Great Ottawa restaurants of the past [General]

2011 Jul 4
I am an occasional visitor to this site and years ago I always said I would create this thread but never did until now: great Ottawa restaurants of the past which are no longer with us.

My first candidate:

La Rose des Sables on McArthur Road. It was located in a private house and had several small intimate rooms. Last time I checked this house was now a Toyota dealership - not an improvement!

Back in the early 1980s this was the most incredibly good restaurant I ever ate at in Ottawa, not to mention in North America. Not only was their Moroccan food flawless but the service was 100% as well. You would never be bothered by a waiter, yet the moment you turned your head there was one at your elbow. This is the "nec plus ultra" of service.

Sadly they developed delusions of grandeur and moved downtown. I ate there once after that but they had completely lost the magic in the interests of expansion and I never bothered to go back. Naturally they went under shortly afterwards, smothered by their delusions of glory. Such a pity.

Does anyone else have stories like this? - I have several of them, which I can post in coming days.

Next up - the Golden Dragon on Rideau Street - one of the first restaurants in the city to serve Dim Sum.

2011 Jul 4
Great Topic - 2 come to mind right away
(1) El Toro's in the Brittania Plaza in the westend. It was by far, had one of the best pizza of it time and would stack up today as one of the best. Cold draft and it was an evening. The waiting staff were like your Mom or Dad and continue to tell you to finish you salad or whatever was on your plate. When the Home Hardware closed next door they expanded into as a bar and had many a cold beer there ..great place and great food
(2) Across the road and down the street ...Peter's Pantry.. great bowl drinks and the serving staff were hired by the length of their legs and the shortness of the dresses they wore. I think the food was ok ..the food was pretty good not an El Toro's pizza but decent - more like a round version of a Prescott pizza from what I remember after a few fishbowl zombies !! Oh the good old days when I was young and foolish, now I am older and foolish but a bit slower !!

JDK

2011 Jul 4
cocina latina on sunnyside ave. it was a mother-son duo from chile and the space was sparsly furnished, it was all about the food. they always had some specialty national item to get us to try and we always just took what they recommended we eat. i haven't had any similar food in ottawa since. vina del mar's menu just doesn't sound as interesting or varied as what cocina latina did.

2011 Jul 5
Does anyone else remember a little French restaurant in a small shopping mall at the corner of St. Laurent Blvd and Hemlock about 30+ years ago called Le Petit Gourmet? We discovered this little gem while using the laundromat in the same plaza and got into the routine of eating there while doing our weekly laundry. It was owned by a couple....he was the chef and she looked after the front of the house. I remember great food and lovely service. It was such a favourite of ours that we asked them to cater our small wedding reception which they did in fine style. We moved away from Ottawa soon after and by the time we returned some 10 years later, Le Petit Gourmet was no longer around.

2011 Jul 5
Villa Capri on Merivale where the Villa Pizzeria (?) is right now, coincidentally with the name I assume since there were other things there in the interim. Mid 80s. Right across from where Dick's is now. They had a spectacular lunch fresh pasta menu with 10 selections, and each one either cream based or tomato based, or you could put your own together. They had 5 hot plates and the chef cooking it for you there in the middle of the restaurant. Great value for the money and great food.

2011 Jul 5
Great Topic!

The Wildflower Cafe.- Pestalozzi College at Rideau and Chapel - first time I ever saw "natural" foods!

Cafe La Guillotine on Sussex Drive - First salad Nicoise...

I remember Le Petit Gourmet Too.

Also for high end
Henry Burger when Mme Burger was actually there and
The Green Valley for familiy meals
The latter two go back to the 1950s. I'm feeling old!

2011 Jul 5
When I was young and hated Fish, my Dad took me to a hole in the wall near the old CJOH building and had my first Fish and Chips at a place called Chappy's. They even used newspaper to deliver the fish. On the same note, along Eagleson near Bridlewood was a great Fish and Chip hangout called Sanibels

2011 Jul 5
I worked @ Peter's in its heyday, probably the best spot I ever worked, amazing staff, great owners (Nick, Frank & Peter) great concept. A real professionally ran organization. Tony from Capone’s got his real start there as well.

I opened the Bullring lounge with Brian Warner who stayed with the family until they closed the doors. I agree about the Pizza, it was simply the best...

La Maison on Nepean St, WAY ahead of its time (I think Beckta is there now but I could be mistaken), The Banana Boat (best wings), Saucy Noodle (always a great night out, Dave Kalil got his start there), Brandy's, Houlihans, the Barking Fish on Beachwood, the ONLY Cajun style restaurant in Ottawa @ the time...just to name a few

2011 Jul 5
All through my university days I loved the veggie burger at Daphne and Victor's. I don't know how veggie it would be by today's standards, because it had cheese on it, but it was a thing of beauty chock full of nuts etc. Also used to love the brunch at Clair de Lune, where they always started off with fresh mimosas and a nice basket of pastry. When my parents were in town in those days, we went to one of three places: The Canadian Grill in the Chateau Laurier for a red meat fix, Le Jardin on the market for "fancy" food, as my brother referred to it, and the Green Valley on Prince of Wales. The Green Valley had a small dining room in the back that was very pretty, as well as the main dining room and IIRC they also served tea and you would often see well dressed matrons in hats enjoying their teatime. I remember getting really drunk there as a student, and having great difficulty using the spring loaded escargot tongs, sending one flying across the dining room. Probably not the only gaffe I committed in those days.

2011 Jul 5
I started my pastry career at the Green Valley, I don't think the menu had been updated from at least the '70's . I worked there from 1999 to 2001 I think. The waitresses were still wearing the oldschool truck stop style uniforms with the ruffly aprons. Pity you didn't get to see the scary basement...there was stuff down there that had not been in use in decades...a full butchering kitchen with a bunch of meat saws and grinders and other stuff, there was a cake decorating room that was completely empty of anything but was quite large and must have been hopping back in the day. The employee change room had lots of lockers, bathroom and a lounge with and old couch, tables and chairs etc. The waitresses liked to catch up on the soaps between lunch and dinner service. There were fridges freezers and dry storage down there that we did use, but the basement was a huge maze of scary dark spaces and most of it was completely unused. I'd kill for that much storage at my current workplace, even if it did mean having to prowl around a creepy basement with a flashlight.

I miss brunch with my friends at William street cafe circa 1990 or so. They would bring your table an entire carafe of cafe au lait, and it made for interesting people watching on a Sunday morning.

2011 Jul 5
Laurier sur Montcalm for me. That was our standard "special occasion" restaurant for many years in the 90's. We were crushed when Georges Laurier closed the doors.

Trattoria Zingaro on Beechwood was great under its original ownership and brought a fresh perspective on Italian/Tuscan food compared to the standard places in Ottawa.

Cafe Wim and the Cock Robin pub in the Market.

2011 Jul 5
Here was my post on El Toro's back in 2008. It is in a thread called "Days & Eats Gone by".

bit.ly/pESW1m

Zym plugged Villa Capri back then as well. Sorry I missed that one.

2011 Jul 6
Diamond BBQ on Elgin....awesome Down East Blueberry pie. Pies were made with half cooked and half uncooked berries. When you returned the metal pie plate you got your 10 cent deposit back.

2011 Jul 7
I miss the Marble Works Sunday brunch buffet. Mini-bennies, roasts, piles of well-done bacon... i have yet to find an ayce breakfast buffet in Ottawa to match it.

Also, a moment of silence for The Greek Souvlaki House. More food on a single souvlaki platter than any normal human should ever eat, solid quality, and dammit i miss the Thursday night stuffed peppers like i would miss one of those internal organs you can live without but miss anyways...

2011 Jul 7
Among the recently departed, there is Zibibbo, a nice little Italian resto on Somerset which had very good wines and at least one delicious pasta dish (ravioli) that I ate on my sole visit back in the summer, 2004.

In Aylmer, there was a nice French place Créno with a gracious owner/chef. I had a great New Year's Eve dinner there back in 2005-06. Sadly, it didn't last long and gave way to the heinous pseudo-Italian resto which survives there to this day.

