Spring Garden [General]

2011 Apr 9
The garlic is up (Georgian Crystal in foreground) as are the sorrel and green onions. What's up in your gardens?

2011 Apr 9
I haven't dared to go look, because if I am seen in the yard I will get a rake stuck in my hand. I hope we have sorrel up as well!

2011 Apr 9
Our chives are about 6" high already! Always the first thing up for us.

2011 Apr 9
DH reports that our rhubarb is up.

2011 Apr 10
Can you eat Snow Drops? I've got a bunch coming up in the back yard.

2011 Apr 11
was helping my mom in her garden today and she had chives, red amareth (seeds must have dropped by itself last year) and lettuce she planted earlier in the week..

2011 Apr 11
When is a good time to plant this year? I was thinking of starting some things from seed outdoors this weekend, however some gardeners are telling me it is still too early...any thoughts?

2011 Apr 11
It is still too early to plant - there's still risk of frost, which will stunt or kill off your germinated seeds. Many do not plant until May, but you could start some planters indoors now and transfer them when the overnight temps get a bit warmer/more consistent.

2011 Apr 12
there are a few things that can be planted as soon as the ground can be worked such as certain types of lettuce and spinach. My mom also planted some snow peas to try...