Robusta [General]

2011 Mar 28
Wow, it is like Jagash was reading my mind! I was just out in the kitchen and thought that I should email my Bolivian supplier to see if he can get me a FT or O Robusta bean that is half decent. I have one of the ones from green beanery and it is a reasonable bean, but it is neither FT nor O so we cannot sell it. We still have a huge box of them if anyone wants to buy some green beans from us. Can probably part with 10 lbs or so I'd guess.

We want to stock and sell a good Robusta - sell it in 1/4lb amounts for blending with a better quality bean.

Robusta (vs Arabica, whence most quality coffee stems) are a fair bit higher in caffeine so some people experiment with blending it for a bit of extra zing.

2011 Mar 28
I'd love to hear more about this, because it's something I've wondered about for a while. Surely there are blends that benefit from having a bit of Robusta in them, rather than just being straight Arabica, right? Espresso blends, for example, where the high caffeine and acidity are of benefit?

2011 Mar 28
We have the Indian Robusta Cherry AB from Greenbeanery

www.greenbeanery.ca

We'll sell the green beans for the same 5 bucks a pound they do, though obviously you will save on shipping :-)

They were purchased about 3 months ago and stored properly in air tight containers.

2011 Mar 29
I found that roasing with Robusta beans can produce a relatively reasonable cup. At least, a home-roasted robusta is better then a stale Arabica and it does have the kick.

I am really curious if there _are_ many robusta FT/O beans out there. The fair trade and organic combination tends to be for the boutique-scale coffees and I can't see that much of a demand for people to get high caf, low flavour expensive coffee.