2011 Jul 8
Wow!
I remember so many of those!

As a kid I went to El Toro with my dad and sister quite often.
I don't remember too much of the food though- except my dad would usually get steak.

Hemingway's restaurant was also nearby.
Don't remember that as being "great" but it had steak, pub food and my dad seemed to like the teak there too.
The breaded scallops were good there (I'm sure I've had better ones though..but I was prob like 7 or 10 years old then...).

On Merivale Rd there used to be a small restaurant called Briskets (it is now a Viet food place with the same benches and layout).
It used to be a smoked meat restaurant,but they also had really good homemade breaded zuchinni, breaded mushrooms (none of the frozen stuff), the smoked meat was good and they also had a tasty smoked meat soup w potato,carrot and other veggies).

Briskets also had a breakfast menu and their hash brown potatoes were quite good- they had onion and some seasoning on them.
I think they closed because the owner wanted to retire.

*Another place I used to like was Azteca.
But before they renovated they were always super busy and prices were good.
After they did a fancy expensive renovation- prices almost doubled.
It was still busy sometimes, but sometimes dead and they were open afternoons (which was prob a money loser as sometimes I would be the only person there..)
Prices were way too high- like almost $20 for enchiladas or a main dish.

I would sometimes get a soup and appetizer and even that was kind of expensive I found.
But the food was very fresh, so it is too bad they closed.

*I remember Eurostar bar on Elgin st.
They had some good 70's bar drinks and the old menu's to match.
The two Lebanese women who owned that restaurant live on one of my friend's street!
Can't say the food was very good there...except the fried pita chips you got with a drink!
-one of the few places that actually knew what a velvet hammer drink is :)

But one small restaurant I did like that was in that hotel that is at Laurier near Elgin called Kaos.
The owner was pretty young and everything was made from scratch- even the pastas and they had really good baguette that had different spices in it every day.
The main dishes were somewhat expensive and it is also an area where there are not too many people after work hours- so kind of not surprized they did not last.
They had a really good lunch menu and I used to work a block away and would always get the roasted eggplant wrap and the ceasar salad.

And speaking of RIP restaurants?
It looks like Lucky Key is maybe closed?
I was by there today and their sign looks like it is taken off the front.
Not sure if anyone knows what is going on there.
There was kind of a gate around it too due to road construction.
anyone know if there are closed for good?

I also remember eating at Green Valley when I was a "kid" (I'm 34 now...), can't remember what I ate there though as it was ages ago and before people had food blogs ;)

Also remember Cafe Wim!
The only place I tried Croquettes at, also remember people were always playing chess there!

2011 Jul 8
Prettytasty In my recollection the Green Valley Restaurant = Mickey Mouse ice cream!

2011 Jul 8
My biggest regret was going to Café Wim only once, and even then only for the coffee and the company. I remember walking in, seeing people playing chess, and thinking to myself, "this is a place that I could definitely get used to."

Then they closed :(

2011 Jul 8
I remember having a fantastic outdoor lunch on the beautifully surrealistic patio at the Maplelawn Cafe (now the Keg Manor, on Richmond Rd).

www.historyofhomes.net

2011 Jul 8
loved cafe wim, though not all of us played chess, some of us played backgammon or just read books :-)

2011 Jul 8
Prettytastyreviews, Lucky Key is indeed gone and closed for good - there was an article in the Citizen about that.

I remember being at U of O and everyone intelligent I knew going to Wim, but I never went because I didn't drink coffee. Definitely a missed opportunity.

I do remember going only once to Mick's Pub in the Market, below the Mercury Lounge (I never remember what name it has this year). Went on a non-smoking Thursday (because Charles de Lint played weekly and did not want the stench on him and his instruments and friends), enjoyed the music, and had my first Guinness, back when it was the real stuff. Took ten minutes to pour, I was afraid of it, but gamely started - and the Irish half of my blood woke up and went "mmm, food!" and I was amused to have just a small buzz when some heavy Quebecois drinkers I knew couldn't finish it.

Also missing the Imperial Pizza next to Barrymore's, which used grease as an art form, had wonderful vegetarian pizza without olives, and always had cold Cott soft drinks. Drink and huge slice for $2.50 was a steal even back then.

2011 Jul 8
thinking back to university days, i also miss the duke of somerset at bank & somerset. it was a small basement pub that they would fill past capacity, especially on wednesday (open mic) and sundays (jimmy george). they did serve food, but i don't think anyone was brave enough to eat it. it was more of a stand up, drink your beer, listen to the band and pray a stray dart didn't hit you on its way past.

2011 Jul 9
It wasn't a restaurant but I have 'Fond Memories' of the Chaudiere Rose Room!

Near the end of the night there was a fellow selling sandwiches he'd walk through the tavern yelling "ROOOOAST BEEF...... EGGGGSALAD!" He sold a LOT of sandwiches (they were pretty good as I recall)

2011 Jul 9
Terry, the Rose Room was a lot of fun, but IIRC they made screwdrivers with "Tang", right? When I first came to Ottawa I told my parents that I had gone there, and they said that when they came to Ottawa in the 50's, it was a very upscale nightclub, and that they had gone to an event there that was black tie and featured a performance by the Ink Spots.

2011 Jul 9
HFF - Cocina Latina & Cafe Wim were awesome little spots. That new Chilean place is not so good.

2011 Jul 9
Anyone remember the original Rosa's when it was on Somerset East near Ottawa U? As students we used to get great combos there for only a few bucks. Ditto Kamal's original bank st. location: we used to go and get falafel, lentil soup, hummus, baklava for 2 and a carafe of wine for under $20. Yes it was several decades ago.

2011 Jul 9
I remember Kamal's- they had moved to a place om Bank st beside Roots I think that is now a real estate office?
Their food used to be good.

Speaking of Middle Eastern food, I used to eat at Lebanese Palace in the Market mall (where the TV station is now), and they used to have a all you can eat buffet.
Food was ok, nothing really memorable- but for students and lunch if was fairly cheap.
Haveli used to be in the same building too , along with Polonus? polish restaurant.
I vaguely remember going there with one friend that was Polish and we would drink tons of Goldshlager....

I used to like Teriyaki plus that was at the corner of Bank and Slater- it is too bad they closed.
Their basic sushi rolls were really good- like Tempura shrimp roll, salmon skin rolls and their tempura was good and not greassy and very generous portions.
Also one of the few take-out places that would make a whole order of sweet potato tempura for me.
The place that is there now, they are not as good- the tempura is very oily and their vegetarian tempura last time I tried it was swimming in oil.
But I'm not surprized they changed ownership.
The guy who owned it seemed to be kind of tried of working there and I'm sure he wanted to do something different.
-I used to sometimes order sushi and study there at the same time, so did get to speak to the owner quite a bit!

2011 Jul 9
This is an interesting thread. When we lived in the Tunney's Pasture area, we would routinely go to the Upstairs Bistro that occupied the space where the Wellington Gastropub is now. I still miss that place.

2011 Jul 11
Someone help me out here... that hangar looking place in the Market that's now The Honest Lawyer was something else before, and before that it was something else else that did a mean weekend brunch with Boko bakery food... anyone remember the name... anyone? anyone???

2011 Jul 11
I could be mistaken but I think the Honest Lawyer's location used to be called "Grand Central".

Also regarding Middle Eastern restaurants, we used to really enjoy Fairouz on Somerset.

"Le Metro" in its original location where the Manx Pub is located is another one I remember.

"Salvatore's" on Booth St.

2011 Jul 11
In the late 80s, Cafe Deluxe on Dalhousie's Deluxe Burger - lamb with goat cheese oozing out the middle. First time I'd ever had a lamb burger which I now continue to make...

2011 Jul 11
@Inkling - That's it! My brain thanks you.

In other news Benitz Bistro and b/sides are now valid entries in this thread. Sad that.

2011 Jul 12
Really Benitz bistro and b/sides?
They were just selling coupons "groupons" to their restaurant a little while ago.
Too bad I did not get to try their food.

