New to Ottawa - Looking for a Fishmonger [General]

2011 Jul 5
Hi there,

I'm new to Ottawa and I am looking for a good fishmonger or fishmarket in the Ottawa area (willing to travel in the surrounding area). I'd like a place with a very fresh and wide selection. Actually, it doesnt have to be that wide of a selection so as long as it's fresh!!!

Many thanks for the suggestions!

2011 Jul 5
Pelican Fishery in Ottawa South is highly recommended for fresh fish. Ha Long Fish in Chinatown is also a good spot to try: www.ottawachinatown.ca

2011 Jul 5
Borealis - I have had good success at T&T Supermarket. The have great fresh mussels (in running water), crab and other fish and seafood. It's located at 224 Hunt Club Road. It's quite a drive for me, but often worth it. Cheers!

2011 Jul 5
Above are both good suggestions, but my recent favorite is Wellington wholesale seafood in Hintonburg, almost across the street from the KFC. He supplies many of the chefs in Ottawa, and the bonus is that we non-professionals get to access this wonderful resource. I've had excellent day boat scallops, black cod, matane shrimp, fresh pickerel and I know he can even get things like fresh crawfish in season. Have never been disappointed. Small place but excellent quality. A few weeks back I bought 5 pounds of mussels and every single one opened and they were delicious.

2011 Jul 5
How's the pricing at the Wellington wholesale store? Is it marked up for retail clients. I too have been searching for a decent seafood vendor. I tried the fish market on Merivale across from Dick's Burger Joint and .. they basically thaw frozen seafood on the ice... In the case of the shirmp, they open up the bags from the freezer and literally dump them out.. and up the price!

2011 Jul 5
Lapointe's also operates a wholesale store although I haven't been there yet. Their coordinates are here: www.lapointefish.ca

2011 Jul 5
Ravi, I am 5 min. from Merivale Fish, and now drive to Wellington because it's better. He does have some frozen stuff, but also many fresh things and I tend to just go in and see what's there, and decide on the spot what to have for dinner. I don't know if it's marked up or not, but the prices are all quite clear on the blackboards. I usually go in and ask what's fresh that day, and have never been disappointed. I did get some frozen lobster claws there (very large for $4 each) and they were really great. Ditto the patagonian shrimp that were phosphate free. I confess I don't really know how much fish costs elsewhere, since I have been going only to Wellington lately. I do know that he seems to be price conscious, as when I asked about fresh lake perch, he said he can get it but it's very expensive, even more than fresh pickerel, so he doesn't bring it in. For me the price is secondary to the quality, so I am just enjoying the fact that so far, Wellington has provided me with the absolute best.

2011 Jul 5
I like the Whalesbone retail outlet at 504 A Kent Street. Their selection is at the mercy of whatever is in season so sometimes it is small, sometimes it is large but it is always good quality. They only deal with sustainable seafood which is also a plus.

2011 Jul 5
whalesbone for sure....everything sustainable

2011 Jul 5
whalesbone.

2011 Jul 6
And whalesbone also does in house smoked fish.

2011 Jul 6
How are their prices? There is a great smoke house in Chelsea but their prices are very steep.

2011 Jul 7
I'm a real fan of Wellington Wholesale Seafood. The guys are super nice and they have great product. I highly recommend the patagonian shrimp. These are the best shrimp I have tasted in a long time.

2011 Jul 7
I like Wellington Seafood.

2011 Jul 8
Most stores sell defrosted shrimp.
Even most restaurants here use defrosted shrimp.

Unless you live beside an ocean you are getting defrosted shrimp at the store,
Heck even the Canadian fish and seafood vendor online their Canadian caught shrimp...you get them frozen.

(that is Clearwater seafoods..have not bought from them yet).

Wellington Wholesale sounds great, will have to check it out.
I am looking for shrimp without preservatives. Pelican fishery has some and they are frozen and always freezerburned.

PC/loblaws has some frozen organic shrimp- they actually looked decent and a ok price.

Bank st saussage co has in house smoked salmon- hot smooked and cold smoked- both are quite good. they also have "real" smoked chicken- not the crap you see at the grocery store.
prices seem decent..not that I really compare them.

2011 Jul 8
Thank you all so much for the suggestions. We will definately be giving them all a try but I have to say I think first on my list is Wellington! We adore Matane shrimp and usually stock up on our way back from Gaspe when we go several times a year but it will be impossible this year. Nice to know that we'll still be able to get it...YUM!!!!

2011 Jul 13
CEDARS on Bank two blocks North of Riverside almost always has a small selection of quality fresh fish. Typically some subset of salmon/tuna/halibut/trout. Always solid quality and fresh.

Also seafood, some frozen, some not. Haven't tried it so i can't comment.