Can you recommend a small appliance repair shop? [General]

2011 May 12
When it rains it pours. Both of my most used small appliances (coffee grinder and immersion blender) no longer work so I am now on the hunt for a repair person. Can anyone make any recommendations? I live in centretown but I am willing to go anywhere on a bus route...

2011 May 12
Try J.R. Perry Electronics on Wellilngton (Hintonburg).

2011 May 12
Yup, if JR cannot fix it, then it cannot be fixed. He is on the north side of Wellington just east of Parkdale, on the ground floor of one of the tall buildings there.

#2 stops right near there

2011 May 12
Thanks! I used to frequent a repair shop on O'Connor but it closed up shop a few years ago. The owners were getting on in years so I suspect they decided to retire. There was nothing they couldn't fix and I sure miss them. I will keep JR in mind.

2011 May 15
We are such a sorry disposable society--good luck and keep us posted. I looked all over to repair old technology TV's , electronics--no luck. We used to go to a guy on Churchill Avenue a few years ago. If anyone knows if he is still in business or if there is another business let us know...

2011 May 15
Off-topic but still important: I believe that Hagopian, on Merivale close to Carling, repairs old TVs. You may want to check them out: www.hagopiantv.com/

2011 May 15
WC, did you ask JR Perry if he could fix your TV? I'd be surprised to hear if he could not.

2011 May 16
This site may help you: www.thiswigs.com

To Buy Amazing Cheap Designer Shoes & bags, click www.oppell.com

2011 May 17
Sometimes it's not worth it to fix an old appliance or TV.

I had a spare computer in the kitchen for looking up recipes and it was running a Dell CRT monitor. It worked fine, but took up space, so my son asked me to get a flat screen monitor for it. I knew my wife would probably question the expense, so I decided to bolster the case by looking up the energy consumption of the CRT vs the flat screen. Well what a surprise ! A flat screen monitor uses about $40 in electricity per year, if left on all the time. And a CRT? $300. A new flat screen only costs around $100. So I was actually throwing away $260 per year by not getting the flat screen. And the new one paid for itself in less than 6 months in energy savings alone. Plus it's better for the environment long term. And I even managed to sell the old CRT on kijiji for $5 (I told the buyer it worked great but they use a lot of energy, and he didn't mind).

2011 May 24
Thanks witchypoo and zymurgist for recommending J.R.'s. With reviews like that he must be good-;) I headed out to Hintonburg early Saturday afternoon all to find out they are only open from 9:00 am to noon on Saturdays. My bad for not phoning first. I will try again next week though.

My field trip to Hintonburg was not all in vain though. I paid a visit to the Parkdale market while I was in the 'hood and found out they have a newly opened field house. It's new this year - even the building is new - and they only sell locally grown produce. I only settled for some Halls apples on this visit but I plan on picking up some Le Coprin mushrooms and some other local goodness while I'm there. I should really shop in Hintonburg more often...

2011 May 24
The building is not new - just very majorly renovated.

2014 Oct 23
The power went out yesterday and now my coffee maker doesn't work properly. Oh, well. I guess it's time to see if this 30-year-old Braun can be revived once more. Perry Electronics is on my way to work, sort of (Wellington near Parkdale). I guess I'll drop it on by and see what they can do.

Never fear for my morning jolt. I've put the backup Braun into service and it's been chugging away like a champ.

I knew I'd seen something like this here before. Thank you Google Search Tool (registered trademark)!