I vaguely remember Grand Central- I used to play pool there with my friends.
Think it used to be quite a university/college hang out back then.

2011 Jul 12
G'day ... long time lurker, first time poster ... there are many restaurants of yore that come to mind ...

- Baxter's on Bank Street. First place I ever went to meet up with friends for wings and beer

- Noddy's pub on Bank .. which later became the 5:15, which later became the Glebe Royal Oak. I don't remember much about Noddy's but the 5:15 was a pretty nice place, and from what I recall, the food was quite good

- Mitra's on Bank. In the old Kamal's location. Was a little takeout/eat-in joint which usually had excellent, varied cuisine, and Mitra was the coolest chef/owner in the area.

- GuadalaHarry's ... huge, extravagant Mexican place in the Market. Ei18teen is located there, now. They had a nice dance club = Harry's Hideaway that was pretty cool.

- Grand Central. Not a restaurant, per se, but a very nice dance bar in the market. Where Honest Lawyer is now.

- The entire O'Toole's chain. Decent food, cheap prices.

- The original Bank Street location of Vittoria Trattoria.

- Wringer's laundromat/pub. Excellent breakfast, and sandwiches. I did a *lot* of laundry there.

- Avenue Restaurant. Where the Corner Bar and Grill is on Bank, now. Nice little greasy spoon diner.

2011 Jul 12
I loved Wringer's! They had decent beer on tap. I was always happy to spend a few hours doing laundry, drinking beer and reading. Whatever happened to the other laundromats that followed the same pattern of casual pub/laundry? I think they all disappeared. It seems like the perfect concept to me.

2011 Jul 12
I remember with fondness the 'Steak et frits' (i may be misremembering the name) place in the market, under the Rainbow Room, was recently a lebanese place for a while and then went out of business.

Also in the Market, before it was Luxe there was a really good creperie the name of which also escapes me altho it may have been 'Creperie' :) .

And just to finish out my Market memories, before it was Cornerstone it was the original Great Canadian Bagel place and i miss it deeply.

2011 Jul 12
Osolo, I think that crepe restaurant was called simply the "Creperie", but what about Crepe de France? Especially when it was a tiny place on Rideau Street that always had a wood fire burning. Always so cozy and intimate and had many nice meals there.

2011 Jul 12
OSoloMeal OMG what a flashback! I also remember that steak frites place and even though I had been there many times I can't for the life of me remember the name - just the steak and frites-;)

That creperie was in fact called La Creperie and I spent many a Saturday night working my way through their menu.

Hmmm wasn't Cornerstone the Bagel Bagel before? It was the only place in Ottawa to get a decent bagel at the time. I too miss it.

2011 Jul 12
I moved to Ottawa in the late '80s so I am familiar with some of the restaurants mentioned. Many of them closed not long after my moving here and, sadly, I did not have a chance to try them (Café Wim comes to mind). I also remember a restaurant on Elgin called The Penguin because one of their staff (presumably) dressed up as a penguin and handed out flyers on Friday and Saturday nights. I also remember Party Palace on Elgin where McDonalds is located (the big sign sticking out of the wall is the original one) because apparently their breakfasts were legendary. I never did get the chance to try their breakfasts... I did have the chance to eat at a few places after my move here and before they closed: Kamal's, Maple Lawn, and The Connaught (upscale restaurant in the Lord Elgin). I also remember having lunch with my mom at the Green Valley restaurant. It was her favourite restaurant in Ottawa and some days I felt as if I was the only diner under the age of 60-;) I also have fond memories of Tratoria Zingaro under their original ownership and if memory serves me right Bruce Wood was the chef there at the time. I also recall a rather decent restaurant in the Macie's hotel on Carling - the name escapes me - but it is the only time I had ever had raclette. I believe it changed hands in the late '90s some time.

2011 Jul 12
Back in the 80's on the corner of Prince Of Whales and Meadowlands in the Carousel Farms parking lot there was a circular building called Spicy Luke's he made awesome fried chicken and roti's. He then moved to Alta Vista and Bank. How I miss his roti's. He also had a mean Jamaican patti. Come back Luke come back!

2011 Jul 12
@Ken V: Luke made the best patties I have ever had, bar none. His pastry wasn't flaky at all, more doughy -- probably just a basic suet crust -- but combined with his meat mixture it worked perfectly. Good amount of heat, too.

Is he still catering? He catered for some time after closing up shop on Alta Vista, I believe. Maybe he's retired. I would love to buy a sack of those patties again. I used to pick up 3-4 on my way home after a night out and bliss out on the sofa with a couple of beers. :(

2011 Jul 12
I have to agree; Kamal's, if only for the nostalgic value. I remember going there as a kid with my dad...

2011 Jul 12
Paganni's on Gladstone. Great little Italian spot. We miss it.
The original Rose Bowl Steakhouse on Carling with the cave like interior.

2011 Jul 13
I remember Wringer's I used to do my laundry there a lot when I was very young.
Food was quite good.

Baxter's I remember too- and I sort of know one of the owners or former owners.
But I haven't asked her what happened as that seems kind of weird.
I only see the lady when she is working (her husband ran the place).

I remember The Creperie too!! so long ago.

Remember Bagel Bagel also- and surprized I actually remember that.

I think I used to eat out wayyyy more in those years. Now I do not eat out as much, but have a lot more expenses.

2011 Jul 13
Going way back there was a place called The Rib Factory at the corner of Riverside and Bank. I remember visiting with my parents but do not remember the food.

2011 Jul 13
Mn memories of pubs past (i think thats a President's Choice sauce), i fondly recall the Dunvegan on Laurier. For a pub that served mostly students it had the most eclectic cast of regulars ever and totally good pub grub too.

2011 Jul 16
I have fond memories of Guadala Harry's in the market where 18 is now. It had multiple levels, a rounded staircase, and theme rooms. Burritos were good and my fav was the deep fried ice cream, so good!

I also remember excellent cafe au lait at Cafe Wim, fantastic spot for soup and sandwiches.

2011 Jul 16
And now, look at that! GuadalaHarry's is back on Dow's Lake where the Mexicali Rosa's used to be!

2011 Jul 16
Great topic! Going way back to the 80's... anybody remember The Bistro, on Wellington? The proprietors were Les Lucas and Sam Matta. We enjoyed some excellent meals there, but in 1990 or thereabouts, they abruptly closed up shop and sold the place to the owners of the Siam Kitchen. It became the Siam Bistro, which it remains today.

Here's the funny part: we hadn't seen or heard anything of Les and Sam in the intervening decades, and then, just two days ago, we spotted them outside the local Walmart loading their purchases into a car that had the vanity plate BISTRO. Wonder if they're still in the resto biz somewhere? Probably retired, though.

2011 Jul 16
The Green Valley was certainly one of the better spots to take the family to, especially if you were entertaining some elderly parents or the like. We still have some fond memories of the place, but our final experience there was not a happy one. This was in the days before smoking bylaws, and we were enjoying our meal when an old guy at a nearby table lit up a cigar, and completely ruined our dining experience. I spoke to the manager about it, but she refused to do anything. I vowed never to darken their doors again, and made good on that promise. Dining in Ottawa has improved immensely since those days, in more ways than one!

2011 Jul 18
Great topic! I feel so old ... across from Bagel Bagel on Clarence Street in the Market was Cafe Bohemian with their Mad Fried Chicken. As a child, our family favourite Chinese food restaurant was located on Rideau Street near Chapel, I think it was called the Chinese Village or something like that. We also loved the original Kamals on Bank Street at the corner of 3rd Ave.

2011 Jul 18
Flexie, thanks for prompting the memory of the Mad fried chicken at the Bohemian; I remember going there for many late night noshes before hitting the bars in Hull, so we are probably the same vintage.

2011 Jul 18
OMG!!!

I totally remember the Mad fried chicken- that was really good!
Or at least I thought so when I was a kid.

I also remember all the bars in Hull...used to hang out there w friends more than I would like to admit.
I remember Chez Henri, Au Zone or Ozone?,In Extremis?, La Boom....oh and Shalimars (or as my friends used to joke "Shali" or Sharrrrli).

