Cold Stone Creamery now open on Bank st! [Food/Vendor]

2011 Jul 9
I was passing by Bank st a few days ago and saw that the Tim Horton's at Cameron st now has a Cold Stone Creamery store inside it.
Finally today I had the time to stop by and check it out.
I tried this ice cream "concept" a few years ago in the US and thought it was a neat idea.

I remember when I did try Cold Stone Creamery it was ok, but overly sweet.
From my visit today I do think a lot of their ice cream and toppings are more sweet than flavorful.

I tried the Birthday Cake remix that was supposed to be cake batter ice cream,brownie bits,rainbow sprinkles and fudge...but they forgot the fudge on my order.
It was sweet enough without it though-so I won't miss those calories.

The smallest cup is $4 and is very small.
They were also giving out samples of chocolate ice cream with bits of chocolate in it- their chocolate ice cream is not very chocolaty at all.

I also asked to sample the blueberry ice cream and it was ok- it has no real fruits in it, so was not that appealing.
Another small disappointment is the only kind of sorbet they have is LEMON :(
Most of the time when I get gelato I usually get sorbet- the Cold Stone one I did not try,but it did not seem too appealing.

I will probably try one more cup of ice cream from their menu- prob something with fruits,just to see how that is.

But I do not think I will be buying ice cream there, it is too sweet and they do not have many "real" toppings like fruits or nuts yet.
There is a gelato place I go to and they actually put real blueberries in the ice cream and that is 100x better (and cheaper too).

So, has anyone else been to Cold Stone Creamery on Bank st yet??

I also think for my junk food I will go for the DQ Blizzard or the McFlurry

If anyone is curious I will post the link to the ingredients info.
www.coldstonecreamery.com

*Also in the store today, the staff seems to imply their ice cream is "fresh and healthy". Well if you read the ingredients list you'll be surprized!

2011 Jul 9
Thanks for the review.. but what I want to know, is which gelato place are you talking about?

2011 Jul 9
I usually go to Malak pastry.
Just looked up their address and it is :

1216 Bank Street
Ottawa, ON K1S 3Y1

Malak does not always have a ton of flavors, usually I'd say around 10 total (Tues there was just 4 or 5 I think).
I usually grab ice cream or sorbet there as it si on the way back from doing groceries.
(well, that's my excuse anyways).

I'm sure there is a lot of other good places for ice cream too.
Life of Pie sells Pasquale's ice cream- but only in the 500ml container.
I don't want to tempt myself with too much ice cream...a small cup is better for me.

2011 Jul 9
I found this ice cream last week and was impressed by it's quality and price. As far as supermarket ice creams the ingredient list is fairly short with cream being the first ingredient.

www.nestle.ca

2011 Jul 10
That does look interesting.

I don't think Foodbasics carries it yet- so I haven't seen that kind yet.

I actually like some of the Chapman's products.
They have some sort of new frozen yogurt with interesting flavors.
Bought one that was strawberry rhubarb granola- ingredients seemed quite healthy.

I still like the strawberry shortcake pops from MM meats, Nestle/goodhumour used to sell them everywhere here and now since MM carries them they have dissapeared off the shelves under Nestle name.
But I don't know if those really fall under ice cream...maybe more sugar junk food?

Fudgesicles are good too- but not the imitation ones!

chapmans.ca

I want to try the pear one but they are always out when I've looked for it.

Natural Food pantry also has many good non-dairy ice creams.

Rice divine carrot cake or mocha something are both quite good.

2011 Jul 11
Rats someone beat me to it...

So yes, COLD STONE has opened its first O-town location on Bank, in the Tim's a block North of Riverside. Fear. Fear for your diets.

If you know the chain from the US or TO, you know resistance is pointless. Awesome quality icecream positively slaughtered on a cold marble slab with even more awesome selected ingredients like brownies and real chocolate bars and cookie dough and optionally stuffed into a waffle cone just in case you weren't quite sugartripped out... I'm betting the DQ across the street is very unhappy, ditto the people opening the Gelateria a few blocks north up the street. But i don't care... i now have a COLD STONE in my city. All is well with the universe. Except for the getting fat part. The 'Chocolate Devotion' is just plain wrong. Especially if you add cookie dough to it.

...And here i was going to the gym and everything...

2011 Jul 11
Curious to try this place.

Meantime, I can't help but think of Aziz Ansari's standup bit in Funny People, making fun of the 'like it-love it-gotta have it' size names.

2011 Jul 11
Does anyone think they will do well on bank in terms of beeing a success?

2011 Jul 11
Don't see why not. Given the fairly huge residential pop within walking distance, it should work. The Tim's/Cold Stone combo has done well in TO.
That Tim's on Bank always has foot traffic during the day, and the DQ across the street has lineups out the door during the warm month(s).

2011 Jul 12
I sampled the chocolate devotion one.
They were giving small sample cups on Saturday of that.
Didn't find it very chocolaty at all- well not compared to my "usual" dark chocolate ice cream.

