New location of Maison Chaloin downtown [General]

2011 Jun 29
Be still my beating heart!! Finally opening up a location in Ottawa and giving French Baker a serious run for its money when it comes to pastry, this exquisite little patisserie/chocolaterie is opening on Dalhousie Street this Saturday, across from the new Murray's Market.

I spoke to them today and they said the Ottawa location will not feature any lunch options (a pity as their duck, brie and fig crepe is out of this world) but they will offer all the usual cakes, pastries, chocolates and ice creams. Byward Market is slowly but surely becoming more and more of a foodies destination and I'm loving it!!

2011 Jun 29
That's great news. I'll have to check it out.

The market is a great place to work, though it can be distracting sometimes, especially during the summer. :-)

There are a number of high tech companies in the market as well.

2011 Jul 4
I don't think I've heard of this place before.
I'll have to try and get downtown when the bank st bus service is better.

Seems to be a lot of bakeries and gelato shops opening thesedays!

2011 Jul 6
Why have I not been there yet!! Still too busy... :( :(

Considering I'm the one who made the Maison Chalouin entry here, it's a shame I can't be there more often. It's long to get to (and especially come back from) their main store by bus; a Market address is definitely feasible.

Last I remember, their caramel ice cream was... was... *starts drooling at the memory*

2011 Jul 6
Niall You will be pleased to hear the Byward Market location sells the carmel ice cream by the cone and by the container. I popped in last Sunday just to check out their new digs. I have not purchased anything yet but their chocolates and ice cream selection look awesome. Their pastries look good too but they only have a very tiny selection of them. I am a little mystified by the set up though. The front of the store is very spacious and they have half a dozen tables set up with white linen table cloths and cutlery but no signs of serving meals. (I didn't see any menus posted or anything encouraging people to stay and eat...) When I get back from Toronto next week though I plan on making a beeline there-;) Murray Street Market across the street also has some awesome food and well worth the trip if you are in the 'hood.

2011 Jul 20
So. FINALLY stopped there yesterday - I got confused because I misremembered it as "across Murray Street restaurant", not Market. So it's on Dalhousie nearer St-Patrick than Murray, next to the electric scooter store on the north side, right in front of the 1/9 OC Transpo stop towards Rideau. (From Rideau, get out of the 1 after it turns on Murray.)

Pasta lover, the tables at the front now have menus on them - crêpes seeming to be the specialty, by themselves (around $6) or as part of a brekfast meal ($9 or $12), or in a "gourmand" (not gourmet) option that wasn't clear what it meant.

There's definitely only a part of the selection from the Hull store, but nonetheless, the pastries are fine ($4.35 each), I had the Dôme with european raspberries, mmmm, delicious. And the caramel ice cream in a container which I brought home - as good as I remembered, though not a lot of the caramel sauce - I'll have to drop by and buy a jar to pour on it. All ice creams (actually "glaces", but there has to be cream in it!) and fruit sorbets are mentioned to be made with organic red cane sugar.

Also, 21 hand-made chocolate varieties, about half of the Hull store, but still quite respectful. And for once, I'm really glad they're all at the back of the store so that the sunlight doesn't get them to melt or denature! They also have macarons, so it could be a fun idea to buy theirs and the Boulanger Français' nearby to compare.

2011 Jul 21
Niall Thanks for the heads up. At the time of my last comment I believe the store had just opened and there were no menus out at the time. I popped in last Sunday late afternoon and noticed them. The crepe menu sounds intriguing so I may head over for brunch some time. My plans for taking home a container of caramel ice cream got derailed since I had a few stops to make and was worried about it melting. I really should plan better-;)

2011 Jul 21
Buy a little lunch cooler for the ice cream, or else shoppers has a very good zippered cooler bag that costs around $3 I use for all my groceries in the summer- or else my vegetables seem to "steam" in this weather.
I also have the MM meatshop cooler bag and that one is better as the handles can go over your shoulder like a tote...but the zipper has a small gap in it which is not as good.

or the ice cream shop I go to they wrap your ice cream container in newspaper and it does seem to help keep it a bit cooler for 20 minutes at least

2011 Jul 21
Pasta lover, I also had other plans, but ditched them to bring the ice cream home immediately. Yes, I like it that much. :)

Alternatively, you could have had just a cone to sample while going to your other stops...

2011 Jul 21
Prettytastyreviews I have one of those little lunch coolers (which I keep forgetting at home-;) and one of those M&M coolers bags which I had with me. But it was so hot out last Sunday even the bag felt warm. I wasn't sure how long the ice cream would last in there.

Niall Ditching plans for ice cream sounds like you have your priorities right-;) I am now kicking myself for not ordering a cone at least. My two week staycation starts in 25 hours (not that I'm counting or anything-;) so I now have no excuse to try one of those ice creams!

2011 Jul 26
Okay, here is a photo of the caramel ice cream they sell. Along with the pot of extra caramel syrup I bought because.. what's in the container is not enough. :) The ice cream is $10.80 for a half-litre. The caramel spread is $13.

So I like it sweet. Blame my Québec upbringing... :)

Bigger view here: home.mycybernet.net