I'm not that "old" though (34).

What kind of reminds me of the Mad fried chicken is the chicken Kara Age ap at Suisha Gardens.
Except theirs is bites of breaded chicken served with lemon wedges. (chicken could be a bit less fatty though). Still tasty and quite similar!

2011 Jul 19
I'm older than you Prettytasty, because I remember Viva and Sacs LOL. There used to be a 24 hr coffee shop in Hull called "Castel" I think. They had a coat rack, and when we were starving students we used to go there, leave our coats to avoid checkroom charges, and run coatless, even in January, between the clubs on Principale. At the end of the night we'd go back to Castel to pick up our coats and for french fries or toast and hot chocolate that our students' budgets would allow. There was always a wild cast of characters in Castel at 3 am, and one night we saw a drag queen bounce a nasty drunk's head off the lunch counter, sending a chunk of laminate flying into the air. For years afterward, I would look at the chipped counter and remember that incident. Is Castel still there? Is there still a big chunk missing from the countertop?

Anyway I guess this qualifies as a memory of great restaurant ambience of the past, not necessarily of a great restaurant.

2011 Jul 19
It seems this thread has got me thinking of Bars of the past. Does anyone remember the original Grad's, I think on Somerset near Bronson? They had a men's side, and a side for "Ladies with Escorts". I remember that it was one of the only places in town to get a plate of fried clam strips.

2011 Jul 19
Grad's, I think, was at the corner of Somerset and Spadina, near where it meets with Wellington.

Others that come to mind ... Zak's briefly had a second location in the Glebe, where Corner bar and grill is now.

Fida's and Calabria pizza on Sunnyside ... were the standard places to get pizza in Ye Ole Carleton Days.

The Rough Rider restaurant at the corner of Bank and Holmwood .. true bit of trivia .. there's a Pizza Pizza in that location now, with a distinctive 'PP' above the door. That was a holdover from the Rough Rider, which had a 'RR' above the door. The lower leg of both 'Rs' was removed, and, voila, the 'PP' was created.

St Hubert on Bank, where the Georgetown is now.

The Rusty Pelican, which became Rusty's, which is now Patty's Pub on Bank Street

For a while, there was a Kenny Rogers chicken take-out joint at Bank and Alta Vista, where Cora's is now.

There was a good Indian take-out place named 'Karma Karma' on Bank. I believe it's a Pho restaurant now.

The two titans of Somerset .. Yangtze and Fuliwah. Yangtze is still there .. I guess like the Highlander, there can be only one .. but Fuliwah is long gone.

Similarly, the Cathay buffet place at Bank and Riverside .. I believe it's a community health clinic now.

And the Pe-Nan Wok on Bank, near Sunnyside .. now the Vietnamese Kitchen.

The Celtic Cross pub .. originall on Bank (there's a Tim Horton's there now), then moved to Elgin (where St Louis Ribs currently is located), and then gone.

Lois and Frima's ice cream had a few locations around town .. one on Elgin (in the same plaza where the Lieutenant's Pub is located), and one on Bank, at Fifth. Now, only found in the Beavertail shack in the Market.

2011 Jul 19
Oo, the Celtic Cross! Loved the first incarnation of that pub, Bank between Cooper and Somerset, half of what is now Henry's photo. It was narrow and long, and having been to pubs in Ireland, was the real deal. Lots of regulars, and to spruce up Tuesday nights, had the best darn jam session in town - a dozen or more of the best musicians around town all the time, making for very spirited evenings. I think it changed owners, then they moved it to the corner where the Timmy's is now, renamed it the Tara Cross, it became fake, the musicians didn't last long (the owners felt they took away from the atmosphere.. buh?? they were the atmosphere!), while the "Celtic Cross" name moved to Elgin then was gone.

Amusingly, GoogleMaps still shows Cooper corner having Celtic Cross, with the popup showing Tara Cross...

That I had a great session jam in walking distance was wonderful and sadly missed. (Now at least I have the biweekly session at the Royal Oak at MacLaren. Not the same quality level though.)

2011 Jul 19
b/side closed?!?! What happened?

2011 Jul 19
I remember Kenny Roger's, ate there a few times. There was also an Arby's on Bank st.

I remember the St Huberts too!
I do miss the Licks on Bank st, it is now a car rental place :( their veggie burger was good- and with the SPC card was quite cheap for fast food.

Hope that Harvey's on Bank st comes back soon. It burned down during the winter..and there have been "coming soon" signs since then and it is all boarded up.

Cathay on Slater near bank is now Kirin Express buffet.
Too bad as I used to like the Cathay chicken fried rice and garlic spare ribs.
theirs were not too fatty compared to others.

There was also a fried chicken place, a chain I can not remember (Mary Brown's) on Walkley near st Laurent. They were always screwing up my orders and staff was so disorganized,I did not think they would last.
Now it is called Al Baba? fried chicken and fish and...ice cream and....

And whoever owns that they kept all the old Harvey's signs and just pasted over them.
The Harvey's burger and fries posters are still on the wall, and the same tables are there.
And apparently they serve fried chicken in buckets like kfc style, but with fries and a side of hummus and garlic sauce instead of gravy.
It is also much busier than when it was a Harvey's though,which is quite funny!

I was just on Carling ave tonight and noticed that the Malak pastry location is now closed. That one is beside the Roger's store..that is now closed too.
Their pastries were ok, but the Bank st location seemed a bit better and fresher.
Wasn't expecting to see their store closed, but next time I go to their other store I will try and find out about that....

2011 Jul 19
Thanks for the memories! Hadn't thought of the Mad fried chicken at the Bohemian for many, many years. We were also fairly frequent patrons of Bagel Bagel across the street. Daphne and Victor's was a bright light on an otherwise fairly dull resto scene for a while, until they imploded and disappeared.

Does anyone remember Willi's Wine Bar? It was somewhere in the vicinity of where Beckta is now. I remember going to a special dinner there, prepared by gourmet-about-town Peter Cochrane. Willi's didn't stay around very long, but it was fun while it lasted...

2011 Jul 20
I still have a dusty copy of the 1990 edition of Anne Hardy's Where to Eat in Canada, and I thought it might be of some interest to post the restaurant listings for Ottawa:

Bong Hong Red Rose (343B Booth St)
Le Cafe
Chahaya Malaysia (749 Bank St)
Grenville's (315 Somerset St W)
Mama Teresa
Opus Bistro (1331 Wellington St)
The Ritz (274 Elgin St)
Romano's (309 Richmond Rd)
Siam Bistro
The Sitar (417A Rideau St)
Le Soupcon (408 Rideau St)
Il Vagabondo (186 Barrette St)

And, on the Quebec side of the river:

L'Eau Vive (21 rue Jacques Cartier)
Les Belles Gourmandes (222 rue Laval)
Le Pied de Cochon (248 rue Montcalm)

2011 Jul 20
Ah yes, i remember the Ritz' on Elgin and in the Market. They were actually pretty good, if perhaps overpriced.

2011 Jul 20
bdm I do remember Willi's. Willi was a colourful character and had quite a following. IIRC she always had multiple bangle bracelets up one arm and huge star earrings. She was a lot of fun to hang out with, as she had tons of stories to share, like babysitting for Paul McCartney. Anyone know where she is these days?

2011 Jul 20
Yes I definitely remember the Ritz on Elgin. It was certainly a popular spot the food was quite good.

And speaking of bands I used to enjoy going to the Lockmaster Tavern on Bank at Somerset. I know, I know, it's a dump but their wings were good, they had an awesome roast beef lunch on Fridays (even though they wouldn't serve me medium rare beef) and they had some pretty good local bands playing on Friday and Saturday nights. I loved going to see 3 Guys and a Drummer (80s cover band) - they often played there - and I often wonder what happened to them.

2011 Jul 20
Willy is alive and well but no longer in the business. Very involved in animal welfare stuff.
Her location was on MacLaren between Banl and O'Commor.