If you try the Malak's dark chocolate ice cream- it is very dark and almost too much chocolate.
I gave my stepfather a container of that for his birthday as he only likes dark chocolate of 70-75% cocoa content, not more and not less (he is VERY picky about his chocolate) and he really likedit and said it was almost too much cocoa...but he did finish the whole container... :)

But I guess if you like milk chocolate ice cream Cold Stone is good...kind of depends what you like.
I like milk chocolate ice cream,but not if I want something very rich.

The other thing that will stop me from going to Cold Stone too much is if you read the nutrition info and calories- you won't want more than the smallest size (well I don't anyways).

The price at Cold Stone is also quite high, the smallest cup with mix ins is $4 and is barely 1/2 a cup ice cream..it is very small.
The store I go to a large cup is $4 and they are very generous with the scoops of ice cream- esp if you shop there every week :)
I know price is not everything though,but for some it is an issue.

Not sure how Cold Stone Creamery will do in that area.
I walk by that was 3 times a week and always see a lot of people in the Tim's with doughnuts and now ice cream cups.

But Dairy Queen is also quite busy too.
In that same area there is also Malak pastry that has gelato and sorbet, they seem quite busy too.
I think the new gelato shop opening where phase 2 was will probably do well to as they are supposed to have Panini and meals.

Each store has different kinds if ice cream, so I hope they all do well.

2011 Jul 12
@prettytasty Is that Malak's on Carling? I've been working in the area for the last year (and enjoying Alladin's pies all the while), and will kick myself if I've been missing out on a solid gelato spot. I never really noticed it until recently, haven't been in there yet.

2011 Jul 13
I've been to the Malak's on Carling a few times and they never had ice cream when I was there .
Was last there 2 months ago. They have more variety of pastries at the Carling store though.

I usually go to the Bank st store as that is a few minutes away from me.
Also the Carling shop, Malak they did not have any savory pies that I saw.

I tried an eclair...it was ok, I think it had cusatrd in it-but not too sure as it was a long time ago.

The store on Bank they only have sweet things too- would be nice if they did have some savory items.
-well I guess sometimes they have these sesame bread bun things that are flat-but you are supposed to eat that with some kind of sweet filling,but I have bought those to use at home for sandwiches before.

I have never tried the Alladin's pies. I am on Carling a few times a week around dinner time...will get around to trying them.

Before I forget, if you go to Malak on Bank st the owner was telling me they also make a sugar free baklava made with Maltitol, but you have to ask for it- they do not keep that kind out with the others.
And also last week was told they usually have one kind of sorbet made with maltitol that is sugar free.
I have never tried these items as I like my sugar (and have no need to reduce that).
I may get the sugar free baklava for a family member sometime though.
Maybe this extra info will be helpful for people who cannot eat sugar?

I know on their storefront it says "diet ice creame" but does not really explain what that is,lol.

2011 Jul 14
Tim Hortons in the ice cream business ...

I heard about this earlier this week. There’s a 2 for 1 coupon at the following site:

ottawa.flyerland.ca

I was in Winnipeg last week and tried the Marble Slab Creamery (MSC) for the first time and really liked it. It looks like Cold Stone is the same sort of concept. Apparently there are 100's of MSC locations in NA and abroad - none in Ottawa yet. I thought this would be a good business opportunity, apparently Timmies has beat me to it.

In terms of location, Cold Stone is located across the street from a Dairy Queen. There’s a sign in the window of a building further north on Bank Street near Sunnyside saying that a gelato place will be opening up soon.

So many options to get ice cream in Old Ottawa South!

2011 Jul 15
I went back to Cold Stone last night (had a Tim's gc to use up).
Tried the Cheesecake Fantasy...really it wasn't much fantasy at all (unless you count my fantasizing about going to Dairy Queen).

The cheesecake ice cream was good, the fruits part was so puny- TWO whole strawberries and 6 blueberries and maybe 1 teaspoonful of graham cracker crumbs.
This was for the smallest size.

What was really lame was the fruit was still frozen solid so it did not blend too well. I also think I was kind of shortchanged on the ice cream. Last time my cup was at least full over the top and this time it was not even close to that.
I will post the two pics of my ice creams later on today one they are uploaded.

And I paid slightly over $4 for this :(
Not more than 5 spoonfulls of ice ice cream I'm sure (ok maybe 6...).

The only good thing about my visit was I found out they make the sugar cones there fresh all the time. I did not try them, but they did smell very good.
I am going to go back just to buy some plain "sugar cones" (they are more a small bowl shape.

Also when I asked the employees working there about the ice cream if it was all natural they told me it was and that it has no colouring and it is made from scratch.
Maybe the people working there have not read the ingredients in what they make?
But from reading the Cold Stone website...it is far from natural.
But I guess it is "freshly made".

I actually went to buy a cup of ice cream somewhere else afterwards.
(went to Malak and bought a small cup of ice cream that easily had twice the amount for $3-dark chocolate mint ice cream was great, and blueberry sorbet was good too).

Guess this is getting kind of long....
Next time I want something with a mix in I will go to Dairy Queen- the Cheesequake blizzard is quite good or maybe the McDonalds mini Mcflurry.

