Hot Banana Pepper plants ! [General]

2011 Jun 25
This year I decided to try growing some banana peppers. I picked up some plants at the "Botanix" near the Alonzo Wright bridge.

1. The plants are very prolific and are already producing. And as I take peppers, the plant makes even more.

2. These things are large (about 6" when they start shading from light green to yellow), flavorful, and HOT, HOT, HOT. I never had a banana pepper that hot ever before. I wonder if the pickled ones you get at sandwich shops are less intense because of the pickling? Straight from the plant it will blow your head off. I'm used to spicy food and my mouth was still on fire 20 min later.

2011 Jun 25
that sounds exciting. i am growing a habanero plant this year, however aphids have moved in and so far I haven't been able to completely stop them. spraying them with a homemade concoction is also killing some of the flowers, so I may not get any habaneros this year.

2011 Jun 25
If you can bring the plant indoors in the fall, it will more than make up for it next year. I don't have any aphids, lots of ladybugs, fireflies and such around though.