2011 Aug 5
This brings back memories. Remember a restaurant (Napoli I believe) on Slack road. There was nothing much there back in late 1970's. There was also a chinese food restaurant just past the railway overpass on Merivale right next to the tracks. It is now a mall with Kelsey's in it. Also remember Sunken Dory, Sargents Pub and Pendragon pub on Merivale. The Pen was a real dive. Star of India was another good one on Merivale and probably the longest lasting restaurant at that location.

2011 Aug 5
I remember Napoli's- there food was decent.
They actually used to deliver breakfast also.
-I actually had to do that a bunch of times when I was younger and my parents did not want to make any food for my sister and I.
Pizza was decent too.

Used to go to Star of Indian often,it was quite an old restaurant. Had to go downstairs to use the washrooms,I remember.
I think that place is now Malabar clothing and dance shop?

Too bad Briskets is no longer there on Merivale- they had really good fresh breaded zuchinni and breaded mushrooms freshly made- not the soggy frozen stuff all the other places serve.
They had a smoked meat soup that was very good too- nothing too exiting,but it was like a stew w smoked meat pieces,potato,carrots and onions? maybe- it was a very hearty meal.
I would get that a lot in the winter when I had to wait 30+ minutes for a bus in freezing weather,I walk over get a soup and wait less outside.

2011 Aug 9
I worked at the Ritz on Clarence and remember with great fondness their awesome rolls and their desserts all made in the basement.
Going back even further there was a place called Papa Joes on River Road in Vanier, located in an apartment building. I think it was a buffet place, but it was memorable to me as the first place that served me a beer...I was 14 at the time!
The Eurostar on Elgin owned by the two Lebanese ladies...the lady who was there most of the time was Joanie which was short for Joan of Arc. What a surreal place that was!
I was a member of the Guad Squad at GuadalaHarry's when it was at 18 York Street. What a wild place to work!!

2011 Aug 11
I think Joanie and here sister live on my friends street- he told me that they tried to invite him over for lunch a little while ago :)

My friends mother also ran in one of the city elections years ago- she did not win,but she had her volonteer thank you party at Eurostar! (really...).

Eurostar had quite the characters, and the menu with the 70's drink was fun, and the pitchers of bar shots ;) (used to split them w friends...i do not drink that much...)

Speaking of bars on Elgin, I remember Griffins? the places is stiff there,but under another name- it used to be a restaurant and club in one.

2011 Aug 11
Not a great restaurant, but it had a brief less than shining moment in the 70's. After Saturday night fever, it seemed that a lot of bars and restaurants in Ottawa tried to convert to "Disco". There was a little coffee shop on the north side of Carling near Holland that was in a medical building. typical lunch counter with vinyl booths along one side. Suddenly it became "Snifters Disco Lounge". They took out two booths and put in a jukebox and some christmas lights and called it a disco. They put brandy snifters half filled with colored water all over the place to remind you of the name. But the best part was they kept the longtime hash-slinging waitresses, but took them out of their aproned uniforms and made them wear black hot pants and black boob tubes with iron on letters that spelled out "snifters" across their chests. They did not look happy to be there, and the place was really ridiculous. I think it lasted only a few months, maybe even just weeks.

2011 Aug 11
Awww the Disco era, man that was fun...I worked @ Peter's & we were all kids with more money than we knew what to do with but we managed to find a way to spend it!!!

The old Hull Strip with Le Bote, Disco Viva, Tabaco's, Best Bar (Crystals), Nouvelle pouque (?) etc etc, in Ottawa there was Revoultions (Embassy West), Sly Fox & Studleys (both were in what is now the Church of Scientology on Carling), downtown Houlihans, Stoney Mondays, Brandy's, Shannon's (Shannon Tweeds bar in the old 4 seasons) the Quadrille just to name a few...

2011 Aug 11
Terry, I think Grace Jones was the opening act for Revolutions right? Huge news at the time. Loved Sacs in Hull as well as the ones you mentioned. And there was that club hostess fixture "Mimi" who had Le Ruisseau and Le Charlot. She was a trip. Hull could always be relied on for a good time. How did I ever go there 4 or 5 nights a week till closing and manage to be at school or work the next day?

2011 Aug 12
The first restaurant I used to go to all the time with my friends when I was young (80's/90's) was Malibu Jacks (where Empire Grill is now).
We loved it because you got free pop re-fills in those tall red plastic glasses, the decor was totally crazy and the atmosphere was great because it was usually just filled with other teenagers on the weekends.

The two clubs in Hull that I used to go to were Zinc (had to go downstairs) and 747 (had to go upstairs) - this was in the 90's - miss those clubs!

Also I first fell in love with Thai food when an older boyfriend took me for Thai at a place on Rideau street (south side of the street, not too far down past Dalhousie) - this would be around 1988 - but I have no clue what it was called. I remember we got a little grill and had to cook our own meat so maybe it was a Thai/Korean restaurant?

2011 Aug 12
Blubarry, I remember the headline with Grace Jones!!!LOL

2011 Sep 16
Does anyone remember Kardish downtown location in late 70's, it was located on Queen St. across from the newly opened C.D. Howe Bldg. which housed federal government departments. My boss turned me onto this place, they had 'dry cured' smoked meat that was too die for, you could have either on a kaiser or the classic rye. Their fries also were to die for, crisp on the outside and sweet and soft on the inside. Butter tarts too were xcellent. The cooks and staff's memory was great, they always remembered exactly how you liked your order. The cooks were extremely fast, you didn't spend your lunch hour in line. They later added a sit down section. I moved to Montreal in the mid 80's and when I came back in the 90's sadly found it was no longer there. I got excited last year when I heard of the new smoked meat kid in town opening in the west end, Grand Central New York, announcing there's was a dry smoked meat vs the wet smoked meat Ottawa usually had with Nate's and I visited with my son from Montreal where we had both lived for 15 years and were in love with 'wet cured' style. I had high expectations having had my bar set high with Kardish, we enjoyed it as a comparison to the normal 'wet' style, but for my tastebuds it wasn't as good as I remembered Kardish in the 70's. I tell you I was chomping at the bit that day, my mouth watering waiting for the first bite of my smoked meat sandwich to arrive and left disappointed. Alas, I would like to know what happened to this family deli and were they the same Kardish that opened in the Hintonburg area late 80's? And is it the same family who now runs Karidsh Bulk Food on Bank?

2011 Sep 28
In the 70's and 80's I fondly remember Kardish's Deli at the intersection where Somerset W meets Wellington W. They had a deli counter at the front and a restaurant at the back...were noted for their smoked meat sandos but my favorite was the roast beef. The french fries were the best I have ever had and the sandwich came on Rideau Bakery rye with a Strubbs dill pickle, both still personal favorites. This was a kosher restaurant and always closed on the Sabbath. If anybody knows a place that can match Kardish's roast beef sandwich and french fries please give up the info.

2011 Oct 2
great topic and great flashbacks.
i remember Zibbibo's - those guys could cook up some great Italian foods.
i remember the hey day of cafe wim (early 80s) and yes there was a lot of chess being played and a lot of drinks.
club zinc - my youth would've been quite dull without this "escape".
kardish' - the last decent plate of smoked meat we ever had. now i only eat it in montreal.
the original fettucine's on bank i enjoyed.
cafe bohemian (byward market - used to be across what was then called bagel/bagel) - they did something awesome to their fries.
the lockmaster tavern - when they closed there was a void of wings and meatsicles in this town.
the original chateau lafayette was always a fun time on the weekend.
Imperial Pizza - i miss getting sassed by Momma and their greasy slices.

this was fun. food memories are good memories to hold onto.

maj.

2011 Oct 3
Joe K - Kardish on Somerset Street and Wellington West was the best! We used to go a lot with our family. My sister and I were quite young back then, we loved the pickles and used to drink the pickle juice! I seem to remember a server named Nancy that we really liked!

2011 Oct 3

Joe K - My family and I *still* miss the Kardish deli! One of the things we all miss most is the lack of corned beef (my theory is that this is because of the inherent Montreal bias in remaining Ottawa delis - corned beef seems to be a western thing whereas Montreal seems to go in more for the smoked meat, and New York for the pastrami).

