Tuscan Kale [General]

2011 Mar 29
Does anyone know where I can buy Tuscan Kale, also referred to as Black Kale in Ottawa. I can only find the large curly leaf variety.

Thanks

2011 Mar 29
Is this kale also referred to as cavelo nero? If so the only place I recall seeing it is at the Lansdowne Farmers Market later in the summer (August or so).

2011 Mar 29
Yes, Cavelo nero and Lacinato are other references.
I will have to wait until harvest time if there are no other options.
Thanks

2011 Apr 4
Not sure if you are still looking for Tuscan Kale but you could always substitute savoy cabbage.

2011 Apr 7
The Herb & Spice on Bank Street usually, and currently, has a very decent selection of chards, kale and other greens (ex. dandelion). I was just there and they do have black leaf kale/Cavolo Nero as well as green and red - all organic, from the U.S. and 2.29 for a good sized bunch.

Side note: When I had a garden (in downtown Ottawa) I grew black kale along with multi-coloured Swiss chard. I knew the soil wasn't the greatest so got good compost, turned it all deeply, planted the tiny seeds, watered and hoped. Well, it worked. In a word: Superabundance. It was the summer/autumn of beautiful salads. Fantastic lush rows of intense pink, orange and yellow leaves between rows of serious dark.

2011 Apr 9
Cedars grocery always seems to have a lot of leafy green things like kale, some kind of kale I think with purple on it, dandelion.

But oddly enough twice I was there last month and they did not have any fresh spinach at all???
so you might or might not find what you want there.

2011 Apr 9
Byward Fruit Market is probably the most reliable source; you can also find it at Farm Boy sometimes.