Good Food Trucks (aka Eat St.) [General]

2011 Jun 28
I'm tired of the ho-hum chip trucks.. enough of potatoes!

Tell me, are there any real great eats on the side of the road some where here in Capital City?

sarcasmwilling to drive @ $1.20L// :)

2011 Jun 29
I think there is a soup truck that is supposed to be parked at Ottawa U.
The same one that was at Winterlude.

Lansdowne farmer's market on Sundays has a lot of food vendors, starting to think they should call it a food market....where are the "farmers".
making doughnuts and pancakes surely (somewhat sarcastic..but seems mostly food over produce this year esp).

Golden Baguette on Bank st has cheapish Asian/Vietnamese food.
they make some very good soups, the hot and sour soup is around $5 for 500ml or a large container.
I think it is #18 or 19 on the menu (one has mushrooms, the other has more tomato chopped into it).
haven't tried the other soups.
Stir fries are good and a small is around $4 for a square styrofoam container (around a 6x6 I'd say).
I usually get the tofu stir fry, shrimp or chicken.
Croissants are great there (and cheap),muffins are good, they make homemade green tea mochi often.
their butter tarts are only ok, the dough is not that flaky on them (apparentlly I was told they use margarine in the tart dough).
They also have homemade doughnuts.

They are located at 242 Bank st neat lisgar and open Mom-Sat till 6pm.
(I have their info on a card on my fridge.)
You can only pay in cash also.

no really "side of the road" but close enough, and cheap.

2011 Jun 29
"Bite This" is not a truck but a trailer parked across the street from Trailhead on Scott St. Very popular for her good sandwiches and also some noodle dishes as well as fries. Pascale's ice cream has a cart at the Little Italy farmer's market on Saturday (and I think Lansdowne on Sunday) from which she sells amazing ice cream sandwiches and impressive popsicles.

2011 Jun 30
Just a heads up on the soup truck (Stone Soup Foodworks). She was located at Ottawa U for awhile in the spring due to difficulties getting a street licence from the City of Ottawa. (Long story short she can't park on the street but she can park on private property with the owners permission of course.) During the summer months Stone Soup Foodworks will be appearing at the festivals. You can now find the truck at the Jazz Festival but you might want to check the hours. I was planning a lunch time visit there today but Jackie will not be there during the lunch hour since she will be prepping for Canada Day. (Oh well I will have to go back to Murray Street Deli for one of those meat cones-;) I think you will also be able to find Stone Soup Foodworks at the Blues Fest.

IamBacon There seem to be alot of food-truck-type food at the Bluesfest: Forum - Bluesfest dining

2011 Jul 4
In defense of the Lansdowne Farmers' Market food court, of which we are a vendor, we think the lineup is pretty good this season!
Baked Potatoes and wedges, breakfast omelett, fair trade/organic coffee, indian food, wood fired pizza, iced tea and flavoured lemonade, small pancakes from Holland, Thai food, farmers' breakfast with a large variety of meats, pancakes, french toast, etc. good variety of tastes.
We have developed a food truck and we were in the lineup on Elgin on Canada Day. I think we blended in too much with all of the chip trucks. Ours was the only truck not selling fried food, but somewhat healthy food. We did very well and received alot of good comments on our selection. Although, in hindsight we should have sold a poutine on our wedges! This city loves poutine!
Food trucks are huge in the states and have been going strong in Hamilton and Toronto. Its only a matter of time before the city is presurred into accepting food trucks of different varieties. The rules at the moment don't cater to variety.
Its been a slow start to the farming harvest this year. Most farmers will tell you its a normal year and the last 2 years were earlier harvesting years. Have patience prettytasty, the bounty will come!

2011 Aug 11
I just had a Thai chicken vermicelli soup from a truck parked on Lisgar, corner of Elgin on the same side as the courthouse. I was surprised, very tasty and only 5$. You can get a side serving of hot sauce to go with it.

2011 Sep 13
I went back today to the truck green truck on Lisgar and tried the spring rolls. A steal at $3.25 for 2. Crispy, not greasy, filled with glass vermicelli, pork, chicken, wood ear, carrots etc... DELICIOUS! Served with a tasty Vietnamese style fish sauce for dipping. I could have easily eaten 12.

2011 Sep 13
Just to let everyone know, a few months ago Whalesbone was circulating a petition relating to a new (quiet) city initiaive to slowly phase out all downtown food trucks and stands.

Whalesbone wanted a mobile fish sandwich truck and were turned down on that basis.

I'm fully supportive of cutting down on the amount of chip trucks and hot dog stands, but to just make blanket policies like that is so counterproductive.

Vancouver had the same problem a couple of years ago. INstead of refusing t grant licences they simply said they will only be granting licences to concepts that are unique and under represented.

The result? You can get just about anything from a food stand in Vancouver nowadays, in Ottawa you can get hot dogs and fries...