Hot sauce? [General]

2007 May 29
Last night I made fried rice for supper and I ended up using the last droplet of hot sauce on my meal. I usually have a backup bottle in my cupboard but no such luck. AACK! I have scrambled eggs planned for Sunday breakfast and I am going into withdrawls already... I'm really addicted to the Marie Sharpe's habanero sauce which I used to get at Chilly Chiles but they are no longer in the market. Does anyone know where to get this stuff? Or can anyone recommend a favourite brand?

2007 May 29
My favorite brand is a Portugese hot sauce called 'Piri Piri'. I ate it all the time when I was in Portugal and I found some at the Portugese convenience store on Beechwood Ave....but I can't remember the name of the store!

2007 May 29
Chilly Chiles does mail order. A friend uses this service and has no complaints. You never know, if you order today you might get your sauce in time for Sunday!

www.chillychiles.com/

2007 May 29
I know the Portuguese store at 77 Beechwood; it's the Europa Food Centre. Mario's Food Centre at 381 McArthur also has piri-piri sauce. I think the Lisbon Bakery on Baseline near Greenbank does as well. I'll make a note to add these vendors to the site later. :-)

I love piri-piri too, especially on anything grilled, but I don't think it will have quite the kick that Pasta lover is looking for. Piri-piri peppers are decently hot but not compared to habaneros!

2007 May 29
I can also vouch for CC's mailorder practices. They're a great establishment. Im sorry to hear thay they are no longer at their real time location though.

2007 May 29
I saw piripiri sauce at the Bagelshop on Wellington.

2007 May 29
I can sell you the hal bottle I have left in my fridge ;) Seriously thouhg, I never use it. I love to use Sirracha whenever I can, and I really like this stuff called Smack My Ass and Call Me Sally hot sauce. It's really smoky and hot. Anyhow, I can't remeber where I got my bottle. I think it was somewhere in the market. You can always order it on the net at www.drchilepepper.com/
or directly from chilly chilies: www.chillychiles.com

And remember, life isnt like a box of chocolates, it's like a jar of jalapenos: what you do today, might burn your ass tommorow ;)

2007 May 30
For the fried rice, try “Koon Yick Wah Kee” brand “Soy Chilli Sauce.” It comes in 16oz jars with a red plastic lid. For the first third of the bottle, as I use it up, I water it down with soy sauce because I find it too hot. Don’t worry; it doesn’t dilute the taste much. You should be able to find it in any of the grocery stores along Somerset.

2007 May 30
Pasta Lover,
As a hot sauce fanatic, who swears by Melinda's Habenaro sauce... and used to work for Chilly Chiles briefly... CC is actually just in Navan, maybe a twenty minute drive from downtown. I've had to order from them as well, but it takes three business days. So if you have a car, or know someone who does, just go drop by! Or, like ed said, try some chili sauces from a chinese grocery store, they rock as well - and this is coming from a habenaro lover as well!

2007 May 30
Well this has certainly turned into a hot topic hehehe... Thanks for all the suggestions. I am due for a trip to Beechwood soon since I plan on visiting Jacobsons. I'll take Foodlover's suggestion and visit that Portuguese store while there and I may very well try some of that piri piri sauce although it may not be hot enough but I love trying new products. I had forgotten that Chilly Chiles has that store in Navan. I don't have a car by one of my friends does and she lives in Navan. I may be able to bribe her with a box of chocolate biscottis...

2007 May 30
TJ...this is totally off topic but I was on a bike relay team in Whitehorse once and we called our team "Smack My Ass And Call Me Sally"!!! We even had spandex pants made with the name on it...LOL!

2007 May 30
Haha! That's awesome foodlover! I wish I had a pair of shorts that said that :P

2009 Jan 27
for hot sauces, I make my own

simply caramelized over slow heat 1/2 chopped fresh garlic in a cup of peanut/veg oil, stirring occasionally
meanwhile roast a whole bag of what is labeled as "world's hottest chilis" found in Asian food stores they are actually dried Thai bird chilis
roast them 'til they are almost black

upon removing from oven, hold breath or you will go into a coughing frenzy
then throw them in the blender and zip away (suggestion: place a piece of plastic wrap over the top before blending

when garlic is a crispy and a little darker than golden brown
slowly add to blender
(DO NO TURN ON THE BLENDER!)
adding the oil helps get all the chili powder out and keeps it from flying into the air

i once read on reuters.com that a section of London (UK) was shot down for fumes that caused violent coughing complaints from pedestrians
it was the preparation of this sauce in a Thai resto (traditionally fish sauce is added to it but I now do that later on as not to over-salt my food)

this sauce keeps indefinitely in the fridge

anyone brave enough to try this, I hope you enjoy
I love it on my morning eggs

2009 Jan 27
Hey Obi .... You're so sick .... I love it !!!!

2009 Jan 29
Chef Obi: out of curiosity, don't know if you've tried w/ both, but if you have, do you notice a difference between blender-izing your hot pastes vs. using a mortar & pestle?

2009 Jan 31
thanks CC
IF, I would need to get a Lao-style mortar and pestle as it is conical shamed and rather deep
the two I currently have send the chilis all over the counter, the floor, my eye
lol

2009 Jan 31
Chiles are NOT mucus membrane friendly ... I know ... I found out after cutting lots of Jalapeno Peppers and visiting the washroom with capsium coated fingers. Yeeeeesh !!!

2009 Jan 31
was that what all the howling was about last week?