2011 Oct 4
Oh! I remember Crystal's bar in Hull- went there when I was in high school or shortly after.
It had kind of turned into a rock/biker bar or there were some "biker" looking people there.
Seemed to be a very smoky bar I recall.

Also anyone else remember Chez Henri bar, it was on the same strip.
It was a bar that had a hotel attached to it. So you could go dance there, then instead of driving home, rent a hotel room.

I never did get a look at the hotel rooms,but one of my sister's friends did stay there a few times. I can't imagine them being very clean??

For smoked meat I think Bank st Sausage they probably make some.
I only buy smoked chicken there though, and bacon, and pepperetz sticks (with are very good dry pepperoni made in store).

2011 Oct 4
Speaking of bar's in Hull... does anyone remember one called Gilley's? Got dragged there once (underage of course) and I just remember it being a hole but I had a great time anyway. I'm curious what has taken it's place. Can't imagine it still exists.

Also on the salacious front, does anyone remember where the strip club Valentino's used to be located? I think it was on Somerset but I can't remember where. Never went in (I swear) but it was such a visible presence on the street. They served a hip of beef so I think it counts as a restaurant. ;)

2011 Oct 5
Nope, I'm too "young" to remember those places.
One of my friends in high school- well this girl I grew up with she worked at the stip club or "exotic dance club" that was on Bank st- I can't remember the name, but it was near Barrymore's.
My friend was something like 17 or 18 when she worked there.
-no idea what she does now as she is no longer in Ottawa...

2011 Oct 5
Prettytasty - do you mean Pandora's Box? they had the coolest burlesque type paintings on the walls. It's now Barrymore's. Fond memories of the cheesy-ness of that place when I was in school. I remember seeing a woman come out on stage. She looked so bored as she was supposed to be driving us wild with lust, and all I could notice were the bandaids on her legs where she had cut herself shaving. sexy.

2011 Oct 5
Barbarellas was formerly located on that section of Bank but they are now located in the same building as the Glue Pot Pub. (Not sure if this is the establishment Prettytastyreviews is thinking of.) When I first moved to Ottawa I was living in an apartment on Frank Street and I worked in Place de Ville. I would walk up Bank to get to work then home. On my way home I would often see the "exotic dancers" standing outside having their smoke break and getting lots of glances from the male passers-by-;) I worked briefly near the Glue Pot Pub a few years later when Barbarellas moved to the neighbourhood and one of my coworkers used to go there for lunch. He "said" he was just there to eat-;)

2012 Apr 21
Does anyone remember a place called "Noddies"? It was in the Glebe, if I recall...

2012 Apr 22
It's like old folks sitting round the table playing...I remember when...!
Yes to all the aforementioned places plus a few long gone favorites: like having lunch and being served the best smoked meat by Nancy at the original Kardishs on Wellington and Somerset, TidBitz on Nepean St., the Hayloft (Ottawa's original cool steakhouse, Tete a tete on Wellington, The Creperie on Rideau, seeing George at Dyonasis on Greenbank, or Paul who always remembered your name at The Rose Bowl on Carling, breakfast after Hull at Tony's in the market, etc etc....
The problem today is the masses are led like sheep by slick advertising and chains that all feature the cardboard tasting food that comes frozen and pre-prepared, YUCK! Joe and Josie public by and large don't trust new Mom and Pop original establishments, and won't even try them, unlike Montreal and Toronto where they are welcomed. Must be all the silly servant mentality.....safe is good! Grrrr...

2012 Apr 22
I have long lamented the loss of Kardish's Deli as they had the best smoked meat in all of Canada if not all of the world. Montreal be damned, I've never had anything to compare with K's. With Rideau bakery rye, a Strub's, fries and a tall cold one (when I was old enough) served by Nancy you had a smoked meat sammy worthy of the gods and us humans. And on the way out pick up a Florentine from Izzy behind the deli counter.

2012 Apr 22
And then there's my old favourite fast food resto of the 60's/70's - Harvey's on Richmond Road with their great burgers & fries, old-fashioned double fried fries made with hand cut taters, killer!

2012 Apr 22
I'd like to know more about Kardish's smoked meat. Why was it so good? Authentic? Does someone somewhere hold the key to solving Ottawa's smoked meat woes?

2012 Apr 22
The best smoked meat, somewhat close to Kardish, I've found is in Bell's corners at the Butchery at the end of the first mall on the right. And a bargain at around 5 bucks! I think it's levitts from Montreal, a dry cure. the owner's wife runs the Vera's burgers in the same space, good but expensive.
Always packed at lunch, so go before or after. Cheers.

2012 Apr 26
Missing Merlot and the view of the city while enjoying great food.

2012 May 1
Love the thread but now I need help. Does anyone remember the name of a restaurant in Chelsea, operated out of the owners' home? It was a Malaysian place but with other influences including Scottish, owing to the heritage of the couple. I even had haggis there one year...best I ever had.

2012 May 1
My go-to nice restaurant for a long time while in school was the Eclectic Noodle in Sandy Hill. Anyone remember this place?

My go-to take-out when going to Carleton was Pe-Nan Wok.

2012 May 2
Nosher66 when did you eat there? I asked my sis who's lived near old Chelsea about 30 years and she had no idea - that surprised me as she has long and often dined out.

2012 May 2
Andy, it has been at least 10 years now. I don't recall the exact location but now that I think of it, it might have been Val-des-Monts off the 366, not Chelsea.

2012 May 2
That makes some sense, Nosher. Unfortunately I have way more experience driving 366 Ouest but little to the Est of Wakefield.

2012 May 2
@AD_2 Yes, I remember the Eclectic Noodle. That was a great little place.

2012 May 4
Anyone remember South Side Diner or Dimes? I remember South Side had gross milkshakes. Dimes I had an apple pie slice with seeds the size of watermelon seeds. I can't remember where it was. I thought it was Bank St centertown but I could be wrong.

2012 Dec 16
What about Rockwells in the Merivale Mall?

The Saucy Noodle on Somerset

Longneckers Bank near Albion Road.

The Mad Cow which is now Quinn's Bank and Sunnyside

Ricks Place which became Cheeks same area.

2012 Dec 17

optimisticspark
What about Rockwells in the Merivale Mall?

It's still there. Probably one of the longest running places around.

2012 Dec 17
And it's great restaurants. Rockwells is lousy

2012 Dec 17
AD_2 - Pen-Nan just changed the name and tidied up. Most of the menu is the same.

My brand of nostalgia isn't that ancient... but i recall suffering many a bad $.05 smoked meat sandwich at 2am at Nickels in the market.

2012 Dec 18
I can't believe that I never mentioned Rob's Sunken Dory, horseshoe bar, great atmosphere...

The Dill Pickle was always a fun spot to drop in as well...

You know Bacon, Rockwells may not be Haut cuisine but you get what you expect, they have a very good breakfast & considering how long they've managed to stay in business they must be doing something right...

2012 Dec 18
I agree with Terry about Rockwells. I had a perfectly satisfactory breakfast there not long ago with good service.

2012 Dec 19
My friends and I called The Sunken Dory, The Broken Boat.

Had a few woozy happy hours in there after cashing pay cheque at the Bank of Nova found at the end of the same strip mall. Mid eighties.

The strip mall has (had ?) A funny name. Something-'View' ?

2012 Dec 19
Nosher66, Might you be thinking of Cafe Joompa in Val-des-Monts? it was indeed a gem of a place. Run by the husband and wife team of Alison Scott and Ebenezer George. "Malaysian-Canadian fusion" cuisine, they called it. Worked like a charm...

2012 Dec 23

Hmm i think a restaurant that i miss would have to be the green valley. it was one of those hidden gems, not many appreciated until you've been tried it. i remember going here as a kid with my grandmother and enjoying the amazing prime rib for mothers day. it brings back fond memories of her. actually can't believe they actually made scratch made food such as sandwiches, and i think was the only place that actually had a pretty decent chantilly (SP).

