Help! Desperately seeking coffee syurps / mocha powder? [General]

2011 May 1
Hey all!

I've recently been bitten for the first time (late to the game, I know) by the flavoured espresso beverages, and I want to make my own at home! I've gotten an espresso maker and espresso beans, but I need flavouring syrups, and preferably mocha powder!

I've looked at Loblaw's and Independent, and I didn't see anything there. I spoke to my local Starbucks, and it seems that while they're willing to sell it, they're an unreliable source, selling only if they have extra in stock, which is not always the case.

Does anyone know a good place for syrups / mocha powder? I will be eternally grateful if you do!

Thanks so much!
Sebastian

2011 May 1
We have been making vanilla syrup and have discovered that it's quite a bit cheaper than buying since we have lattes probably every day. And it's very easy.

We make two cups of simple syrup (ie two parts sugar to one part water and a *tiny* pinch of salt) and add two tablespoons vanilla extract after the syrup comes to a boil. Our extract is homemade so we have to give it 30 seconds or so for the alcohol to boil off. We pack it up in plastic squeeze bottles and we're set.

We made a mocha syrup as well. We whisked good cocoa powder into simple syrup (with the pinch of salt) in a 1:1 ratio. If you wanted to make it as a powder (great idea actually) you could use a mix of icing sugar and cocoa. A 2:1 ratio of cocoa to powdered sugar might be a good start.

2011 May 1
Urbanroutine: these are awesome ideas for starting off, and I'm going to try them absolutely! Thanks! I'll report back.