011 Jul 16
The Lansdowne Farmer's market has several actual farmers or people who sell their gardening there.
But this year it should really be called the Lansdowne Food fair!
Most of it seems to be pies,cookies,curries,pizza,ice cream,bread,frozen take home meals,pancakes,crafts....
Still some produce though.

Not a farmer's market, but the Marche Outaouais has a list of farms you can visit and you can buy produce and items at the different places.
I am supposed to go visit the Bison farm and take a wagon ride in the field when family visits, that farm is in Wakefield.
sounds like it would be neat to do anyways.

There is also a few local vineyards in Gatineau you can visit and some you can pick strawberries at.

2011 Jul 17
Parkdale has quite a few actual farmers stalls

2011 Jul 18
I think you should try and visit lots of the farmers markets! There are many in Ottawa, and they all have their own special 'flavour'. And becuase they are not always on the same day or at the same time, you can go to more than one depending on what you are looking for. Maybe if you go to enough markets, you can pretend you were at the St. Jacobs market. ;-)

I'm partial to the Ottawa Organic Farmers Market, and not just because I'm a vendor there. ;-) It might be the smallest, rinky-dink market out there, and I'll bet it has the worst website too, but those aren't the most important features to me when it comes to a farmers market.

The first time I went there with my family (before we became vendors there), my husband called it the rebel farmers market! You could get farm fresh eggs, real milk, as well as all the other things you might expect: veggies, meats, fruits, etc.

- It's open all year round (inside in the winter and rainy days),

- Most of the vendors are from certified organic farms (some of the vendors that have been there for over 20 years have organic farms, but are not certified),

- The majority of the produce, meats, etc are from local farmers, but as this market specializes in 'certified organic' some of the vendors bring in other things like oranges, lemons, bananas, etc. Can't grow those here!

You can check out the website, but as I mentioned, it's in dire need of an update! Any web designers out there that want to work for market money? lol!
www.oofmarket.ca

2011 Jul 19
BTW, I counted at Parkdale the other day and precisely half of the stalls are farmers, not vendors. That is the new designation this year - either "Farmer" or "Vendor". As I recall there are 15 stalls, with 7 farmers, 7 vendors, and one who is both.

2011 Jul 19
I agree with Organic Girl, each market has their own special flavour. Like people, strengths and weeknesses, pros and cons.

Just a little comment/question/observation about the Ottawa Organic Farmers Market (the one off of Heron Road behind the Canadian Tire), I was there a few months ago - likely around the end of April, it was a particularly sunny warm day. I seem to recall a number of vendors who seemed to be of German origin. They were selling all sorts of stuff, meat, baked goods, etc. What's up with that? Just curious ...

2011 Jul 20
zymurgist, I've got to admit, I've never really thought about the difference that people might perceive when using the terms 'vendor' or 'producer'. I tend to think of myself as a vendor, but I guess I'm more of a producer!

flexie, not totally sure if I understand what you are asking. Are you wondering why there are so many Germans? Or wondering about what they are selling? ;-)

I guess I'll answer as best I can, and please ask more if I'm not answering your question.

There are the Beck's from Paradise farm. They are German and have been at the market since the very early days. They specialize in breads (and are very excited about their new wood fired brick oven!!), spelt products and traditional European pastries. They also raise beef, chicken, lamb and eggs, and bring a small amount of veggies in season.

There is the Beck's son, Andreas, (also German!) and he also bakes bread & buns like his mom and dad, and makes amazing soft pretzels!

There is also Hedwig, who speaks German, but is from Austria. She also offers baking, but is best known for dairy products like milk, cheese and butter. She also has eggs from time to time. As well, she brings herbs, and other produce in season.

As well, you may have come on a day the Graham Beck's wife was tending the table for Little Stream Bakery. She is also German. They bring beautiful sourdough breads, some are gluten free.

That would make for quite a few German stalls! There is also Klazina who sells wild BC salmon, she's from the Netherlands, but someone could mistake her for German I guess.

If it was April (before there is an abundance of foodstuffs from the garden,) I'm guessing it looked like a very German Market with lots of bread! Maybe try again in the midst of veggie season.

2011 Jul 20
Oh man, nobody told me that place was loaded with Germans - I gotta get myself over there so schnell wie moeglich!