2012 Dec 24
Click here ---> ottawafoodies.com

2012 Dec 24
Bong Hong Red Rose on Booth St - absolutely amazing food, some of the most unique renditions of favorites. And a hilarious atmosphere, between the pink decor, the basement-and-obviously-so, and karaoke "stage" in the corner. So many giggles amidst heavenly bites. Tofu dipping sauce in particular was a standout.

Camel Humps anyone? This was long before Kamals (which itself was also briefly called something different when it first opened). The Glebe used to be a mecca for "foodies", long before anyone coined the term. There were lots of leftover hippy-types (or so I thought of them back then!) starting up small cafes, and it was the hip street in Ottawa so got lots of eager young folks ready to try the unusual fare.

Europa - off Elgin, going east, don't remember which hotel but it was the main floor resto. Had some fantastic family meals there with old-time European service that was unheard of elsewhere. Silent and efficient, everything at your fingertips, almost before you realized you wanted anything. I loved that place for special meals.

Khyber Pass - amazing meat-filled pasta, with cool yogurt and very spicy meat sauce. A student favorite of mine, with a long cold pint of some exotic beer I've since forgotten.

Pe-Nan Wok - very average food overall but had a couple of truly standout items. Delicious garlic chicken and cashews comes to mind but there were a couple of others that were the "same" and yet heads-above other similar dishes found elsewhere in Chinatown. I had moved here from Vancouver and so knew great Chinese food when I had it....yum yum! Missed that dish so much when they finally changed owners and the restaurant maintained their name, and the dish apparently stayed the "same" but became truly the same as everywhere else.

I laugh when people complain (or used to) about the lack of good food in Ottawa. Sure it was not plentiful, and you often had to find the hidden gem in the menu, but if you got to know the owners and were interested in food, wow!!! I had many fantastic dishes in the 70s, 80s and 90s during Ottawa's "bad" food years that I still reminisce about fondly, and would still eat today if those dishes were still offered.

Thanks for the great memories in this thread - some of meals other people have listed above I too enjoyed in their day, as well as the wonderful atmosphere of those joints. I used to play in clubs mentioned and often those kitchens too had a great meal that staff and regulars knew, such as a phenom burger or killer fries.

And sometimes it was not at all the restaurant itself or the owner but the chef that made it memorable for a period of time, usually short...:-( I remember one lousy Ottawa U-area pub that had the typical (bad) pub food and tons of noisy students that kept the bar hopping. And yet, one day I had perhaps the best ever plate for under $20 in my life. Absolutely comparable to over $100 (or much more $$$$$$) plates I've had. The server told me chef was thrilled someone other than the staff and regulars that knew about this well-kept secret had ordered his meal. Of course I had to ask about his background so went back and had quite a chat with the young guy. Turns out he accepted the crappy bar cook job and after a while he was desperate and asked the owner if he would let him do one special a day. Wow!!!!! Amazing food. True story and I wish I could track him down to see what he does in a real restaurant. More power to him.

2012 Dec 31
I came to Ottawa in 1972,went to UO and stayed. I have eaten in a lot of restaurants, too many to mention here but there are a few that I would like to mention. The DEL RIO which was on Rideau served great pizza and, my favourite, baked rigatoni. Farther west on Rideau, close to Col. By Drive, was the DEL MAR. I am sure they had lots of great food on the menu but I ate chili and toast everytime I visited. HUM'S chinese, at the corner of King Edward and Somerset East served a great plate, an egg roll, chicken fried rice and sweet and sour chicken balls for $1.99. After university I lived an worked in the Sandy Hill area and spent a lot of time at NATE'S deli. Great smoked meat sandwiches, but their breakfast, bacon-eggs-toast and coffee, for $0.75 was a real treat. I spent many afternoons at the HAYLOFT on Rideau back in the day when they offered buckets of peanuts in the shell with their beer.

Well that's it for now, if I remember more of my favs I will add them later.

Cheers

2013 Jul 3
Lost Ottawa Warning: time sucker but so good.
Photos of Ottawa and there are quite a few restaurants of the past in there...
The Greenery
Cathay House
Samuel de Champlain Dining Lounge on Bate Island. (I remember going there as a kid with my father when it was Alexander's on the Island - and way past its prime - and having a massive caesar salad prepared beside our table.)

Love this photo of the Crock & Block Restaurant & Tavern interior. My parents went there. I never knew it was so...decorated. :)
Look at all the reading and bread (!) available as you await your meat and potatoes.

www.facebook.com/LostOttawa

2013 Jul 4
Hi Everyone!

I'm kinda new to this forum... Been reading it for years and haven't made any posts yet. So here goes.

Chez Jean-Pierre on Somerset brings back one of my fondest memories of food. I had my first steak tartare there and boy was it an experience for me. Who would have known back then that tartares would become so popular now.

The original Mee Fung on Somerset had some of the best Vietnamese food in my opinion. It used to be where the former Fuschian was. After the owners opened New Mee Fung on Booth, the food was still great. But they decided to sell their business a few years ago and I haven't been there since.

2013 Jul 4
My post from 2008 about my experience with El Toro's in 1984.

bit.ly/pESW1m

2013 Aug 15
I am copying out an 1983 diary and coming across a few places not yet mentioned:
Alilang's a Korean restaurant on Elgin located, I believe, where Town is now location (corrections gratefully accepted)
The Mongolian Hot Pot (this was pretty innovative in Ottawa in the early 1980's--it was also located on Elgin Street but it did not last a long time--I am not sure if it was called The Mongolian Hot Pot or that was just its description)
Willi's Wine Bar above Daphne and Victor's -- a great place--use to order kirs there and brought in a bottle of moutai once (acquired in China) that almost took the varnish off the bar. Glad to hear Willi is alive and well.

2013 Aug 16
I loved the Alilang, especially their mandu tukum.

2013 Aug 16
For me, it is the only defunct restaurant on our top ten list. RIP Sweetgrass, you were amazing, and the first real good restaurant I ate at in Ottawa. Right when I was growing old enough to properly appreciate food.

2014 Jan 12
I am a virgin here and the first thing that caught my eye was this post, wow what memories.

oSoloMeal I was the Sunday Brunch Chef at The Marble Works in the 80's. If you were going when I was there then you would remember the bread table full of fancy loaves in different shapes like crocodiles, swans etc, that was me.

I was also a Waiter at the french restaurant Le Jardin for a while in the 90's. To bad the Owner's brother went cocoa for cocoa-puffs and therefore got shut down. Alot of the younger staff did not like him but I thought he was cool.

My all time fave has to be Trattoria Caffe Italia on Preston at Gladstone. I was a regular there for 20 years and got to know Dominique and Mario well. Best Cappuccino anywhere even to this day. I asked Dom once what beans he used and he said it was a secret, they were imported into Montreal and shipped to him privately. Sadly when they renowed a few years back the food and service went down hill some. I had my second wedding reception there and it was disappointing. I asked Dom what happened and he told me they lost their long time Chef and a few of their mature servers all in a few months. I kept going three or four times a year after that mostly out of nostalgia but it never recovered so now I don't go anymore.

This seems to be the norm of restaurants, move or renovate and they lose their luster. Mama Terresa's was great until they moved to Somerset St. The Place Next Door on Rideau as well as Al's on Elgin St went downhill after their respective renovations. The Mayflower on Elgin was a great diner until they opened the second location on Laurier.

Now anyone with money can open a restaurant these days and serve pre-frozen microwaved sauce in a bag food (Moxie's to name one of many)and the sheep just keep coming back and call it great. I just don't get it. People have lost their pallets to the likes of Starbucks Coffee (they burn their beans to ensure consistency with flavor as they use a blend of beans), Tim's Soup and Sandwiches and run your fingers through Trip and be shocked at the likes of Harvey's making it to the top ten list out of 100+.

FYI; Useless Fact Number 1 - None butchers meat anymore like in the old days. When I worked at Pepper's Food Fair and Deli on Elgin back in the 80's we used to get half a cow and butcher the meat to sell through the counter as well as Pepper's Restaurant and Tangerine's Restaurant. Now the so-called Butchers get it the way you see it at Costco.

