Angostura Bitters [Food/Vendor]

2011 May 1
Where can I buy them in Ottawa??

2011 May 1
Any decent loblaws should have them in the drink aisle with the grenadine syrup and drink mixers. I worked at south keys for years and they always had it.

2011 May 1
I picked a bottle up where Slow mentioned, but at my Independent Grocer. I use it when making drinks like an old fashioned. Just curious, what others use them for...a bottle seems to last a very long time...

2011 May 1
Metro... at least at the one Merivale @ Viewmount.

2011 May 1
Loblaws at South Keys

2011 May 1
Thanks everyone for the quick response -- obviously haven't been looking in the right aisle! We put a view drops in various drinks -- adds a special something! Very popular in Australia is a refreshing drink -- Lemon, Lime and Bitters

Ingredients (serves 4)

* 1.25 litres 7-up or Sprite, chilled
* 1/2 cup Roses lime juice cordial
* 1 teaspoon Angostura Bitters (see note)
* 1 cup ice cubes
* Angostura Bitters and lemon slices, to serve

Method

Combine 7-up or Sprite, cordial and bitters in a jug. Divide ice between 4 glasses. Shake a few drops of bitters into each glass. Top with 7-up or sprite mixture. Serve with lemon slices.

Truly delicious!

2011 May 1
I bought some after watching too much Mad Men and wanting to make old fashioneds while in a suit.

2014 Mar 10
...bump!...

I spotted some at Nicastros on Merivale last weekend if anyone is still looking for it.

2014 Mar 12
Also, you could approach the Dragonlady, my wife-like girlfriend. She is also now known as The Bitter Woman.

She has taken over the business of making bitters and is doing a much better job than I. While I am great at picking out particular tastes within food or beverages, she is the genius who can figure out how to make it better.

Anyway, I had reconstructed an Angostura recipe from an old manuscript that probably only has a 10th of the botanicals that the original recipe claims, but it is really quite good. My bitter half made some corrections and made it even better.

If you want to give them a try, send her an email at:
geminidreammail@gmail.com