Rancilio Rocky for sale... [General]

2011 Apr 11
Someone has one for sale on Kijiji if anyone is looking: ottawa.kijiji.ca

2011 Apr 11
They aren't offering much of a discount though! They claim a MSRP of $425+HST, yet GreenBeanery.ca sells it for $385 + $20 coffee credit = $365. So asking $325 for a used one seems a little steep, even taking into account tax and shipping. The least they could have done is wipe away the spilled coffee grounds before taking the promotional photo! ;-)

I own this exact unit and can endorse it as a great performer! One small annoyance is that the grind button has a dead man's handle, meaning you need two hands to grind coffee -- one to hold down the button and the other to hold your container under the spout.

2011 Apr 11
FF: Have you ever had to replace the burrs on your Rocky? I'd love to have one just for the sake of having one, but I can't for the life of me justify buying it. Especially since I go through a pound of coffee a month tops.

2011 Apr 12
Nope, my burrs are still going strong. I use it primarily for my daily aeropress coffee, meaning I only go through 1/3 lb of beans per week unless we have visitors. That is hardly taxing for an industrial strength device. I understand that burrs should last through 500-750 lbs of beans, so that works out (conservatively) to 20-30 years for me.

I justified the cost because I spent $35 on an Aeropress instead of $500-$1000 on an espresso machine. ;-)

2011 Apr 12
Well, it has been two years since I spent $500-$1000 on an espresso machine...

2011 Apr 12
Say FF, I just might have to try that angle - let's see, I didn't buy the espresso machine and only spent $5.97 + taxes on this "Today's Housewares" coffeemaker at Food Basics that works like a charm, so I deserve a nice grinder. Ya, I like that, I'll run that by swmbo'd and order one asap.
Maybe I won't bid on that Rocky; anybody who doesn't take care to clean it to try and sell it probably wouldn't take time to care for it properly. And while I assume the price may be negotiable it's still an unrealistic asking price.

Momomoto I bet your swmbo'd still remembers that expense!

2011 Apr 12
Andy :) It's been less controversial than you'd think it would be. After all, we can drink lattes all weekend now!

2011 Apr 13
Get one of those that makes two shots at once. Or give it to her as a gift.