Living Social Coupons [General]

2011 Apr 21
WARNING
I recieved todays e-mail and the coupon looked good - For Dantessa Italian food on Cooper. After clicking away they confirmed my purchase and then said it had been billed to "John Doe's" mastercard. John Doe is a work collegue of mine. It is very scary that the accounts could get mixed like that. When we called the company's 800 number we got a ton of atitude and they said he must have logged on on my computer. We both are completely clear that that did not happen. We have both cancelled our accounts with Living Social but want to warn others. I don't believe your Credit card info is safe with living social.

2011 Apr 21
sounds like the site is running off an ip address and someone linked your computer with your friends.....kinda scary.

2011 Apr 22
I recently had my credit card info stolen either in a store or somehow online.

"someone"(s) in Toronto and other cities charged thousands of dollars to my Visa,all I know is part of it was CSN Stores online, some gas, stuff in a few stores.

My card is canceled and I am being refunded the fraudulent charges.

All this happened right after I went to a Shoppers Drugmart on Bank st as the last transaction.

Gee,I must be having very bad luck.
First my health info is stolen from being stored on a laptop at the Ottawa hospital. they sent me a letter in the mail about this.
Some idiot thought it was ok to put info on a laptop and not transfer it and left it unlocked weekends....lots of peoples info was stolen from that.

Well, guess you can't really trust that many sites thesedays.

maybe use a disposable card for those online deals.
you can get those at gas stations with no extra fees.

2011 Apr 22
In defense of Shoppers, I understand that often the thieves steal your data but then hold it for days and even weeks. A friend who worked as a bank manager for years told me not to blame the place of my last transaction as it could have been anywhere.

What appauled me about Living Social was that their glitch had ME using someone elses card, and worse, they were completely unconcerned with the breech in security.

2011 Apr 22
It is a good idea to have a credit card with a low limit designated for online purchases. That way if there is fraud on that card you know it originated from an online purchase, and if the limit is low, they can't do that much damage.

2011 Apr 22
I always thought that every time you give your card to a server in a restaurant they take it to a machine that uses the same communication lines and networks as if you had used it yourself online. Plus they often have it alone in private for a while. I buy things online all the time and have never had a problem. Just lucky I guess. I have had the bank call me to verify strange purchases, and when I went to Russia they blocked it immediately because I hadn't told them ahead of time. I don't sweat it. Maybe I should.

2011 Apr 23
Guess I should clarify, I'm not blaming Shoppers...just saying it was the last transaction I did myself.

So maybe it was earlier that someone used my card?? who knows.

I don't think I've had too many problems using my card online though.
But every year I have a few issues though.

I did have a problem last year with Scotiabank in Herongate mall though.
They called me saying my bank card needed replacement or something and to go to my branch.
I get there, speak to a teller about my account and he hands me someone else's printed info and never asked for ID.
After telling her a zillion times that was not my info she had, and after giving her my bank card with my name ect..she still hands me the wrong info.

Teller then throws out the other person't info int he regular garbage and not the special paper bin that is locked.
(was watching her..so saw all this).
Teller then gets the manager and she denies throwing out customer info in the regular garbage bin...

I mentioned to the manager that the teller had thrown out info in the regular garbage and so he/she goes to check that and there was customer info in the trash.
I really do not trust that branch anymore after this,

anyways,wasn't planning on making this post so long.