Ontario 'street food' rules [General]

2007 May 31
www.cbc.ca

Chef dishes out leggy street meat alternative
Last Updated: Wednesday, May 30, 2007 | 4:50 PM ET
CBC News
A local chef served up frog-leg porridge at Toronto City Hall Wednesday in an effort to highlight how diverse the city's street meats could be in the future.

"It's simple, it's clean, and it's a hell of a lot healthier than a damn hot dog," said Guy Rubino, owner of the downtown Toronto restaurant Rain.

Politicians and reporters gathered at Nathan Philips Square warily tasted Rubino's dish, which was doled out in Chinese-style cardboard boxes.

The chef first discovered the dish on a trip to Singapore, a country that impressed him with its tasty street food.

Rubino has teamed up with the city's Board of Health to show that there can be nutritious street food alternatives to the current hot dog monopoly.

Under provincial law, hot dogs and sausages are the only food that can legally be sold from a street cart.

Board of Health Chair John Filion is asking the province to change its rules, but he says Queen's Park hasn't yet responded.

The city's top chefs will be serving up a variety of street foods at a lunch-time food fair on July 13 at City Hall.

2007 May 31
This is the most ridiculous, arbitrary and culturally restrictive legislation on food I've ever seen in my time. I understand the need for pasteurization, so I roll with that even though I think unpasteurized dairy is far superior in taste and texture. But restricting the type of meat that can be sold is just asinine. I fully support this chef, he's doing the right thing!!! It's high time someone busts up the hotdog mafia!!!

2007 Jun 7
Guy Rubino is one of the 2 brothers on the excellent TV show "Made to order".

I agree with the previous poster, the restriction is ridiculous. Hopefully they can get that reversed and we'll see more variety in foods that are sold on the street. :)

It says it's a "provincial law", does anyone know if Québec has the same law?

2007 Jun 9
I really hope that this law is repealed soon. I would love to see Thai street vendors and be able to indulge in noodles and satays instead of the ever-repetitive hot dog.

2007 Jun 27
Last time I was in TO, there were a couple Thai places selling food on the street on Yonge near Eglington....weren't "street carts" per se, but just selling on the sidewalk in front of the restaurants.
Some of the best spring rolls I've ever had....