pickled turnip [Food/Vendor]

2011 Apr 27
hi,
where can i buy pickled turnip? the kind that you find in lebanese restaurants.
thanks

2011 Apr 27
Cedars and Co. has them by the deli

2011 Apr 27
They're really easy to make, too, if you ever get the urge. My oldest son LOVES them -- calls them "pink pickles". ;)

2011 Apr 27
I *just* bought some less than an hour ago at Damas Supermarket. They're wedges, not sticks, but they're pink! Haven't tasted them yet...

I've added a food entry here: Pickled Turnip

2011 Apr 27
House of Cheese has them

2011 Apr 28
You can also get them at Middle East Bakery . But make sure to take a little extra money if you go - they have soooo many awesome foods there you will be tempted to pick up a few extras while you are there-;)

refashionista Can you tell us how you make your pickled turnips? I could live off them...

2011 Apr 28
Here's a link to my recipe:

refashionista.wordpress.com

1.5 lbs small turnips
1 small beet
3 garlic cloves
3 cups water
1 cup vinegar
1/4 cup pickling salt
1/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp black peppercorns
1/2 tsp dried rosemary

Scrub turnips and beet — peel, if their skin is very tough. Cut the turnips into 1cm spears. Cut the beet into slices. Pack the turnip, beets and garlic into a 1.5 liter jar, alternating in layers.

In a medium saucepan, bring the water, pickling salt, sugar, peppercorns and rosemary to a boil. Remove from heat and add the vinegar. Pour into the jar. The brine should cover the turnip. If it doesn’t add a bit more salted water.

Cover tightly, shake, and store in fridge. Allow the pickles to sit 1 – 2 weeks before eating.

Note: If you like a less spicy pickle, reduce the amount of peppercorns.

2011 Apr 29
Unfortunately, House of Cheese did not have them. Not wanting to leave with her hands empty, my girlfriend asked the person behind the counter what cheese he suggested. He suggested Le Cendrillon - a surface ripened ash covered goat's milk cheese. That cheese is good stuff! Its trapezoid shape and greyish colour is very attractive, but could be a bit intimidating at first. It has a pungent smell and it's very tasty without being too powerful. It was delicious on water crackers. I definitely recommend, especially it being a Canadian Cheese.

2011 Apr 29
Middle East Food Mart, on St-Laurent @Tremblay has them.