Useless Fact Number 2 - MacDonalds (I refuse to eat here) does not recycle at all. It is a publicity stunt. I can say for certain on this for at least half the franchises in Ottawa. So the next time you are separating the plastic from the paper from the garbage food, don't bother, it all goes in the same single bin in the back. Why do you think they have the garbage bin inside fort knox, not because you might dump your garbage in their bin, Waste Management gives you a lock for that?

Useless Fact Number 3 - I am still in the bizz and I can tell you that 75% of all restaurants in Ottawa, east, west, south, north and even Arnprior, Almont, Carleton Place all cook from frozen pre-made products.

In my opinion the best food I have ever eaten in my whole life has to be at home when I cook it.

Peace Out!

2014 Jan 26

Useless fact #4 .....All restaurant and stores get their shrimp in frozen.
The grocery store "fresh fish counter" they just defrost the shrimp and put it in a bowl.

The frozen is fresher and cheaper usually.

I worked for 6 months as a prep cook at a seafood restaurant that just closed and a lot of the seafood came in frozen, the Calamari, shrimp and aligator used for the nuggets. (this was a southern place also).

2014 Jan 26

Cathay is still around but only has a take out and delivery place at woodroffe and meadowlands in nepean.

For "old" restaurants that are still around I like Romeos pizza and donair in Nepean (in the plaza at merivale/meadowlands where the kardish store is).
They have been there at least 30 years...

Also another old place in the Glebe was called Glebe Cafe has been called JERICHO for quite a while now and it is the same owner and menu.
Now they no longer serve breakfast and their breakfast used to be really good eggs and potatoes...

-the middle eastern food is still the same and good.

2014 Jan 27
Who says nostalgia ain't what it used to be?

Peter's Pantry and El Toro's were meccas for underage drinking in the day, the fact they served food was a bonus, as long as those pitchers kept coming....

Then to Hull, where a left at the bridge took you to The Chaud or The British for some semi-adventures (remember Gerry Barber??) or a right took you to Chez Henri, The Globe, Nouvelle Epoque, or if you're really old, Disco Viva!

And back to Bagel Bagel in the market for 24 hours of, well, bagels.

Kardish's did have amazing smoked meat, save you a trip to Schwartz's. Willi's was the coolest spot to hang, also Le Metro on Somerset. Brunch? Why, The Greenery on Carling, natch. Mamma Theresa was revolutionary when on Kent St, first in the city with deep fried zucchini.

Does anyone remember The Cheese Shop? Used to be in Bayshore, Billings Bridge, and on Bank St. Amazing selection of cheese, coffee beans, etc. Was miles ahead of its time...

2014 Jan 27
Cti if you're even older a right also took you to the old Standish Hall or the Ottawa House, an old fave of mine for both the music 'n beer. I have pics of my Ma at the Standish! None of me afaik.
Wasn't Le Metro on Elgin or was that a diff. Place altogether?
I agree re Kardish Deli. We used to get delivery from there as we lived next door to the Kardish's. They sold soon after Izzy was shot in a holdup at home. Very sad...on different levels.

2014 Jan 27
Le Metro did start out on Elgin St. in the spot where the Manx is today. It later moved to Somerset where it was up until the time it closed.

Also remember Mama Theresa's on Kent St. - it was one of the first restaurants in Ottawa that I went to with my parents when we moved to Ottawa.

2014 Jan 30
Check the ice, I remember all those places. The Chaud where underage drinkers quenched their thirst with Tang screwdrivers. And Disco Viva which was once no. 4 on Playboy's list of top ten discotheques in the world in the 70s. Also remember Le Charlot and Le Ruisseau with their transgender hostess who used to stop the music, commandeer a microphone and scold the male patrons for leaving the toilet seats up.

2014 Jan 30
Don't forget the Glenlea.

2014 Feb 2
...while we're on the subject of defunct drinking establishments, I remember seeing some seminal Canadian bands at The Black Swan, like a very early Rough Trade and Goddo.

Did anyone go to the Atlantic Pavilion for what passed as fresh seafood in 1978 Ottawa?

CTI

2014 Feb 3
I think the Atlantic Pavillion was patronized exclusively by downtown hotel guests who saw the flyer in their rooms. I was one of them when we visited in 1975.

2014 Feb 3
Was the Atlantic Pavilion near Prospero Books at Slater and Bank St? I never went to the restaurant but I spent a lot of time at the book store when I was young and I seem to remember a seafood restaurant there.

Around the same area, does anyone remember a restaurant called "Chantilly" or something similar to that back in the mid-1990's? I remember my wife and I went there and it was pretty high-end and quite expensive - it seemed to be targeting the same tier as Cafe Henry Burger or Le Jardin back then. We had a very good meal but I recall being kind of shocked at the price. The restaurant didn't last too long from what I remember. I don't think the quality of food was the issue but it might have needed the expense account crowd.

2014 Feb 19
Had a moment of fond nostalgia for Fairrouz on Somerset this past weekend, longing for something Lebanese that isn't shawarma counter fare.

2014 Feb 19
Talking with my hairdresser today, we started reminiscing about Kardish's. It was next to the Neighbourhood Services and wood flooring guys building on Wellington. Well, the NHS building is going to be converted into a new LCBO for the area and I don't know if it will be torn down or renovated.

Anyway ... Kardish's. Miss it.

2014 Feb 23
Wow in 1978 I was not even 2 years old....LOL (or hahahah).

For Lebanese try Cedar's grocery store. They have some different lebanese salads and dandelion salad, "mama ghanouj" which I was told by many arab cab drivers it is a made up name...
-it is a "salad" made with roast eggplant, vinegar,garlic, chopped onion- they add some red pepper pieces too.
(I can make this dish and my grandmother made this but without onion or red peppers...but pretty much the same taste).

Dandelion salad is good, hummus with mint is different, red pepper hummus is good too.

They have some cheese and also meat filled pastry Sambusa? it looks like a perogy but is fried dough on the outside. I've only had the cheese ones.

They do have shawarma, but I usually get the pita w fried vegetables in it instead.
Most of the hummus and middle eastern salads I have not seen at other middle eastern stores. I went to the large one on St Laurent and the food counter there was not as varied or good.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is Cedars baklava and pastries, they do not make them there. price is ok, but Malak pastry is right across the street- so go there instead. Malak is kind of expensive, but really really good!

their address is at 1255 Bank st and open 9am-10pm mon to sun.

Also I got this flyer in my mailbox that they also had under the newspaper stand when you go in Cedars (Ottawa's Best Supersaver) where you get $3 off $30 in groceries or $5 off $50. the coupon i have here says Valid till Mar 10, 2014

and I usually get a couple every month...

--------------------------------
Now for restaurant food I miss, I used to really like Briskets fresh breaded zuchinni and breaded mushrooms.

Where can I get FRESH not frozen breaded zuchinni and mushrooms.

I know I can make my own and those are quite good and I do have zuchinni in the fridge right now...

2014 Feb 24
The zucchini sticks at La Roma on Preston are thin, fresh, made to order things of beauty and happiness.

Mushrooms... that's a tough one...

2014 Mar 1
Thanks, will try La Roma!

Red Lobster used to have fresh breaded zuchinni,but hasn't had that for a couple years now.
The only thing I'd go to Red Lobster for was stuffed mushrooms, Zuchinni and the biscuits...

now I just get family to pick up some biscuits for me and freeze them.

Guess I'll go back to making my own breaded mushrooms.

---------------
Speaking of Jericho restaurant I ate there a few days ago...have not had food there since fall at least.
Now they have a sign on the window saying they have weekend brunch till 2pm.
I think it is mostly eggs and potatoes.

Also just remembered, I used to really like the Suisha Gardens Japanese store and lunch take out.
The hot lunch specials were always tasty and affordable and you could get actual Japanese snacks and cooking ingredients...but the packaged items and fresh stuff they got from Japan was quite expensive.