Making chocolate truffles what liquor to add to pistachio? [General]

2011 Apr 18
I am planning on making some chocolate truffles this week.
Already have the chocolate I want to use -chocolate and caramelized pistachio 70% dark chocolate (was able to get 10 Cote D'or bars for a total of $8 :)

Not too sure what would be a good liquor to use, I thought of using Amaretto since I know a lot of recipes use pistachio and Amaretto or almond together.

What else would be good to use,I don't want something to overpower the chocolate and nuts.

Thought of using vodka..but that sounds kind of plain??

2011 Apr 18
I'd say Amaretto or Kahlua....I might consider trying Caramel Baileys or Grand Marnier as well.

2011 Apr 18
I started thinking about what flavours are used with these ingredients in other cuisine. Rose water and orange (Cointreau, Citrónge (Mexican orange liqueur), Grand Marnier (sweet), Triple Sec) are often associated with pistachio.

I'd say some sort of chocolate flavoured liquor would be nice to keep a clarity of flavour and to keep things simple.

2011 Apr 19
Thanks for the ideas!

I have never heard of Citronge before...sounds interesting.
rosewater is a very middle eastern flavor (also not a big fan of rosewater..even though I do eat deserts with it often).

Triple Sec sounds interesting...

I know Almond is usually mixed with pistachio for ice cream, it is almost impossible to get ice cream that actually tastes like pistachio around here.

right now narrowing it down to Cointreau or Triple Sec...

2011 Apr 20
Orange blossom water might also be a good choice -- again, a Middle Eastern flavour, but very orangey. :) Clic has one that you can buy at most Middle Eastern grocers.

2011 Apr 22
Cedars grocery has orange blossom and rose blossom water.
Might be Clic or Cedars brand?
it comes in a glass bottle and around $2 i think...