Good/affordable nougat in Ottawa? [General]

2011 May 6
I am looking for a place to buy nougat in Ottawa. The only place I know is actually in Gatineau, where they sell fresh daily-made gourmet nougat which is delicious but costly. And this request is really for an 85 year-old woman who has a soft spot in her heart for nougat (on a budget!).

Anybody know of "common" but good nougat somewhere in town?

Thanks.

2011 May 6
They have many different types of nougat at the Candy Store on Richmond Rd, near the Mountain Equipment Coop store. I think they're pretty affordable too!

2011 May 6
La Bottega Nicastro in the Byward Market has a good selection of nougat ~ the oblong (30cm-ish) blocks or small individually-wrapped ones in a box or, sometimes, mini-blocks by the front cashes. I find the prices very reasonable...and you can often score one on sale. :)

Luciano Foods on Preston Street and the Nicastro shops also have it.

2011 May 11
I know you said 'buy', but have you thought of the verb 'make'?

candy.about.com

2011 May 14
I want to try making some.
Is nougat hard to make? I have a big bag of Marcona almonds here :)

Swiss pastries usually has some, it is french nougat that is soft- around $4 something a bar I think.

I know Chocodirect.com sells a bunch and if you watch their clearance section they have very good deals, but you never know what is coming up in clearance.
I just bought 10 Cote D'or pistachio bars for $10 as an example.
Shipping is also $5 anywhere.
*I do like shopping locally, but there is one brand of sugar free chocolate I can not find locally and buy it there and send that as a gift to family in another city.
You also usually get a few "extra" things with your order of chocodirect items..usually random things from the sale section.
-my last order I got as extras a Tohi apple cinnamon chocolate bar, some orange and chocolate bar that was really good and...some licorice wood sticks?? you are supposed to chew on them (that was really a "random" item I did not expect).

chocodirect.com

From Chocodirect, at Christmastime I ordered the two kinds of Spanish nougat they carry.
I haven't seen these anywhere here. The ANTIU XIXONA "alicante nougat tart" is like a round flat disk and it is the hard nougat. Everyone liked that one a lot.
Also bought the egg yolk nougat, had never seen that anywhere. Not as many people liked that one- it reminded me more of marzipan than nougat, I'm sure some people like that one...I guess.

La Bottega is also really good,I like the hard nougat with the almonds from Italy...yum!

2011 May 21
Went to Mid-East Food Centre today : located @ 1010 Belfast Rd, corner of St Laurent...near the oc transpo garage.

They have a Nougat aisle, there are at least 30+ kinds of nougat at great prices.

Bought one called allesia torrone "traditional nougat with 60% almonds"
it is made in Italy and the box is 150g/ 5oz and price is......$3.79!!!!

best price I have seen, box also says "prepared for Aurora importing".

I have not tried this yet,but there was also a soft nougat w limoncello liquer I bought.