Can't wait to try the new gelato place opening on Bank st, more choices are always fun when it comes to ice cream!

If you go to Cold Stone the best deal is probably the 500 "take home" that costs $7.
I was told they can also make one with your choice of mix ins for $7, with up to 3 mix ins. Hopefully what I was told was correct.
I might get one of the 500ml containers sometime, not sure though-I still have $5 left on the Tim's gc (maybe will get coffee with it??)

2011 Jul 18
It's not quite as good as what I've tried in the US (DC and VA area) but it's still a decent treat. Something different anyways.

Oh and for anyone talking about fresh/healthy/natural with ice cream, I think you should get your head checked. Ice cream ("natural" or not) is not healthy in any way. It's junk food.

2011 Jul 18
Lol,
I know "natural" is not always healthy- heck I sometimes have chocolate, fries,doughnuts and those are not healthy- but they are natural.

(not talking about tim's here....).

Just if I am going to be paying a lot for ice cream I would at least like it to taste like the actual fruit or whatever.
The Cold Stone blueberry ice cream just sucks- it is like neon purple and you would have to actually be told it is blueberry.
-same for their "cotton candy" kind very weak flavor (even tho that one is artificial).

If you want to eat things filled with preservatives and color for whatever you eat- then go ahead!
Some people they can not tolerate too many preservatives in their food for many reasons and chose to watch those things.

2011 Jul 19
I had bought the burgandy cherry ice cream from farm boy and it was quite good.

Does anyone know where to get hagan daz mango in Ottawa?

2011 Jul 19
One of the nice things about Cold Stone is that they offer a very tiny cup for those that just want a small portion. Sure it can be expensive, but even in the tiniest size they can do the mix-ins, and most places won't accommodate that.

2011 Jul 19
Forgot to mention that when I tried Marble Slab Creamery in Winnipeg, I didn't get any mix-ins. I just tried the ice cream as is and enjoyed it. There seemed to be over 10 maybe 20 or more options for ice cream and then they offered the mix-ins. Don't know if Cold Stone has as many mix-ins, will ahve to try when I get a chance ...

2011 Jul 19
Well, I guess it is good to have the choice of mix-ins.
Cold Stone does seem to have some interesting choices- I want to try the Tim Horton apple fritter ice cream once at least- might be really bad or might be decent...who knows.
I think it is just a Canadian thing though??

The place I normally go to for a small cup of ice cream (Malak) they do not have mix-ins, but I guess you could ask for some nuts in your ice cream or chocolate chips or sprinkles or cream...I have never tried that (but they are quite accommodating and have sold me nuts for baking even before).

But you know what...if you have a cup of ice cream that is too big (I find the DQ blizzard small quite a lot), you can always eat half and put the rest in your freezer. It does keep ok for a week or two.

And since we are talking about ice cream here. I was just on Carling and the Malak store there is closed? kind of surprized by that.
Also the place beside it that sells cheese and meat pies- they do not seem to be open after 8pm??

Carlingwood mall has a Dairy Queen in it though- it is beside the Kernels popcorn and with a Orange Julius stand.
Had the banana cream pie blizzard- it is good as they use real banana that they slice when you order!
I also had a coupon deal where I paid $2 for the Blizzard...so that was even nicer!

Before I forget- The Cold Stone store here they had only 8 kinds of ice cream and maybe 12 or 15 mix-ins.
Ice cream flavore were Mint,Chocolate, Birthday cake, cheese cake, "blueberry", cotton candy. only sorbet they have is lemon :(
mix-ins I remember were resses cups,pie crust (was really graham crumbs), frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries (defrosted would be better...hard to mix and eat when still solid frozen). they are supposed to have chocolate topping,but they never put any on my dish that was supposed to have it :(

2011 Jul 20
You overlooked brownies, cookie dough, chocolate chips, peanut butter and about six kinds of chocolate bars. And possibly oreos.

And now i'm hungry.

2011 Jul 21
Watch your calorie intake:

www.cspinet.org

Cold Stone Creamery PB&C Shake: Even people accustomed to 1,500-calorie burgers wouldn’t expect 2,000-calorie shakes. A 24-oz. “Gotta Have It” size shake of peanut butter, chocolate ice cream, and milk has a day’s calories (2,010) and three and a half days’ worth of saturated fat (68 grams). Cold Stone’s Web site says, without a whiff of irony, “Your Health – Just as Important as Taste.” One large Cold Stone Creamery PB&C Shake is like drinking two 16-oz. T-bone steaks plus a buttered baked potato.

2011 Jul 21
Also, it tastes AWESOME. :)

2011 Jul 21
OSoloMeal- thanks for the additional info, I did mention I can not remember every topping they have....I have only been there twice and am not a employee there...so my memory of the toppings is not that great ;)

SingleServing...thanks for the comparison.
I did post the ingredients and nutrition in my post. it can also be found here:

Cold Stone, list of ingredients for every single item they make:

Calorie counts for ice cream:

calories for mix in:

All the links for other items they sell: